reputable homebirth info/stats needed

Old November 2nd 04, 03:03 PM
Sue

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
Quite possibly not. I based the sweeping generalisation on a lot of horror
stories and complaints about hospital births that get posted on MKP, and
seem to be for the most part generated by US posters.

The tendency for people to only relate the horror stories is paramount. No
one ever tells a good story. The majority are good stories, but no one talks
about them because they are not interesting. Just like the media, they tend
to blow everything out of proportion.

It does seem from what I read though, that there are a lot of extra tests

and procedures (many of them harmful and unnecessary) used over there
which we've never even heard of.

There are a lot of tests. It comes for a sue-happy society we live in.
Though the tests are offered, they are not mandatory. Some OBs are adamant
on them, but we have a free choice of physicians (at least most do) and can
switch if our insurance covers the next physician who is more lower
intervention if that is what the patient wants.

Overall, from what I've heard I would be
*afraid* to birth in the US. If I found myself holidaying over there at

term
far from a good midwife, I would endeavour to birth in one of your yellow
cabs. Again, just from what you've all told me.

And I would not want to birth in your country. I feel that the medical
society in other countries are not as well versed in the technology that we
seem to have here. And there seems to be a lot of outdated information in
other countries. If a woman wants intervention, she can get it and if she
wants a lower intervention, then she can get that too. The point is there is
a choice and the woman needs to be informed and make informed choices based
on what is needed.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 2nd 04, 03:31 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Sue wrote:

And I would not want to birth in your country. I feel that the medical
society in other countries are not as well versed in the technology that we
seem to have here. And there seems to be a lot of outdated information in
other countries. If a woman wants intervention, she can get it and if she
wants a lower intervention, then she can get that too. The point is there is
a choice and the woman needs to be informed and make informed choices based
on what is needed.

I think you're overly optimistic regarding the amount of
choice there is. There are large areas of the US where you would
be extremely unlikely to find any legal attendant for a homebirth.
There are large areas where there is little choice in care providers,
period. There are very few inpdependent birth centers, such that
the majority of women in the US probably do not have access to one.
Byzantine insurance/provider interrelationships (not to mention the
lack of universal coverage) means that many people's hands are rather
tied in terms of choosing birth location or care provider. There
are many areas of the country where getting a VBAC is extremely
difficult (and may be practically impossible or require paying
out of pocket).
I would not be as sanguine on the technological issues either.
Quite a few other countries have better infant mortality rates than
we do. We pay a price for the overuse of interventions. And the
list of routine practices in the US that are NOT supported by any
reasonable review of the mainstream medical literature is
appallingly long.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 2nd 04, 04:01 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 09:31:54 -0500, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

I would not be as sanguine on the technological issues either.
Quite a few other countries have better infant mortality rates than
we do.

I laughed when I saw statistics recently that listed Cuba right below
the US. Both in the low teens IIRC (I no longer have the link). Its
pretty appalling here, but half the rate in the US, but I guess thats
what you get for universal coverage.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7th May 2003, 17 hours. http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com
EDD 11th March 2005 (another boy!)
Old November 2nd 04, 09:28 PM
Unadulterated Me

Sue wrote:

And I would not want to birth in your country. I feel that the medical
society in other countries are not as well versed in the technology that we
seem to have here.

Umm this is the country where we produced the man who split the atom, I
can assure you we aren't 3rd world, our secondary care services are very
advanced and many of our highly trained obstetricians and
perinatologists have pioneered such procedures as intrauterine
transfusions and many maternal fetal procedures that the world has taken
advantage of. The difference is we save our technology and skilled peeps
for when they are needed, and have a world envied system of midwifery
that the other 80% of the childbearing population use.
And for all your technology you seem to have one of the highest infant
mortality rates in the world, perhaps it's not about the tools but how
you use them?

And there seems to be a lot of outdated information in
other countries.

Your the one living in the country that still has routine circ, eye
ointment, compulsary vacination, routine vit k, and illegal midwifery in
many parts. The practices here are very research based and modern, with
lots of listening to consumers to drive the direction of maternity care.

If a woman wants intervention, she can get it

And pay through the nose for it. Here she has the same choices and it's
free.

and if she
wants a lower intervention, then she can get that too. The point is there is
a choice and the woman needs to be informed and make informed choices based
on what is needed.

And what makes you think the almighty US has the monopoly on choice?
Try joining the ICAN list and listen to the woman who were given choice
in your country while they struggle through depression, guilt, anger and
hate at their treatment and so called choice. Or join the Cbirth list
and listen to the woman there whose choice for safe midwifery attended
homebirth is so scarcely available they are forced to birth unattended
by default.

True choice only occurs when woman have full access to a range of
services, and are fully informed in order to make the right choice for
them. As far as I can see neither of these things happen in the US due
to the lack of easily obtainable and legal midwifery services, or
practitioners who provide correct and balanced information due to the
medical models in which they practice and the fear of litigation.

Andrea

Old November 2nd 04, 09:54 PM
Marie

wrote:
And the
list of routine practices in the US that are NOT supported by any
reasonable review of the mainstream medical literature is
appallingly long.

That really bothers me. When I had my last daughter at home, the
pediatrican was just so angry with us when we tried to refuse the eye
ointment and other things, calling us ignorant to our faces (and
calling cps). I don't understand why the medical system in the US is
so much into interventions and unnecessary practices and routines,
when no other developed country in the world does these things. And
what does it say about what the government thinks about us to have
routine STD testing during pregnancy and certain procedures mandated
by law?
Marie
Old November 2nd 04, 10:22 PM
Mum of Two

"Unadulterated Me" wrote in message
Sue wrote:

And I would not want to birth in your country. I feel that the medical
society in other countries are not as well versed in the technology that
we
seem to have here.

Umm this is the country where we produced the man who split the atom, I
can assure you we aren't 3rd world,

We flew first too ;-)

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old November 2nd 04, 10:25 PM
Mum of Two

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I can't believe I forgot to add amnio &
CVS, which it seems are way over-used in the US and killed my friend's
daughter (amnio). Amnio is available here when you are over 35 or there is a
strong indication there could be something wrong with your baby, but there
certainly isn't the pressure to have it and I could count on half a hand the
number of women I've heard of who've had it.

Old November 2nd 04, 11:41 PM
Unadulterated Me

Sue wrote:

And I would not want to birth in your country. I feel that the medical
society in other countries are not as well versed in the technology that
we
seem to have here.

Umm this is the country where we produced the man who split the atom, I
can assure you we aren't 3rd world,

We flew first too ;-)

Plus...
The first country to give women the right to vote
First country in the British empire to have a woman Mayor
Pioneered Plastic Surgery
Were the first to recognise DNA had a structure and led the way for DNA
testing
Pioneered the molecular clock from mitochondria DNA method of dating
evolution
Climbed Everest first
Invented CAD, the disposable syringe, and the egg beater g

Andrea
Old November 2nd 04, 11:44 PM
Maggie

Mum of Two spake thusly
Sue wrote:

And I would not want to birth in your country. I feel that the medical
society in other countries are not as well versed in the technology that
we
seem to have here.

Umm this is the country where we produced the man who split the atom, I
can assure you we aren't 3rd world,

We flew first too ;-)

LOL!

Don't forget bungee-jumping! Or pavlova. (how could anyone forget
pavlova? )
--
Maggie
Old November 2nd 04, 11:54 PM
Daye

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:41:09 +1300, Unadulterated Me
wrote:

The first country to give women the right to vote

Aussies claim that too. I wonder if this part of the NZ = part of
Australia thing?

--
Daye