# of ultrasounds--question

Old September 14th 03, 08:05 PM
Welches

Default # of ultrasounds--question

annafine wrote in message
om...
I'm 35 weeks pregnant and have only had 2 ultrasounds. The first was
at 10 weeks and the second at 18 weeks. I've been asking my OB about
another, but she won't request one unless she feels it medically
necessary.

My question is, how many ultrasounds have you had, and when (# of
weeks) did you have them?

Thanks,
Anna
EDD #1 October 18, 2003

With #1 I only had the 20 weeks scan.

With #2, I've had a dating/nucheal fold scan at 12 weeks, bcause I asked for
it. I then had the anomely scan at 23 weeks, followed by a second scan (the
next day) because baby has the congenital amptuation defect on the left arm.
This then meant that I had another at 33 weeks to check growth. That was, I
think just to be reassuring rather than necessary. If I go overdue, then
I've another booked for 41 weeks, but hopefully I won't need that one :-)

I think it's usual just to have 2 scans unless there's a problem.

Debbie

Old September 14th 03, 10:13 PM
Daye

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:20:29 +1000, Cheryl
wrote:

FWIW ultrasound is notorious for missing heart defects.

I had a very detailed 19 week scan done with this baby. They were
having trouble seeing as much of the heart as they would like. They
told me that I could come back (if I wanted) for another scan to see
the heart better. However, they told me that the chances of them
actually picking up a heart defect wasn't that great. I can't
remember the exact numbers, but it was low (less than 60%).

I chose to skip the offered u/s. We saw the major bits, like the 4
chambers and the aorta. I was happy with that.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old September 14th 03, 10:46 PM
toypup

"annafine" wrote in message
om...
I'm 35 weeks pregnant and have only had 2 ultrasounds. The first was
at 10 weeks and the second at 18 weeks. I've been asking my OB about
another, but she won't request one unless she feels it medically
necessary.

My question is, how many ultrasounds have you had, and when (# of
weeks) did you have them?

Our HMO only does 2 unless there are problems. The first one is for dating,
the second one to see if things are developing normally.

Old September 14th 03, 10:59 PM
Ericka Kammerer

annafine wrote:

I'm 35 weeks pregnant and have only had 2 ultrasounds. The first was
at 10 weeks and the second at 18 weeks. I've been asking my OB about
another, but she won't request one unless she feels it medically
necessary.

My question is, how many ultrasounds have you had, and when (# of
weeks) did you have them?

It is perfectly safe (and the current recommendation
of the ACOG) to have no ultrasounds unless they are medically
indicated.

My experiences:

#1: no ultrasounds
#2: no ultrasounds
#3: 37 week u/s to confirm breech position
37 week u/s immediately before and immediately after
the external version used to turn her

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old September 14th 03, 11:18 PM
Usenet Fan

I've had three, and may have a fourth:

I had one at around 12 weeks to check the heartbeat, general pregnancy
dating and for early nuchal fold views along with the preliminary AFP
test.

Then, a bit unexpectedly, I had another four days later since a firm
abdominal lump was causing some concern. It apparently was missed on
the first ultrasound and they did another to rule out an ovarian cyst
or a second embryo in an ectopic position. It turned out to be an
external uterine fibroid.

I had one around 20 weeks along with my AFP triple screen blood test.
At that one they checked for the heart's four chambers, umbilical cord
function and did some measurements of head and abdominal circumference
and femur length. We opted not to find out the gender of the baby at
that scan.

I may have another around 32 weeks to check up on the fibroid, as it
has been growing along with the uterus. At that point, maybe we'll
see what position the babe is in, but other than the fibroid, there is
no reason to do another.

My insurance company said that one was covered, and all others were
based on "medical necessity". They didn't seem to have a problem with
the 2nd maternal scan, as they haven't rejected the paperwork from the
midwives' office. But I'm having to write letters to them to justify
the uterine fibroid one. Even though it's a separate medical issue
from checking on the baby. I think they'll get it and cover it
eventually, but it's taking some work to justify it.

Robin
#1 EDD early December 2003
Old September 15th 03, 01:46 AM
Kereru

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
My question is, how many ultrasounds have you had, and when (# of
weeks) did you have them?

I had one ultrasound. I was about 6 weeks along, and there was suspicion

of
multiples (fertility treatments.) Since there was only one, and I never

had a
medical indication for another, I never had another. I could have had one

(my
OB practice did do routine scans), but I declined them, because I couldn't

see
any point.

(2 sounds more than sufficient to me, esp. since the ACOG doesn't

recommend any
at all, unless there are medical indications.)

Any particular reason you were hoping to have more? By this point, the

only
thing they'd be likely to be scanning for is fetal size/weight/lie, and

the
latter can be determined by feeling your abdomen, while u/s is EXTREMELY
innaccurate in determining the former. (In fact, you should probably be

pleased
that your OB is not doing a late one for that reason. Too many women find
themselves being pressured into unnessessary inductions, or even

c-sections
because a late u/s finds that the baby is "too big"

I had a late scan with DS because they suspected he was large (which really
****ed me off because I only saw an OB to check up on my tachycardia!), and
lo and behold he was large!

There was no point, there was no way I was going to agree to have an
induction early or a cesarean so all it did was make me aprehensive about
having a 10lber. I wish I had said no to the scan, I only said yes because I
was curious to see the baby.

In the end I went into labour at 41 weeks, gave birth vaginally and he was
10lb 8oz. I am huge again now at 36 weeks with no.2 and will say no if I am
offered a scan for size reasons.

Judy

Old September 15th 03, 02:23 AM
Vijay

I had two and I wouldn't have wanted to have more than two. I mean,
why? The first (at around 13 weeks?) was to determine gestational age
because I hadn't been keeping track of my periods -- who knew you
could get knocked up on the third try? ;-) and the second (at around
18 weeks?) was to check the placenta and baby for the biggies:
malformed heart, imperforate bladder, any other major defects of the
brain or spine etc. But she was perfect so why have any others?

They were both covered by my insurance but the hospital experience
wasn't fun (compared to my lovely birthing center and midwives) and I
picked up a cold both times, one of them came with a bad cough that I
couldn't shake for a long time. I vowed I was never going back but
then went overdue and had to go for a biophysical profile. I don't
count that as an ultrasound as it was mandatory, not elective; the
ultrasound portion of it was very short; was for the purpose of
checking the placenta, not the baby; and was considered just one part
of a larger set of tests.

-V.
Old September 15th 03, 09:20 AM
Linz

"annafine" wrote in message
om...
I'm 35 weeks pregnant and have only had 2 ultrasounds. The first
was at 10 weeks and the second at 18 weeks. I've been asking my OB
about another, but she won't request one unless she feels it
medically necessary.

Why do you feel you need more? In the UK, it's normal to have one or two - a
dating scan and a detailed scan around 20 weeks. My health authority only
does the latter (and it's not all that detailed, at that - not compared with
those some of my friends have had).

My question is, how many ultrasounds have you had, and when (# of
weeks) did you have them?

Because of my history of 'missed miscarriages', I had scans at 5, 7, 9 and
11 weeks to confirm that the pregnancy was still viable - if we'd been able
to hear the heartbeat earlier, we wouldn't have had all the scans. I also
had a nuchal scan at 13 weeks, which I paid for, as it isn't offered in my
health authority, and the 20 week scan.

Had I not had the previous history, I would have had two scans, the private
nuchal fold scan and the 20 week scan. I agreed with my consultant, midwife
and the radiographer that as soon as we could get the heartbeat with
sonicaid we'd stop the scans.

Old September 15th 03, 03:29 PM
Ilse Witch

annafine wrote:
My question is, how many ultrasounds have you had, and when (# of
weeks) did you have them?

I've had two u/s on medical grounds, and we had one for
fun, for which we had to pay ourselves. Your OB is right
to say that if there is no clear reason, an u/s is needless.

Standard policy in the Netherlands is to have an u/s at
12 weeks only, to check for multiplets, and basic health.
In a healthy pregnancy this is the only one you'll have.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)

Old September 15th 03, 04:37 PM
Circe

"annafine" wrote in message
om...
I'm 35 weeks pregnant and have only had 2 ultrasounds. The first was
at 10 weeks and the second at 18 weeks. I've been asking my OB about
another, but she won't request one unless she feels it medically
necessary.

Two ultrasounds is plenty. In fact, some would say it's more than enough,
since there's no evidence at all that routine ultrasound to check fetal
development at 16-22 weeks has any positive effect on outcomes. When it
comes down to it, routine ultrasounds are just expensive in utero baby
pictures, and your doctor is right to refuse to refer you for expensive baby
pictures without a reason.

#1: one at 9 weeks to determine EDD, standard one at 20 weeks, and one at 33
weeks (my fundal height had dropped, so there was some concern that
something was amiss).
#2: one around 9 weeks to determine EDD and one at 20 weeks.
#3: one at 13w4d (nuchal translucency scan to check for markers for
potential chromosomal abnormalities), one at 18 weeks (necessary to perform
amnio), and one every 3-4 days during the last 5 weeks because I had high BP
and they were checking my amniotic fluid index to verify baby was still
okay.

By the end of pregnancy #3, I was heartily sick of ultrasounds!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)

"No parking passed this sign" -- hotel parking lot sign

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
Dumb first time mom question :) Donna General 7 July 28th 03 03:29 PM