Asthma in Infants and Children - All About Asthma Book

Old December 8th 06, 07:23 AM posted to misc.kids.health
Isabel

Default Asthma in Infants and Children - All About Asthma Book

I read in All About Asthma book from
www.PlatinumBookClub.com/All-About-Asthma, page 38 - 41 there is
special section about Asthma in Infants and Children.

This might be good to know for young mother.

8. Asthma in Infants and Children

Asthma is a major and mostly chronic childhood condition. The fact is
that asthma is taking its toll everyday on people of all age groups.
The figures show spiraling child asthma is an alarming cause for
hospitalization of young children. The estimate is that about 4 million
people below the age of 18 have an asthma attack in a year. It's
possible that many more have undiagnosed or dormant asthma.

Asthma begins showing up through URTIs (known as upper respiratory
tract infection). However, the asthma symptoms are not visible in the
first few months but slowly appear within 2 to 3 years. It often starts
its manifestation through wheezing.

Children with the symptoms of early years of wheezing have more chances
of having full asthma attacks around the age of 6 to 11 years.
Therefore, the parents of the asthmatic child should take all
preventive measures during the growing stage to avoid a chronic future.

Although asthma has no cure, it is still controllable through a proper
developmental management plan, which consists of daily treatment to
control or prevent attacks and knowledge of the actions required during
an asthma attack.

F.A.Q.'s about Asthma and Your Child.

How can I know whether my child has asthma?
If your child wheezes, has trouble while breathing or has continuous
coughs that manifest more at night, there is a possibility of asthma.
Be careful, as these conditions may increase when your child is feeling
sick or exercising.
Your child's doctor can throw some more light on the severity of
these conditions when they examine your child

How can I help my child with asthma attacks?
There are environmental triggers of asthma. You need to keep your child
protected from their effects as much as possible. These triggers or the
allergens can start an asthma attack. A few examples of allergens a
A Change of Temperature
Air Pollution
Vigorous Exercise
Deodorants and Perfumes
Dust Particles
Emotional Conditions
Particular Foods
Pollen Grains
Preservatives in foods
Some Medicines, including Aspirin or Ibuprofen
Some Molds
Tobacco Particles or Smoke
Viruses

How can my child avoid these triggers or allergens?
If pollen and dust are the triggers, you may want to keep the doors and
windows shut and use air-conditioning. Keep a check on the filters of
your heating and cooling systems. Keep the bathroom and kitchen aired
out and clean. If your child is allergic to dust, then keep your home
as clean as possible.
Washing the sheets bi-weekly with warm water also avoids dust mites
from settling. Avoid using carpets and drapes and other articles that
may collect dust. Avoid giving your child stuffed toys to play with.
Pets are also the cause of allergies at times; therefore check that
your pets do not enter the bedroom at all. Avoid smoking, as tobacco
smoke may trigger the symptom in your child.

How can I know the intensity of my child's asthma?
A peak flow meter is a device that measures the airflow from your
child's lungs. A child suffering from asthma will have low in and out
airflow than other children. Closely monitor the airflow level of your
child regularly.
This can help you understand the problem with your child before the
symptoms get worse. Through this meter, your child's doctor can
assess the severity of the asthma attack. You will also be able to know
whether the child just needs medication or emergency aid during the
asthma attack.
Most importantly, these peak flow meters can help you find the
allergens that provoke the attack in your child.

How can I treat my child's asthma?
There are two types of medicines for the child suffering from asthma.
They are the medicine to relieve symptoms and medicine to help prevent
an attack. The reliever is like the quick acting medicines that help
during the troubled breathing period and eases the swelling in the
stiff airway.
Preventative medicine helps to avoid an asthma attack and keep the
airways from swelling. Your child will have to have the medicines every
day. Your child's doctor will let you know which medicine(s) is best
suited for your child.

When is it necessary to take my child to the doctor?
· See a doctor whenever you suspect asthma. Remember that ignorance
may have dire consequences.
· When the medication for the child does not seem to get the desired
response any more, consult your doctor as soon as possible.
· When your child has trouble or a dramatic deterioration in
breathing, immediately consult a doctor.
· When there is a color change, especially to blue or white around
the lips, call an ambulance.
· If your child's asthma attack is worse than usual.
The first measure is not to panic during the attack, follow the
procedures that your doctor advised so that your child quickly regains
normalcy.

Source: www.PlatinumBookClub.com/All-About-Asthma

Hope this hopeful,
Isabel

Old December 8th 06, 01:20 PM posted to misc.kids.health
Jeff

"Isabel" wrote in message
oups.com...

Copyrighted material deleted

Hope this hopeful,
Isabel

You put copyrighted material on the web. That's illegal.

I don't know why you would think this would be appropriate for the
newsgroup, when a chapter is taken out of context. I don't know how this
would be helpful, either.

The only thing I can think of is that you are working for the publisher,
trying to sell the book.

Jeff