Birth story in a nutshell :o)

Old January 31st 08, 04:22 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jen[_2_]

Default Birth story in a nutshell :o)

Hey everyone,

This is late but this is the first time I have been able to sit
uninterrupted in some time! I had my baby December 22nd, one week and
one day late (due date was the 14th). It was odd because I had been
experiencing all the pre-labour symptoms almost two weeks before my
due date and then they all suddenly disappeared. In any event, I saw
my OB on the 20th and she put me on the induction list. Later that
night (12:45am) the Case Room nurse called and told me to come on in.
By the time I crawled out of my warm bed and checked in on my other
two children and called my husband who was in Ontario at the time (his
flight home was on the 21st) and actually got to the hospital two
women showed up in natural labour and therefore bumped me. The staff
made the decision to admit me so that I was there once they were ready
for me.

So to make the long story a little shorter - later that morning they
said I would be induced that afternoon, again I was bumped, and around
2pm I was taken to the fetal assessment unit for a biophysical of the
baby (which had already been booked earlier that week because I was
over due). During the assessment we discovered that the baby was in
the transverse position making a standard delivery out of the question
and I was then scheduled for a section for 6:30pm. My OB decided that
she would perform the operation which put the time off by another 40
minutes... when she got there and examined me the baby was once again
head down. Dr. Kravitz diagnosed the issue as an "unstable lie",
meaning she was able to frequently change fetal lie and presentation.
So she decided it would be best to do a double set up - to break my
water in the OR and hope that she wouldn't change position again until
her head was on top on the cervix and then unable to turn and I would
be able to have a normal delivery - BUT have me ready and preped for a
for a section in the event that she did turn or the cord was wrapped
around her neck (common with an unstable lie I'm told). So blah blah
blah, they had the epidural catheter in place but not hooked up, my
water was broke, baby moved down properly and a fetal monitor was
attached to her head, her vitals were good so I was moved out of the
OR and into a normal birthing room and hooked up to pitocin. Labour
started around 11:30pm, DH made it to the hospital at 11:45pm, and
baby was born at 12:39am Saturday... a little more than one hour of
labour, nine minutes of pushing and it was all over... and all done
without that epi catheter ever being hooked up! Beautiful Rori Madison
was here at a healthy 8lbs 13oz )

Happy to say that breastfeeding is going well and Rori is now weighing
in just over 13lbs!

-Jen

Old January 31st 08, 05:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

"Jen" wrote in message
[...]

Aw, I'm glad you had such a good delivery in the end! And welcome to
super-speedy baby Rori Madison - what a gorgeous name! Congratulations!

Lucy x

Old January 31st 08, 10:13 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
betsy

On Jan 31, 8:22 am, Jen wrote:
Hey everyone,

This is late but this is the first time I have been able to sit
uninterrupted in some time! I had my baby December 22nd, one week and
one day late (due date was the 14th). It was odd because I had n

Congratulations! I'm glad your baby turned head down at the right
time.

--Betsy
Old January 31st 08, 10:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

wow, sounds pretty dramatic, great that they were able to do the double
set up, cases where it's use is helpful have dramatically decreased with
use of ultrasound (before ultrasound any bleeding had be diagnosed via
VE in theatre, if it was placenta previa, VE could be very dangerous and
they needed to be ready to act), so it's very rare to hear of it being
used, there are a lot of doctors out there who would just go straight to
c-section with an unstable lie :-(.

Excuse my ignorance but is Rori Madison a girl or a boy, I'm thinking
girl with that spelling and middle name, but I'm not entirely sure....

Many congratulations.

Anne
Old February 1st 08, 05:01 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jen[_2_]

Anne, yes its a girl... we figured with the different spelling of Rori
that it seem a little more feminine )

I'm very thankful that my OB suggested the double set, I was a
complete emotional wreck that afternoon being told that I was going to
have the section. I'm not sure why it bothered me so much, I suppose
because with two previous normal deliveries the thought of needing a
section never entered my head at all. Plus I was dead set on doing it
completely natural and with such a strong focus on that the thought of
a section was devastating to me. Then the worry I how I would take
care of my 4 and 2 year old while healing from a section. In hind
sight I know that I totally left myself wide open for disappointment,
I should have known better to not prepare for the "unexpected",
especially in my profession! But any, it doesn't matter now, it all
worked out in our favour in the end that is the main thing!

Many thanks to everyone.

-Jen

Birth Story NL Pregnancy 23 October 4th 07 03:46 PM
birth story Baby Hannah: home water birth lwilliams1922 Pregnancy 0 September 10th 07 09:08 AM
Birth Story - Part 1 (very long : the story, and the birth!) Zaz Pregnancy 54 December 8th 04 02:15 AM
Version Followup - Birth Announcement - Birth Story Long Mary S. Pregnancy 12 August 1st 04 04:27 PM