and where are you from?..

Old March 17th 04, 07:22 AM
Jamie Clark

Default Interested aside

Oh my goodness! That song is awesome. I've NEVER heard of it before, and
I'm NOT that young! I wish I could hear you sing it, as I can't imagine
what the melody would be!

Too cool!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest, Password:
Guest
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
In XAJ5c.1826$PA5.262@newsfe1-win,
Welches wrote:

*How many could name most/all states without looking them up? I'll admit I
*couldn't do all the counties in Britain either.

What, just name the states? I imagine most people can. Right??
I can do it fine, but I have to sing it. I guess most of my peers at least
recall learning this song in grade school:

Fifty Nifty United States from thirteen original colonies
Fifty Nifty stars in the flag that billows so beautifully in the breeze
Each individual state contributes a quality that is great
Each individual state deserves a bow. We salute them now.

Fifty nifty United States from thirteen original colonies,
Shout `em, scout `em, Tell all about `em,
one by one till we've given a day
to ev'ry state in the U.S.A.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut;
Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana;
Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts,
Michigan;
Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada;
New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North
Dakota, Ohio;
Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South
Dakota, Tennessee, Texas;
Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

(Repeat states again a little faster, then continue below)

North, South, East, West in our calm, objective opinion, Washington is the
best of the

Fifty Nifty United States from thirteen original colonies,
Shout `em, scout `em, Tell all about `em,
one by one till we've given a day
to ev'ry state in the good old
U.--------S.---------A.----------!!

*I have to add that I hadn't heard of over half of the states, and don't

know
*much about the ones I have heard of, certainly couldn't place them on a

map.

Well, I could label a map probably about 75% correctly but probably not
100% correctly

How many counties are there in Britain? I certainly couldn't even name all
the counties in PA

Old March 17th 04, 07:24 AM
Jamie Clark

Oh yeah loved Schoolhouse Rock. I sucked at memorizing, so couldn't name
all the states if I had them in front of me! Taylor has a state puzzle, but
luckily for me the states are grouped together in larger masses, otherwise
I'd never be able to put it together! Geography wasn't (isn't) my strong
point. Of course, since it was memorization, neither were the times tables.
I still can't rattle off 7X8 without thinking real hard first and doing the
math in my head.
--

Welches wrote:

*How many could name most/all states without looking them up? I'll admit

*couldn't do all the counties in Britain either.

What, just name the states? I imagine most people can. Right??
I can do it fine, but I have to sing it. I guess most of my peers at

least
recall learning this song in grade school:

snip

I suspect I could name them all, but I never heard
the song you typed in! I'd just do it geographically
(east to west, north to south) until I had 'em all.
I certainly had to do that in school (along with state
capitals). Then there were all the presidents, terms in
office, and party, plus goodness knows what other stuff
to memorize. States were pretty easy by comparison. Now,
the Preamble to the Constitution was the one my class
were all humming under their breath during exam time...
"We the People..." ;-) Schoolhouse Rock rocks!

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 17th 04, 09:27 AM
Tatjana Farkin

Default and where are you from?.. Maureen

but now live in Aachen,
Germany.

Cool, how do you like it here? :-)

Tatjana

Old March 17th 04, 03:49 PM
Welches

Welches wrote:

[...]

I love it! What a great way of learning it.

*I have to add that I hadn't heard of over half of the states, and don't

know
*much about the ones I have heard of, certainly couldn't place them on a

map.

Well, I could label a map probably about 75% correctly but probably not
100% correctly

Actually dh reminds me that I didn't recognise the entire outline of US on a
quiz... but he doesn't thik much of my geography.
How many counties are there in Britain? I certainly couldn't even name all
the counties in PA

Actually they do change counties from time to time, so I'm not sure how many
at the moment. Dh is the expert in that region here. I'll have to ask him.
Debbie

Old March 17th 04, 06:52 PM
Robin T.

Welches wrote:

*How many could name most/all states without looking them up? I'll
admit I
*couldn't do all the counties in Britain either.

What, just name the states? I imagine most people can. Right??
I can do it fine, but I have to sing it. I guess most of my peers at
least recall learning this song in grade school:

Argh. Thanks Hillary. Now I'll have that in my head all day!

Actually, I had forgotten the beginning parts and the end, and only
remembered the states.

Robin T.

Old March 17th 04, 07:18 PM
Buzzy Bee

Default Request for US members

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:53:07 -0500, Vicky Bilaniuk
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

Yes, although there is a move to stop using it, apparently. They are
using UMT, now, or something weird like that. Universal time, but I
forget the short version.

UTC - Universal Time Co-ordinated. Which is the same as GMT.
Phasing it out would be useful if the UK were to change to GMT/UTC + 1
permanently.

This is what I don't understand. Where I live, it was always dark when
I got up to go to school (and just barely cracking dawn while I was on
the bus). OK, perhaps the city kids who only had to walk 5 minutes
could get to see some daylight, but I was a country kid and I had a 45
minute bus ride. It never bothered me too much to go in the dark. It
was better to come home and still have some daylight left. I would
think it more dangerous to let the kids play outside at night. I know
that most parents don't do that - they make the kids stay in, but I
think that kids should be able to go out.

Whether its dark or not depends very much on where you are in the
timezone. The further east, the earlier the sunrise, so if you are
well to the east of your time zone's 'block' (as the UK is) it will
rise earlier than if you are in the west.

Of course seasons have an impact, as does how far you are from the
equator - close to the equator there is little to no seasonal
variance.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com
Old March 17th 04, 09:11 PM
aml

(HollyLewis) wrote in message ...
I guess most of my peers at least
recall learning this song in grade school:

Fifty Nifty United States from thirteen original colonies
Fifty Nifty stars in the flag that billows so beautifully in the breeze
Each individual state contributes a quality that is great
Each individual state deserves a bow. We salute them now.

[clip]

Hillary, you know the weirdest stuff. ;-) I've never heard that song before
in my life. (And I know we're the same age.)

I am pretty sure, however, that I could name all 50 states. Though it might be
one of those things where I'd forget two or three of them and the names would
then pop into my head in the middle of the night a week later. g

I think I'd have the same problem. That's what happens when you
attend three different school systems by the time you're 12. On the
other hand my sense of WOrld Geography is pretty good (or was at one
time...made A's in World History/World Geography in H.S. and
college...tutored World History in college).

*I have to add that I hadn't heard of over half of the states, and don't know
*much about the ones I have heard of, certainly couldn't place them on a map.

Well, I could label a map probably about 75% correctly but probably not
100% correctly

That's probably about how well I could do. I know I don't know the relative
positions of all those tiny ones on the East Coast, and the various square ones
in the Great Plains are easy to get confused with each other too. ;-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04

Sigh...my best story about geography comes from 9th grade. We were
studying the geography of Europe during WWII...and when I pointed out
to the teacher that the maps he was using weren't correct...they
didn't include an area of Germany called East Prussia...he said there
was no such place and never was. I guess the two huge maps of the area
(particularly the city of Konigsberg, where Emmanuel Kant was born,
raised, and taught, and which is the place of my mother's birth) that
hung in my parents' house were fictitious (grin).

Incidentally, the area did cease to be part of Germany following WWII,
and is still a part of Russia. My mother left (crossed the border into
the west illegally) at about the age of 9, along with her mother and 4
younger siblings. Her mother had previously crossed the border and
returned for them...and had been captured and detained by Russian
soldiers while trying to return. My mother has never returned, though
one of her brothers visited (after the fall of the Soviet Union) what
was once the family farm outside of Konigsberg (now Kaliningrad).

Yes...my kids will have alot of history to learn that pertains to our
family ...and on that note...for the other side of my family, I have
to say "Happy St. Patrick's Day" to all those of Irish ancestry.

aml
mom to Connor (2.5 yo
EDD 8/27/04
Old March 17th 04, 09:59 PM
toypup

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
I suspect I could name them all, but I never heard
the song you typed in! I'd just do it geographically
(east to west, north to south) until I had 'em all.
I certainly had to do that in school (along with state
capitals).

I feel cheated. I never had to learn state capitals, which seem like a rite
of passage for everyone else. Don't know how I missed it. The states, the
teacher taught us with all sorts of mnemonics. Minnesota has a "sota"
straw, Ohio is shaped like an "O," etc.

Old March 17th 04, 10:33 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

*to memorize. States were pretty easy by comparison. Now,
*the Preamble to the Constitution was the one my class
*were all humming under their breath during exam time...
*"We the People..." ;-) Schoolhouse Rock rocks!

Oh, I sing the preamble routinely, still

Anyway.

Gotta go, time to unpack my adjectives.

-h.

Old March 17th 04, 10:34 PM
Hillary Israeli

*
*Fifty Nifty United States from thirteen original colonies
*Fifty Nifty stars in the flag that billows so beautifully in the breeze
*Each individual state contributes a quality that is great
*Each individual state deserves a bow. We salute them now.
*
*[clip]
*
*Hillary, you know the weirdest stuff. ;-) I've never heard that song before
*in my life. (And I know we're the same age.)

Really? I guess Mrs. Bogusz (our elementary school music teacher) was
ahead of her time, or behind it, or something

-h.