reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

Old March 1st 04, 06:39 AM
Sami

Default reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

"Marie" wrote in message
3) it's just *icky*

Sex isn't? Giving birth isn't? Changing diapers isn't? I think any
excuse is selfish. There is no reason not to breastfeed if you are
able to. I don't see how any mother could just choose not to out of
some stupid reason like "it's icky". I was in classes with a girl who
was going to be an RN in an OB's office, and when we were discussing
breastfeeding one day she said "I ain't never lettin' no baby suck my
titty!" Like it's something disgusting!

That's exactly how I feel about it. Its not something I'm comfortable with
and I'm sure a baby can sense that. Rather than create a miserable
experience for both of us, I'll choose not to breastfeed. I wasn't
breastfed and my sister was. She is allergic to everything (even water) and
is sick often. I don't have any allergies and am rarely ever sick.
Therefore, if it doesn't effect how healthy a child winds up being I don't
feel that its that much of an issue.

Old March 1st 04, 06:54 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Sami wrote:

breastfed and my sister was. She is allergic to everything (even water) and
is sick often. I don't have any allergies and am rarely ever sick.
Therefore, if it doesn't effect how healthy a child winds up being I don't
feel that its that much of an issue.

This, I think, sums up what a *lot* of women who choose not to
breastfeed think.

The statistics and studies show increased health benefits for breastfed
babies - one singular experience doesn't change this. There are many
reasons available as to why your sister was a sicker child than you that
may have nothing to do with whether she was breastfed or not.

Believing that this is false, and that all the studies and research (and
indeed thousands of years of human history) are wrong can be quite
consoling when choosing not to breastfeed.

I however do not think this belief is an honest one, and believe that if
I chose not to breastfeed the chances are I would be choosing something
that is *not* the healthiest choice for my baby.

Old March 1st 04, 07:18 AM
CY

"Sami" wrote in message
That's exactly how I feel about it. Its not something I'm comfortable with
and I'm sure a baby can sense that.

I just have to ask. What is it about bf'ing that you are not comfortable
with? You'd be surprised that once you see your baby how you'd do ANYTHING
that was good for them. Why not give it a try, even for a few weeks so that
you can give him/her the best start?

Rather than create a miserable experience for both of us, I'll choose not to
breastfeed.

You don't know that it would be miserable. You're making an assumption that
it would be because of something psychological. A baby wouldn't necessarily
sense you were miserable either. (If you eneded up being, which I doubt)

I wasn't breastfed and my sister was. She is allergic to everything (even
water) and is sick often. I don't have any allergies and am rarely ever
sick.
Therefore, if it doesn't effect how healthy a child winds up being I don't

feel that its that much of an issue.

There are so many reasons a child can be sickly. If she wasn't bf'd she may
be even sicklier. It DOES affect how healthy a child is, and to ignore
years of research and history because of a selfish "I feel it's disgusting"
response is doing your child a great injustice, IMO.

Old March 1st 04, 07:43 AM
Kereru

"Marie" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:31:22 GMT, Shena Delian O'Brien
wrote:
1) dh doesn't want me to (he thinks sex would be awkward with lactating
breasts, etc)

If the man is going to be a father he really should get over it and
want the best for his children!

2) I don't like looking at my breasts (!!?)

Ok that's just an odd excuse. I think mine are unattractive but they
sure make the babies grow.

3) it's just *icky*

Yeah those are really silly reasons!

Sex isn't? Giving birth isn't? Changing diapers isn't? I think any
excuse is selfish. There is no reason not to breastfeed if you are
able to. I don't see how any mother could just choose not to out of
some stupid reason like "it's icky". I was in classes with a girl who
was going to be an RN in an OB's office, and when we were discussing
breastfeeding one day she said "I ain't never lettin' no baby suck my
titty!" Like it's something disgusting!

Sometimes you have to be "selfish" I didn't breastfeed for long and I don't
make excuses, I had a reason for giving up. I had PND with my babies and it
was crucially important that my life was as easy as possible. I didn't find
breastfeeding easy it really stressed me out.

I was able to breastfeed and I have no hesitation in saying I made the right
decision in giving up.

Judy

Old March 1st 04, 07:59 AM
Simone

DeliciousTruffles wrote in
:

New York Jen wrote:

- Jen, who never thought before becoming a mom that I'd be such a
breastfeeding advocate

LOL! Me too! :-D

I think the one comment above others that always upset me when I was
nursing the twins was, "Oh! You couldn't possibly have enough!"

Even though I had a hard time to start ( my nipples didn't fit right into
his little mouth (they were HUGE) and he didn't latch on right which
caused me a lot of pain) I was so determined to bf that I hold on, and
after 2 weeks it really got better. I loved it, and even more because of
the good things I was giving my baby.
It's always ready when he needed it, no hussel with bottles and
histerical hungry babies around.
I could go everywhere without so much of a very thought because it was
always ready. No heavy bag with lots of prepare bottles.

I helped some of my friends who were afraid they didn't have enough milk.
One had to start giving additional bottles, but with my help and her
determination she was able to reduce that and ended up with 6 months BF.

--
Simone
Mom of Ruben Raymond Rocco 08 march 2001
Old March 1st 04, 10:26 AM
Donna

"Sami" wrote in message
. com...

"Marie" wrote in message
3) it's just *icky*

Sex isn't? Giving birth isn't? Changing diapers isn't? I think any
excuse is selfish. There is no reason not to breastfeed if you are
able to. I don't see how any mother could just choose not to out of
some stupid reason like "it's icky". I was in classes with a girl who
was going to be an RN in an OB's office, and when we were discussing
breastfeeding one day she said "I ain't never lettin' no baby suck my
titty!" Like it's something disgusting!

That's exactly how I feel about it. Its not something I'm comfortable

with
and I'm sure a baby can sense that. Rather than create a miserable
experience for both of us, I'll choose not to breastfeed.

Oh Sami, you have just been SO set up. shakes head

Look, if you have even the remotest interest in nursing, there are a lot of
really great resources out there for you. I personally found
misc.kids.breastfeeding to be invaluable. So if you care to, you might
consider giving it a try, just to see if you still feel as negative about it
once you have tried. Nursing is medically best for a growing human, and you
can always change your mind. Having said that, if you truly feel that
it's disgusting, then certainly there are other acceptable options.

Best wishes,

Donna (who doesn't really, to be honest, see the point of a thread that
seems to be entirely conceived as a way of saying "Let me flame everyone who
doesn't agree with me")

Old March 1st 04, 10:44 AM
Donna

"Nan" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:01:08 -0800, DeliciousTruffles
wrote:

1) I didn't have enough milk

Amazingly, this is a very common one, too. And it's perpetuated by
doctors, unfortunately.

I was really lucky - the hospital where I gave birth has free 24 hour
lactation counselors on staff, and you can speak/meet with them at any time
you are nursing - even years after you are discharged from the hospital.
And my pediatrician is a wonderful woman about my age, who had her third
child shortly after I had my first. She was a wonderful font of
encouragement for nursing. As was my OB (also another woman).

I wonder if female practicioners are more prone to encouraging nursing than
are their male counterparts?

Donna

Old March 1st 04, 11:34 AM
Anne Rogers

That's exactly how I feel about it. Its not something I'm comfortable with
and I'm sure a baby can sense that. Rather than create a miserable
experience for both of us, I'll choose not to breastfeed. I wasn't
breastfed and my sister was. She is allergic to everything (even water) and
is sick often. I don't have any allergies and am rarely ever sick.
Therefore, if it doesn't effect how healthy a child winds up being I don't
feel that its that much of an issue.

but it does! just because you are fine, that doesn't mean that your
children will be, nor does it mean that all the statistics that say breast
is best are wrong

I can sort of understand why people might feel icky about it, I certainly
was less comfortable at the start than I am now, but look at nature,
mammals are designed to suckle there young, there is nothing icky about
it, it's natural.

-----------
Anne Rogers

Old March 1st 04, 11:40 AM
Anne Rogers

Sometimes you have to be "selfish" I didn't breastfeed for long and I don't
make excuses, I had a reason for giving up. I had PND with my babies and it
was crucially important that my life was as easy as possible. I didn't find
breastfeeding easy it really stressed me out.

I was able to breastfeed and I have no hesitation in saying I made the right
decision in giving up.

sometimes i think I was too bloody minded about breastfeeding, I had very
severe PND, I nearly died, maybe if I had stopped breastfeeding I wouldn't
have got to that point, even after that I was still obsessed by
breastfeeding, even though I had to pump and dump for a few days, I was
sat in the hospital attached to a heart monitor and a breastpump. Now I'm
on the way out the other side I'm really glad I'm still breastfeeding and
think I probably was right to carry on, I think if I had started formula
feeding when he was about 2 months old I would have cut myself up about
it, which probably would have been worse than the stress, tiredness etc.

Old March 1st 04, 11:42 AM
Anne Rogers

Donna (who doesn't really, to be honest, see the point of a thread that
seems to be entirely conceived as a way of saying "Let me flame everyone who
doesn't agree with me")

not fair!

I'd actually been thinking over the weekend that I might post something
similar, I'm really interested in why people don't breastfeed and how that
relates to our culture and upbringing, I might not have put it exactly
like the first post in the thread, but I am very interested in the