sunscreen question

Old May 4th 04, 10:04 PM
Karen

Default sunscreen question

Has anyone else heard that infants should not use sunscreen with an
SPF higher than 15?

Someone on TMMB said their ped. told them there is new evidence that a
higher SPF can cause liver damage.

I've searched the net and found nothing, so talked to my sister, who's
a pharmacist...she found one med journal article that said baby
sunscreen should be PABA-free, b/c that can cause liver damage, but
that's all we could find.

If anyone has any info, let me know. I'm having a really hard time
finding any baby sunscreen under SPF 30...which makes me wonder if the
claim is true.

thanks,
Karen
Old May 5th 04, 02:06 AM
Cindy Senger

I haven't heard that particular claim at all, but did hear somewhere this week
that no one should use higher than spf 15 because ones higher than that are
harder to spread and less likely to be spread evenly-- thus less effectiveness.
We use an spf 30 kid's one for our three girls, so I'll be following this
thread closely. PABA is something that lots of folks are allergic to-- skin
allergies, I mean.

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)

In article ,
says...

Old May 5th 04, 02:26 AM
Kender

I have always used 'Coppertone Water Babies 45 SPF' for my kids since they
we're 6 mo old. Spreads great, stays on great, they've never gotten a burn
(even when visiting Arizona). Haven't heard about the lower SPF. I use 30
myself!
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

om...

Old May 5th 04, 08:44 PM
Andrea

Has anyone else heard that infants should not use sunscreen with an
SPF higher than 15?

I haven't heard that, but I have read that you shouldn't use sunscreen on
infants under the age of 6 months. I've heard that the higher the SPF the more
likely it is to irritate the skin, so perhaps it has to do with that???

Andrea
twin girls-Madison & Jordan
3/22/00