Sorta stood up to MIL

Old October 24th 03, 05:35 PM
Megan Byrne

Default Sorta stood up to MIL

My kids are TWO people, not ONE.

~Megan~
Aidan Matthew & Alexis Valerie
Born September 28, 2002

www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidannalexis

Old October 24th 03, 05:38 PM
Megan Byrne

Thank you Kim. If there is anyone "grateful" out there, it is me. I was
brought up well. I am very big on "thank you's" Be it a written letter,
phone call or a gift. And believe me, I was very happy that they got the
firetruck. I guess, it just stems back to the way my kids are treated
vs. the way the other nephews are treated.

Old October 24th 03, 06:20 PM
Missy in Indiana

This op was case-specific as was the followed post that was discussed. In
general, I think we all choose to parent our children with a sense of gratitude
for gifts that are not necessary, but appreciated if offered. I thought it was
clear that this was the intent for frustrations by the posters. I understand
sometimes people read things differently, but reading the posters posts several
years, I felt confidant of what they meant.

Many people have differing opinions, which had been discussed respectfully,
regarding one vs. two toys per child. Like many, my kids *did* have only one
ride on toy. They currently have one bike they share even. That will change
as they get older depending on the toy and circumstance, not to do with money
or room but other factors.

With that said, I think these posts were case-specific and dealt with more than
the money spent on a gift or how many gifts given! There were deeper issues
that completely made sense to me. In their shoes, I would have been deeply
hurt and offended. They clearly had valid points. I also believe the posts
weren't titled as "give me advice". They were "vents". I know some of you
will say, "but this is a ng, we can volley topics all day". True, and I do get
benefit from seeing other points of view. But, it got a little beyond that and
probably made the posters feel worse than before they came here to vent about
their problem. So, if turning this into a "I'm trying to teach my child
differently than you behave"...it may be okay to do, but I guess it isn't a
"nice" trait a child should have either IMO.

I guess I'll need that flame suit, too now. Chalk it up to lack of sleep and
sitting on my hands for a few days.

Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)

Old October 24th 03, 06:42 PM
Megan Byrne

Ugh, all this is exactly why I didn't post about this in the first
place. My "event" happened weeks before Brigitte's twins b-day, but when
she posted about the one card thing, it just got me more angry, so I
felt the need to vent also. Sorry that this blew up into such silliness
and took away from Brigitte's OP.

Believe me, there is much more than toys that gave me negative feelings
from my IL's, but it would take years to type it all!

Old October 24th 03, 07:18 PM
Anita

I had a whole reply to this all typed up but I think I am going to send it
to you privately because this is where we have more in common than not and I
don't care to post about it publicly. Hope you will read it and see that I
do understand but maybe have chosen a different path. Hopefully it will be
helpful to you...or maybe your thoughts will be helpful to me.

A.

"Megan Byrne" wrote in message
Anita,
My IL's are the number one argument in my house. I am not proud to say
that, but I feel that they are such a strain on my marriage. It is
horrible. My DH hates when I say anything negative about them, but there
is just so much to say.

He, finally, did go down and talk to his mother and father, b/c one of
his sisters was heard saying that my son had "learning disabilities",
due to the fact he is in PT. You can only imagine how upset I was over
that.

~Megan~
Aidan Matthew & Alexis Valerie
Born September 28, 2002

www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidannalexis

---

Old October 25th 03, 12:13 AM
Julie Seely

Megan --

Sorry. Yes, I misunderstood.

Julie

Megan Byrne wrote:

My kids are TWO people, not ONE.

~Megan~
Aidan Matthew & Alexis Valerie
Born September 28, 2002

www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidannalexis

OT sorta: Sport bra Tracey Breastfeeding 5 March 10th 04 06:33 PM
OT sorta: Sprained ankle Sue General 12 January 16th 04 05:39 AM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM