gestational diabetes topic again... I know I'm flogging a dead horse already...

Old March 25th 05, 06:09 PM
SuperEeyore

Default gestational diabetes topic again... I know I'm flogging a dead horse already...

So in my debating and attempt at declining the glucose tolerance testing
yesterday with my doctor (she wanted me to do 3 screens, one early, one
usual, and one later because of my first birth almost nine years ago being a
9lb 8oz baby), the doctor acknowledged my opinion and then proceeded to
steer me into another direction.

She suggested that if indeed I did have gd, which is all speculation with no
real history of it, then at minimum diagnosis and treatment would change the
outcome when it comes to the baby's treatment after birth with the nursery.
No dispute at all to my thoughts on the management of pregnancy or birth
troubles, she just switched her arguments to after birth.

What exactly do they subject gestational diabetes babies to after they are
born?

Laurel
--
Birthmom to Bj 4-12-96
mommy to Juliet 4-13-02

Old March 25th 05, 06:32 PM
Mary W.

SuperEeyore wrote:

So in my debating and attempt at declining the glucose tolerance testing
yesterday with my doctor (she wanted me to do 3 screens, one early, one
usual, and one later because of my first birth almost nine years ago being a
9lb 8oz baby), the doctor acknowledged my opinion and then proceeded to
steer me into another direction.

She suggested that if indeed I did have gd, which is all speculation with no
real history of it, then at minimum diagnosis and treatment would change the
outcome when it comes to the baby's treatment after birth with the nursery.
No dispute at all to my thoughts on the management of pregnancy or birth
troubles, she just switched her arguments to after birth.

What exactly do they subject gestational diabetes babies to after they are
born?

My best guess is a hypoglycemia protocol. This involves checking
baby's glucose level (heel prick), if low (and low is variable,
depending on your provider and/or hospital) supplementing and/or
nursing and rechecking the level. At the hospital that DD2 was
born, this meant glucose checks every 1-2 hours for 12 hours.

The thing is, if you get labeled GD, even if you do control
it, I wouldn't be surprised if they automatically make baby
have the glucose protocol (just sounds like something a
hospital would do).

For us, I didn't have GD but had babies over 9 lbs. A
macrasomic baby (whatever their limit is) gets tested
for glucose at most hospitals. Both my girls were low,
most like due to me not eating during labor! DD1, I supplemented
with formula (bad advice) which led to nursing problems
eventually overcome. DD2 I just nursed and her levels were
fine, but she did end up having alot of heel pricks to
monitor her levels. Note that at hospital 1, a level of
37 was considered low. At hospital 2 a level of 45! was
considered low. Both my girls had levels in the mid
30's.

Mary W.
Old March 25th 05, 11:30 PM
Mamma Mia

"SuperEeyore" wrote in message
[...]

i had GD diagnosed with #2, and all that happened was his BSL was tested at
birth, he passed and nothing more. If he wasnt tessted, they were going to
give him formula or something i forget what, but i might have pushed that
decision.

but the point was, the "GD" was well managed for the pg, and my first one it
was not. I only had to diet, i did not have to have insulin. The diet was
just a really really healthy diet, and it did me good. I had to do regular
testing, and whilst it was a bother, it was not terrible.

anyway, the other choice you could make, and this is what i have done with
pg 3 is to not be diagnosed, did not have the gtt, but i am testing 3 x a
day and acting as though i do hvae it. Do i have it? probably. is it
serious, well, not for now, but long term it is, so it is a good wake up
call.

if i was you, i wouldnt resist the treatment/management , if that makes
sense, but that GTT sux, i dont blame you for avoiding it!

do you have any othe rrisk factors/ fam history? overweight? abdominal
fat? Would there be any other reason for the large 1st baby? like big
father for example?

chris

Old March 25th 05, 11:54 PM
Child

"Mary W." wrote in message
| SuperEeyore wrote:
|
| So in my debating and attempt at declining the glucose tolerance testing
| yesterday with my doctor (she wanted me to do 3 screens, one early, one
| usual, and one later because of my first birth almost nine years ago
being a
| 9lb 8oz baby), the doctor acknowledged my opinion and then proceeded to
| steer me into another direction.
|
| She suggested that if indeed I did have gd, which is all speculation
with no
| real history of it, then at minimum diagnosis and treatment would change
the
| outcome when it comes to the baby's treatment after birth with the
nursery.
| No dispute at all to my thoughts on the management of pregnancy or birth
| troubles, she just switched her arguments to after birth.
|
| What exactly do they subject gestational diabetes babies to after they
are
| born?
|

| My best guess is a hypoglycemia protocol. This involves checking
| baby's glucose level (heel prick), if low (and low is variable,
| depending on your provider and/or hospital) supplementing and/or
| nursing and rechecking the level. At the hospital that DD2 was
| born, this meant glucose checks every 1-2 hours for 12 hours.
|
| The thing is, if you get labeled GD, even if you do control
| it, I wouldn't be surprised if they automatically make baby
| have the glucose protocol (just sounds like something a
| hospital would do).

Mary is pretty spot on - you need to make sure that they don't automatically
give the kid glucose if the kid doesn't need it.

Old March 26th 05, 12:12 AM
SuperEeyore

Mamma Mia wrote:
if i was you, i wouldnt resist the treatment/management , if that
makes sense, but that GTT sux, i dont blame you for avoiding it!

do you have any othe rrisk factors/ fam history? overweight? abdominal
fat? Would there be any other reason for the large 1st
baby? like big father for example?

No family history of either diabetes or gestational diabetes. I'm well
within normal range of weight for my height. In fact with my first born I
was at the lower end of the weight range. His weight could have been from
just being overdue... he was considered born during the 41 week span (exact
due date was a bit uncertain) while Juliet was born at 39 weeks at 8lbs 6oz.

The late screening I had in that first pregnancy was boarderline
questionable for gd (it was a fasting test, followed by a suggested meal,
then repeat blood draws) but the doctor said it didn't concern him, just to
watch my diet.

My second pregnancy tested normal.

Laurel
--
Birthmom to Bj 4-12-96
mommy to Juliet 4-13-02

Old March 26th 05, 03:52 AM
Unadulterated Me

Dave {Reply Address in.sig} wrote:

If you think of it, a baby has to
survive on its own resources for three days before the mother's milk really
starts

Have you never heard of colostrum?

Andrea
Old March 26th 05, 04:03 AM
SuperEeyore

Unadulterated Me wrote:
Dave {Reply Address in.sig} wrote:

If you think of it, a baby has to
survive on its own resources for three days before the mother's milk
really starts

Have you never heard of colostrum?

That made me smile! =o)

Laurel
--
Birthmom to Bj 4-12-96
mommy to Juliet 4-13-02

Old March 26th 05, 04:23 AM
Unadulterated Me

SuperEeyore wrote:
Unadulterated Me wrote:

Dave {Reply Address in.sig} wrote:

If you think of it, a baby has to
survive on its own resources for three days before the mother's milk
really starts

Have you never heard of colostrum?

That made me smile! =o)

Laurel

lol well I'm a little stunned people believe the baby is sucking air for
the first 3-4 days until the 'real milk' comes in. Reminds me of the
'How does the hole get in the nipple for the baby to get the milk out'
question :-O

Andrea
Old March 26th 05, 04:27 AM
Marie

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:23:20 +1200, Unadulterated Me
wrote:
lol well I'm a little stunned people believe the baby is sucking air for
the first 3-4 days until the 'real milk' comes in. Reminds me of the
'How does the hole get in the nipple for the baby to get the milk out'
question :-O

I haven't heard that one!
Marie
Old March 26th 05, 04:32 AM
Unadulterated Me

wrote:

lol well I'm a little stunned people believe the baby is sucking air for
the first 3-4 days until the 'real milk' comes in. Reminds me of the
'How does the hole get in the nipple for the baby to get the milk out'
question :-O

I haven't heard that one!
Marie

Oh you need to join some live journal pregnancy communities then,
stupidity abounds there.

Andrea