Getting to a resolution

Old September 19th 03, 03:32 AM
Carla

Default Getting to a resolution

Hi,

I spoke to the principal today. She was still sick, she had surgery on
her gums the day before. I documented everything with dates, and
witness's and gave it to her. There was parents present last night and
one of them was willing to be open about it if I needed her to be, she
is a nieghbour and had been present on another occassion last year
when he made a negative comment.

The principal asked me more then once, had this teacher ever given a
positive after he implied a negative. I said no. That is the truth. He
has never said one good thing about her. I even asked him on one
occassion, "Do you have anything good to say" and his response was,
"its to early to say"??????.

The principal has set up a meeting with the teacher and myself, first
to address my concerns, then to find out what the teacher is implying
and what his hopes are by using this method of communication. She told
me that it is normal etiquette for a teacher with a concern, to
express the concern and give the parent 2 positive comments about the
child. I assured her he never did and gave her the example above. She
also told me that it is very strange because he was away all week last
week, so he's only really had my child for 2 weeks to make all these
"observations", yet, he has not marked any of her homework and it is
complete.

So, I will let you all know the outcome.

Tiffany, I do appreciate your advice, don't take this the wrong way.
This guy is out of the ordinary. If my child does have any learning
disability, I will soon know as I have booked a private evaluation for
her, which I am paying cold hard cash for. (In freakin Canada, where
this stuff used to be covered!!!!) I did this, to save the school the
wasted time. It may sound paranoid, but if the school has thier own
psych do an evaluation, that person also has all the input from the
teacher. The way I am doing it, it would be objective and more
truthful. She gets a test, that is it. I can't add input. I'd be more
then shocked if she had problems outside the normal kid stuff.

As for this teacher, he is in for a hell of a lot more then a easy
come easy go attitude from me. I'm not holding back. He has to answer
to his words and have reason, cause and proof. He is not a doctor, he
is a teacher. That's it. If he truly were concerned, he should have
given it more time before he spoke. Last year, and this year, these
comments were made within the first 2 weeks. Even the doctor said that
it did'nt make sense, and she could not understand how she'd known my
daughter since she was 10 months old, and never noticed anything of
the likes he was saying. Was she placating me? I don't know, thats why
I made an apt. for the evaluation. Of course my daughter would not sit
still in the room while I spoke with the doc either. LOL~!!!! my
typical luck.

Old September 19th 03, 06:51 PM
dolores

"Carla" wrote in message
om...
[...]

If the doc has known your daughter all this time then I doubt she is
placating you. Also, having your daughter evaluated by an unbiased party is
a very wise decision, but I bet it will show as normal, given what you've
told us. Also, avail of this other parent, why not ask her to write a
letter to confirm her concerns and detail her own experience...

By the way, you are so lucky to have a principle that is prepared to accept
one of her staff may be acting unprofessionally and is willing not only to
listen to you, but not question your honesty and integrity. If she has the
courage to do this, then you are half way there.

And I agree, dont let this guy away with one single thing.

Dolores