Interesting local article on baby names

Old September 25th 03, 04:44 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Default Interesting local article on baby names

Circe writes:

On analogy with the name Sara, the pronunciation LAIR-AH for Lara seems
perfectly valid to me and certainly not a spelling issue. I've never
known ANYONE named Sara who expected her name to be pronounced
SAR-AH--it's always SAIR-AH.

Yet here in the UK, *I*'ve never met anyone called Sara who expected it to be
pronounced SAIR-AH - that name is IME spelled Sarah. Sara, here, is IME
pronounced SAR-AH, and I was surprised when I first read of it being
pronounced the same way as Sarah.

Sidheag
edd Oct 13th

Old September 25th 03, 05:06 PM
Circe

"Sidheag McCormack" wrote in message
Circe writes:
On analogy with the name Sara, the pronunciation LAIR-AH for Lara seems
perfectly valid to me and certainly not a spelling issue. I've never
known ANYONE named Sara who expected her name to be pronounced
SAR-AH--it's always SAIR-AH.

Yet here in the UK, *I*'ve never met anyone called Sara who expected it to

be
pronounced SAIR-AH - that name is IME spelled Sarah. Sara, here, is IME
pronounced SAR-AH, and I was surprised when I first read of it being
pronounced the same way as Sarah.

Here in SoCal, at least, Sara is just a variant of Sarah. They are
pronounced identically. I suppose there may be the occasional exception to
that rule, but I haven't encountered it.

I do find it paradoxical that Sarah should be pronounced SARI-AH when it is
*spelled* the way you say Sara is pronounced g.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)

"No parking passed this sign" -- hotel parking lot sign

Old September 25th 03, 05:08 PM
Circe

"Penny Gaines" wrote in message
Sophie wrote in :
Boys and girls share some names, too, respectively: Alex and Alix,
Cameron and Camrynn or Kamryn, Dominic and Domique, Jaiden (for both)
and Jordan and Jordyn.

I hope these parents were picked up for child cruelty. Gimme a break!

I would count Alex as perfectly normal name, and has been used in
the UK since my parents' generation was being named.

I wonder if Sophie thought that these were paired names for sets of twins?
That's what I thought when I read it, and I think it *would* be cruel to
name a set of boy/girl twins Alex and Alix or Cameron and Camrynn!

Old September 25th 03, 05:28 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Nina" wrote:

"Tom Enright" wrote I disagree. If I travel to China
or Mexico I would assume that a non-English
speaker would have trouble pronouncing my name and it would not bother me

bit. I believe there is a bit of a double standard at work here. If an
American traveling outside the US were to assume that a Russian or Iraqi

can
properly pronounce his name he would be considered a bore. But if a

Russian
or Iraqi were to come to the US, the American is an oaf if he doesn't

pronounce
their name correctly.

But I believe that Spanish is a special case. Very often you will hear
newscasters state Spanish names or places with a Spanish (more likely,
Mexican) accent. The same newscaster would never say "Pair-ee" instead
of Paris or "Deutschland" instead of Germany.

Both cases are merely a reflection of PCnes at work.

There is a difference between properly pronouncing "Buena Vista",for
example, and translating. There is nothing PC about correctly pronouncing a
foregin name, that isnt the same as taking an English name for something and
then substituing the foreign version.So to pronounce San Joaquin correctly
is not the equivalent of using Deustchland in place of Germany.
Spanish is used widely in the US, so the Spanich pronounciations are in
current usage and have made it into the English language.

but the correct foreign pronunciation of a place name is not 'correct'
if the people who use the name locally differ e.g. Lafayette as a place
name is often correctly pronounced Lah FAY ut not LA fay ette in the US
when it is a town or street name. Cairo Il is correctly pronounced Kay
Roh not Kye Roh and in our town Buena Vista school is pronounced BUUna
Vista not Bwaynah Vista.
Old September 25th 03, 05:41 PM
Fer

Nina wrote:
|| "Tom Enright" wrote I disagree. If I travel
|| to China or Mexico I would assume that a non-English
||| speaker would have trouble pronouncing my name and it would not
||| bother me a bit. I believe there is a bit of a double standard at
||| work here. If an American traveling outside the US were to assume
||| that a Russian or Iraqi can properly pronounce his name he would be
||| considered a bore. But if a Russian or Iraqi were to come to the
||| US, the American is an oaf if he doesn't pronounce their name
||| correctly.
||| But I believe that Spanish is a special case. Very often you will
||| hear newscasters state Spanish names or places with a Spanish (more
||| likely, Mexican) accent. The same newscaster would never say
||| "Pair-ee" instead of Paris or "Deutschland" instead of Germany.
||| Both cases are merely a reflection of PCnes at work.
|| There is a difference between properly pronouncing "Buena Vista",for
|| example, and translating. There is nothing PC about correctly
|| pronouncing a foregin name, that isnt the same as taking an English
|| name for something and then substituing the foreign version.So to
|| pronounce San Joaquin correctly is not the equivalent of using
|| Deustchland in place of Germany.

Ok, I am a little confused on this logic.....Pronouncing Buena Vista
properly appose to Good Sight/View (someone help me on the translation) is
different from Deustchland/Germany how?

|| Spanish is used widely in the US, so the Spanich pronounciations are
|| in current usage and have made it into the English language.

~~~Cheers!~~~
Jenn-WAHM-DS11-DD6-TTC#3

Old September 25th 03, 05:57 PM
Sophie

Sophie wrote in :
Boys and girls share some names, too, respectively: Alex and Alix,
Cameron and Camrynn or Kamryn, Dominic and Domique, Jaiden (for both)
and Jordan and Jordyn.

I hope these parents were picked up for child cruelty. Gimme a break!

I would count Alex as perfectly normal name, and has been used in
the UK since my parents' generation was being named.

I wonder if Sophie thought that these were paired names for sets of twins?
That's what I thought when I read it, and I think it *would* be cruel to
name a set of boy/girl twins Alex and Alix or Cameron and Camrynn!
--
Be well, Barbara

The *different* spellings are stupid. Alix and Alex. What - Alex for a boy
and Alix for a girl? Where I live Cameron, Jayden, and Jordan (and all
their spellings) just need to be done too. Way too common.

Also someone snipped my post. I included all the made up names as well as
boy/girl versions of names. I really can't think of one name I like for a
boy *and* a girl.

--
Sophie

Old September 25th 03, 06:21 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Tom Enright wrote:

*Hillary Israeli wrote:
*
* In ,
* Donna Metler wrote:
*
* *I'm imagining the poor teachers trying to call the roll on future first days
* *of school-better hope some of these parents decide to homeschool! (Or
* *include phonetic pronounciation guidelines on their child's registration
* *form!). How do you pronounce Xicigu, anyway?
*
* The pronunciation thing doesn't bug me as much for some reason. Ever since
* a high school teacher of mine called a classmate "Joe-ACK-win," (the kid's
* name was Joaquin, you know, wah-KEEN), I have kind of just figured that no
* matter what name you use, someone will screw it up.
*
*There is a point where if the number of people who mispronounce a name is
*greater than the number who prounounce it "correctly" one should consider
*that perhaps the parents or owner of the name is actually in the wrong.

Sure. But Joaquin is not pronounced JoeACKwin.

Old September 25th 03, 06:22 PM
Kari

The *different* spellings are stupid. Alix and Alex. What - Alex for a

boy
and Alix for a girl? Where I live Cameron, Jayden, and Jordan (and all
their spellings) just need to be done too. Way too common.

Just out of curiosity, do you think Alex for a boy is particularly bad? Im
just wondering because we have Alexander picked for one of our boy names and
we may call him Alex (or Xander) for a nickname. Has Alex become really
unisex? I love the name Alexander but it sounds so...boarding school-ish I
guess that I dont think I'd be calling him that all the time.

Also someone snipped my post. I included all the made up names as well as
boy/girl versions of names. I really can't think of one name I like for a
boy *and* a girl.

I dont like unisex names much either, for example Riley to me sounds boyish
but I only know girls with that name. And Jaden (Jayden) sounds girly but
I've only heard it for boys. I like to hear a name and know if its a boy or
a girl without having to wonder.

And I agree that most of those names on the list were pathetic.

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sunday

Old September 25th 03, 06:23 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Jenn wrote:

*but the correct foreign pronunciation of a place name is not 'correct'
*if the people who use the name locally differ e.g. Lafayette as a place
*name is often correctly pronounced Lah FAY ut not LA fay ette in the US
*when it is a town or street name. Cairo Il is correctly pronounced Kay

Seriously? Here in Lafayette Hill, PA, we say LAH-fay-ette HILL.

Interesting local article on baby names sher General 292 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Tips/tricks for first time moms: Add your suggestions! JuliesSolo Pregnancy 34 September 19th 03 08:26 PM
Lydia's Birthstory (long) Andrea Pregnancy 29 September 7th 03 07:23 AM
Baby Names annafine Pregnancy 20 September 3rd 03 09:36 PM
31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long) Elly Pregnancy 6 August 14th 03 06:15 PM