What book/s are you reading now?

Old March 1st 04, 10:47 PM
Circe

Default What book/s are you reading now?

Katie Jaques wrote:
"Chotii" wrote in message
. ..
"Katie Jaques" wrote in message
m...
Another "must read" series (thankfully only 4 books so far, not
more
than 20!) is Alexander McCall Smith's stories about the No. 1
Ladies'
Detective Agency. Set in Botswana, great stories and wonderful
characters. Can't describe it, you just have to read it G.

Ryan just got finished listening to the whole series on CD (his
mother
bought them and lent them to us - I just lent her 'Dragonfly in
Amber' on
cassette) and I still can't pronounce Mmaramotswe.

Neither can I G

C'mon, you can't say Ma Ra-mots-way? I've looked it up--that's the proper
pronunciation. (But then, I can say Nomfundo Ndwandwe--the name of my former
Zulu au pair--well enough to earn nods of appreciation from her and other
Zulu South Africans, so perhaps I had a head start g.)
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [2 tomorrow.] mom)

Old March 1st 04, 11:08 PM
Chotii

"Circe" wrote in message
Katie Jaques wrote:
"Chotii" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

On the tapes, though, it's pronounced "Mstumblemaramotswe" and every time
I try to pronounce that stumble, or pause, or whatever it is, I fumble it.

--angela

Old March 2nd 04, 03:43 AM
Coccinella

Mainly language and reference things. I noticed it with Angels and my SIL
(Irish) noticed it as well. The plot remains the same. Whatever version it's
a lot of fun.
I saw that "Under the duvet" is out in paperback at the bookstore, so
probably your library has it. It's not a novel, more a collection of her
articles and thoughts. I read some parts of it to DH and he was rolling on
the floor.

Love

--
Nicky

EDD March 26, '04. It's a girl!

Fur Babies

Old March 2nd 04, 03:50 AM
Coccinella

It was the first I read and I could not put it down.
What got me started with the Renaissance theme was "Brunelleschi's dome" by
Ross King. It's absolutely amazing. I am finishing now the second novel in
the Guenevere trilogy by Rosalind Miles and then I want to read
"Michelangelo and the Pope's ceiling" also by Ross King. I am so intrigued
now!
As a student in Pisa, Italy I went to Florence quite often. I sort of miss
it a bit now here. But as soon as my baby girl can travel I have arranged to
go and visit a very dear friend of mine who lives in Tuscany and I would
like to go and visit all the nice places.

Love

--
Nicky

EDD March 26, '04. It's a girl!

Fur Babies

Old March 2nd 04, 03:31 PM
Irene

"Chotii" wrote in message . ..
"Irene" wrote in message
om...
"Chotii" wrote in message

. ..
"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Irene wrote:

Others of my favorites - anything by Neil Gaiman or Emma Bull.

Ooooh, I really like Emma Bull too (I like Gaiman
as well, but not quite as much as Bull).

But didja know that they know each other? Gaiman's assistant is
Lorraine Garland, who is (was) also in Flash Girls (a sort of goth
folk duo) with Bull, and they sing at least one song written by
Gaiman!

Ah yes, the Fabulous Lorraine. Gaiman, Bull, Shetterly, and ...oh, who was
the other one - were all part of the music group 'Cats Laughing' (all OOP
now) and then there was the Flash Girls, which was just Emma Bull and the
Fabulous Lorraine.

--angela (has them all)

Steven Brust is who I think you are thinking of. I don't have any
Cats Laughing, though I do have a solo cd by him - A Rose for
Iconoclastes. I wasn't so impressed by the music, but the liner notes
were really cool. The only Flash Girls I have is the "official"
bootleg of their final concert, which is a lot of fun. (Though the
sound quality is kind of off - I only listen to it in the car!)

That whole Minneapolis writer/musician group seems to be very well
interconnected...there's also the soundtrack to the Brust/Lindholm
novel The Gypsy, by Boiled in Lead. And the last lead singer of
Boiled in Lead, Adam Stemple - his mom is Jane Yolen! (I think that's
as far as I can get with weird interconnections, though...)

Irene
Old March 2nd 04, 04:11 PM
Katie Jaques

"Chotii" wrote in message . ..
"Circe" wrote in message
> [...]
Katie Jaques wrote:
"Chotii" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That's my problem, never knew what to do with that first "M" G.

I'll have to go to Chula Vista this afternoon to vote and get my nails
done, and I'll stop at home and pick up that book!

Grandma Katie
Old March 2nd 04, 04:33 PM
Circe

Katie Jaques wrote:
"Chotii" wrote in message
. ..
On the tapes, though, it's pronounced "Mstumblemaramotswe" and
every time I try to pronounce that stumble, or pause, or whatever it is,

fumble it.

That's my problem, never knew what to do with that first "M" G.

Hmph, well, I looked at a biographical site on Alexander McCall Smith a
while back which assured me that Mma was pronounced "Ma"--no attempt at
pronouncing the first "m" at all. I'd been trying to pronounce the first "m"
in my head while reading up until then, but after reading that, I stopped
bothering.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [2 today] mom)

Old March 2nd 04, 05:18 PM
laurie

Absolutely -- they are fabulous@!

: )

--

Jamie & Taylor

I'm getting a bit antsy waiting for "R"! Didn't Q come out in October of 2002?
Come on Jamie, she's holding out on us!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, almost 3 years and
Christopher, 10 months
Old March 2nd 04, 06:46 PM
Jamie Clark

Apparently R is coming out this summer -- so hold on just a little bit
longer! Mom said that she'll be doing a book tour during the heat of
summer. Although not listed on her website yet, she hopefully will be
posting her Summer 2004 tour schedule soon. Check out her website,
www.suegrafton.com and go to a booksigning if you are so inclined. You can
always say "Hi" and that you are an internet friend of mine!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clark_guest,
Password: Guest1
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

Old March 3rd 04, 02:07 AM
laurie

Apparently R is coming out this summer -- so hold on just a little bit
longer! Mom said that she'll be doing a book tour during the heat of
summer. Although not listed on her website yet, she hopefully will be
posting her Summer 2004 tour schedule soon. Check out her website,
www.suegrafton.com and go to a booksigning if you are so inclined. You can
always say "Hi" and that you are an internet friend of mine!
--

Jamie & Taylor

Absolutely, I will! SOmething to look forward to, yaay! SHe's one of the few
that I buy in hardcover.

"laurie" wrote in message
Absolutely -- they are fabulous@!

: )

--

Jamie & Taylor

I'm getting a bit antsy waiting for "R"! Didn't Q come out in October of

2002?
Come on Jamie, she's holding out on us!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, almost 3 years and
Christopher, 10 months

laurie
mommy to Jessica, almost 3 years and
Christopher, 10 months

Speech & Reading Comprehension: Kids books recommendations jrztem General 4 July 25th 04 01:46 PM
Reading to a one year old jojo General 20 October 11th 03 01:59 PM
Reading problems and behavior... Tom Cruise talks... Tracy Sherwood General 0 October 11th 03 07:54 AM
Reading software Nikki General 0 August 8th 03 09:47 PM
reading to a book vandal blacksalt General 22 July 10th 03 07:13 PM