A clever idea for dressing the ends of childeren's shoelaces athome

Old November 21st 12, 07:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.kids,rec.running
Dr. Emily Sockerill

Default A clever idea for dressing the ends of childeren's shoelaces athome

Do you have a clever trick for dressing children's shoelaces?

My son loosely ties tennis shoe laces such that they always fray
even after I put glue on the ends, melt them, or knot the ends.

Here is a picture of his shoes that I'm dealing with now:
http://img259.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_185lo.jpg

Whatever (patent pending?) solution you provide has to have the hard
dressing because he often pulls the laces out of the eyelets.

New shoelaces aren't necessarily the best answer because they too
will fray. Neither is simply scissoring the ends (it's not repeatable).

What I need is a repeatably cheap method to prevent fraying
and to harden the tips for lacing that can be applied at home
as a DIY to make my child's sneaker shoelaces last longer.

Do you have a clever idea for inexpensively repeatedly dressing
shoelace ends that you can share with the world?
Old November 21st 12, 07:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.kids,rec.running
Rock

Dr. Emily Sockerill wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:03:57 +0000,

Do you have a clever trick for dressing children's shoelaces?
http://img259.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_185lo.jpg

I snip the ends, dab with white glue, and then strangle about
a half inch from the end with a few loops of common thread.

After the glue dries, I smear the half inch end with Crest toothpaste.

That hardens into a usable shoelace tip.
Old November 21st 12, 07:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.kids,rec.running
Danny D.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:24:26 +0000, Rock wrote:

Do you have a clever trick for dressing children's shoelaces?
http://img259.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_185lo.jpg

I snip the ends, dab with white glue, and then strangle about
a half inch from the end with a few loops of common thread.

It's not cheap but heat shrink tubing works well.

Someone out there may know of a source for inexpensive heatshrink
tubing perhaps?

Old November 21st 12, 07:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.kids,rec.running
Oren

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=shrink+wrap+tubing

Old November 21st 12, 08:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.kids,rec.running
SMS

On 11/21/2012 10:33 AM, Danny D. wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:24:26 +0000, Rock wrote:

Do you have a clever trick for dressing children's shoelaces?
http://img259.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_185lo.jpg

I snip the ends, dab with white glue, and then strangle about
a half inch from the end with a few loops of common thread.

It's not cheap but heat shrink tubing works well.

Someone out there may know of a source for inexpensive heatshrink
tubing perhaps?

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/265/Heat-Shrink-Tubing/1.html
is one place. Locally it depends on whether or not you have that type of
a store. Fry's Electronics sells it for not very much more.

Old November 21st 12, 09:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.kids,rec.running
Danny D.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 09:46:22 -1000, John Keiser wrote:

The end is called an "aglet."
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/agletrepair.htm

Interesting.

That aglet web page gives me an idea which isn't listed.

I'm going to try this "Brush-On Electrical Tape" right now on
my current pair of New Balance running shoes as shown below:

Note: The New Balance running shoes only seem to last a few
months before they're run ragged in the California chaparral!

For my hiking boots, I bought a hundred feet of 1,000 pound
test (IIRC) parachute cord from the Army Navy Surplus Store for
a couple of bucks and painstakingly sewed a web pattern on the
ends (and melted the tips) as shown in this photo below:

The problem with that parachute cord is that, for some strange
reason, parachute cord (whatever it's actually used for) acts
like a horrible magnet for thorns, burrs, and many other
unwanted bristley thorney grassey chaparral objects.

So if you guys know of a BETTER wide-lace alternative to this
parachute cord for Raichle hiking boots, please let me know
as I go through those rather long shoelaces at the rate of
a pair a year or so, hiking in the California chaparral.
Old November 21st 12, 10:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.kids,rec.running
Stormin Mormon[_3_]

http://www.harborfreight.com/127-pie...set-67524.html
Harbor Freight to the rescue.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Old November 22nd 12, 11:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.kids,rec.running
Robert Green

"Danny D." wrote in message

stuff snipped

It's not cheap but heat shrink tubing works well.

I use adhesive lined heat shrink tubing because the regular stuff tends to
slide off eventually. Alternatively you can put a little hot melt glue on
the shoelace end, let it cool, slide the heat shrink tubing on and
reactivate the hot glue when you heat the tubing to shrink it.

--
Bobby G.

ATHOME DATA ENTRY POSITION AVAILABLE ATHOMEDATAMOM Breastfeeding 0 November 16th 06 02:41 PM
Yikes... Good Idea. Bad Idea. xkatx Single Parents 2 September 8th 06 11:58 PM
How to tie shoelaces Chookie General 42 August 30th 06 03:27 AM
What's the impact of dressing our children as adults? [email protected] General 99 June 20th 06 04:17 AM
Shoelaces Scott General (moderated) 24 April 18th 05 11:10 PM