Wash new baby items?

Old February 10th 06, 04:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Wash new baby items?

G'day folks:

More questions! I've just been spending some time in the baby's room,
delightedly unwrapping all of the adorable little baby things that I
got at my surprise shower last weekend to put them away. I'm grinning
like a goon, looking at all the cute little bibs and sleepers and
blankets and....

OK, you probably get the idea. All first-time mommies probably do
these things in the weeks before baby's arrival.

Anyhow, my question is, do I need to launder all the new little sheets
and washcloths and towels and clothes and such before they are used on
baby? I think there was a thread on this recently but I can't find it.
I guess I'm entering the 'nesting' phase, want to get the baby's room
all ready for his or her arrival - only six short weeks until our due
date! Yippee!

Thanks!

KD

Old February 10th 06, 05:43 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I washed everything new for the baby. There were some pretty lacy dresses
and other things that I didn't at first until I knew the size of the baby,
but definitely sheets, washcloths, and other things I knew I would use at
first. And you don't have to use different washing powder unless the baby
has sensitive skin and you don't have to wash it separately from your
regular wash.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

oups.com...

Old February 10th 06, 05:50 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Thanks Sue! I've mostly got diaper shirts and washcloths, a couple of
sleepers at the moment. It's so difficult to get clothes when you don't
know if your bundle of joy is a boy or a girl! Most things are blue or
pink. So we're sort of holding off on lots of clothes, as our choices
are grey, green and yellow for now.

I'll go toss 'em in the washer right now! Hee hee...I've really turned
into a baby prep lunatic this afternoon.

KD

Old February 10th 06, 06:00 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Isn't it something what a new baby does. I just love those new baby things.
Have fun, but don't stress yourself out. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

oups.com...

Old February 10th 06, 06:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

personally I wouldn't, we ended up having to take stuff back as we got
repeat gifts!

Anne

Old February 10th 06, 06:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Sue writes:

: I washed everything new for the baby. There were some pretty lacy dresses
: and other things that I didn't at first until I knew the size of the baby,
: but definitely sheets, washcloths, and other things I knew I would use at
: first. And you don't have to use different washing powder unless the baby
: has sensitive skin and you don't have to wash it separately from your
: regular wash.

I have an interesting story about this. When I was a new parent long
ago, I was concerend about this kind of thing. So, believing the
advertisements, we switched to Ivory Snow to wash the baby things.
Well, that stuff was almost impossible to rinse out of the wash.
The baby got a rash. As soon as we switched back to our regualr
detergent the rash went away.

Larry
Old February 10th 06, 06:34 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I did, and would! It will get rid of any dust, or lint, or other stuff
that it came in contact with during production, shipping, and just
being in the store!

I wouldn't use any special detergent unless you really want to. We
just make sure to use dye free, phosphorus free, scent free, etc.
products. Then it is easy to wash all of our clothes together. I have
a friend, though, who washes all their clothes in Ivory Snow because
she still wants her 3 year old to smell like a baby...

KR

Old February 10th 06, 07:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I washed all my son's stuff before he was born as this seemed to be
advised. However, when he turned 2 months but had outgrown his 0-3 mth
stuff I didn't bother washing any new stuff and haven't since. Yet I
don't regret doing it as it was an enjoyable part of the a new
mum-to-be ritual and it was the only time I ever ironed them. As for
washing powder, we use the soft stuff as it does make a difference to
poor ds's eczema but don't use conditoner (bad for eczema) and have to
tumble dry everything to keep it soft.

Jeni

Old February 10th 06, 11:20 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Which is CRAZY because that stuff is SO harsh on baby's skin. My DD's
dermatologist says she hates the people who market that stuff (dreft, Ivory
Snow etc.) because it's full of fragrances which are very irritating, yet
the marketing implies it's gentler on baby's skin than other types. As soon
as we switched to dye-free, fragrance-free evrything, my DD's skin cleared
up immensely...