they're leaving

Old February 27th 04, 11:37 PM
just me

Default they're leaving

Sigh.

it was bound to happen. I knew it would.

Now it is.

Our wonderful next door neighbors are in their early 80's. He is starting
to get a bit forgetful and is very hard of hearing. She has had a few odd
spells and been hospitalized with them twice in a year.

They have been wonderful surrogate grandparents for DS. They have invited
us to use their inground swimming pool any time. And we have. DS learned
to swim there. They've just been very good neighbors, in the best sense of
the words.

But, they are feeling that they should recognize their current and growing
limitations. They are moving into a second house that is on their DD's
property in W. Palm. That is a long hike from here. The house isn't up for
sale yet, but it will be soon, they are getting it ready. It will probably
sell quickly.

We haven't told DS yet. He takes these types of things very hard and this
is probably not going to be easy. He went into a real funk when his best
friend moved from the next street over to a home two developments away
[three miles]. So, we have to do this before the for sale sign goes up, but
not today.

So, if you could think good thoughts, pray for good neighbors, preferably
with lovely boys DS' age whom we have no concerns about him socializing
with, I'd appreciate it. And, add a bit of a touch of wisdom for how and
when we tell DS.

Oh, and one other thing. I'd like to give them a gift of some sort to
express our appreciation for them and all they've done for us in these nine
years. I also don't want to burden them with more gee-gaws to move around
and dust. Any suggestions on what to give a wonderful old couple?

-Aula

Old February 28th 04, 12:48 AM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"just me" wrote:
snip
They have been wonderful surrogate grandparents for DS. They have invited
us to use their inground swimming pool any time. And we have. DS learned
to swim there. They've just been very good neighbors, in the best sense of
the words.

snip
So, if you could think good thoughts, pray for good neighbors, preferably
with lovely boys DS' age whom we have no concerns about him socializing
with, I'd appreciate it. And, add a bit of a touch of wisdom for how and
when we tell DS.

Thinking good thoughts about neighbors.

Oh, and one other thing. I'd like to give them a gift of some sort to
express our appreciation for them and all they've done for us in these nine
years. I also don't want to burden them with more gee-gaws to move around
and dust. Any suggestions on what to give a wonderful old couple?

Some ideas right off the top of my head:

If you know that they like to eat out - a gift certificate to eat at
some nice restaurant. Or a gift certificate for a shopping service or
something that delivers prepared meals.

A Golden Age certificate for the national parks

Depending on their son's property - plants for the yard (preferably
planted so they don't have to do it)

Gift certificate for limo service or taxi service - if your DH drives,
he could even do this himself.

Help with sorting stuff to move.

grandma Rosalie

Old February 28th 04, 02:34 AM
Cathy Kearns

"just me" wrote in message
om...
[...]

All I can say is, I know how you feel. My youngest
daughter has fallen in love with a family that moved here
just two years ago. Their oldest is a boy, now 6, three
years younger than my daughter. Their daughter came as a
baby, but is now a walking, talking toddler. My daughter
goes and plays with this family every chance she gets.
The parents think of her as a great oldest sister, yet in our
family she only gets to be the baby. She just came home
with fresh baked bread they all made together. They are
moving 400 miles away in a month. I already promised
she spend a week with them this summer. (They invited
her.) But she's already heartbroken. And so are we.

Old February 28th 04, 02:34 AM
Emily

just me wrote:

Oh, and one other thing. I'd like to give them a gift of some sort to
express our appreciation for them and all they've done for us in these nine
years. I also don't want to burden them with more gee-gaws to move around
and dust. Any suggestions on what to give a wonderful old couple?

How about helping them move, both on this side and the other?
It might be good for DS too (how old is he?) to see that they are
not disappearing, but are going somewhere where he can imagine
them, if not visit them that often. I think they might also want
something tangible to remind them of you on a daily basis. Do
you have any photographs of DS happily playing in their pool?
They might like a framed one...

--
Emily
mom to Toby 5/1/02

Old February 28th 04, 02:34 AM
Louise

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:37:36 EST, "just me"
wrote:
Oh, and one other thing. I'd like to give them a gift of some sort to
express our appreciation for them and all they've done for us in these nine
years. I also don't want to burden them with more gee-gaws to move around
and dust. Any suggestions on what to give a wonderful old couple?

Letters from you and your son after they move. Snapshots of them with
your son (he might like this too.)

Gift certificates to restaurants in their new community, or something
else they can share with their son so they can feel like hosts.

Louise

Old February 28th 04, 02:35 AM
just me

x-no-archive:yes

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Some ideas right off the top of my head:

If you know that they like to eat out - a gift certificate to eat at
some nice restaurant. Or a gift certificate for a shopping service or
something that delivers prepared meals.

A Golden Age certificate for the national parks

Depending on their son's property - plants for the yard (preferably
planted so they don't have to do it)

Gift certificate for limo service or taxi service - if your DH drives,
he could even do this himself.

Help with sorting stuff to move.

Those are all wonderful suggestions and gives me a great deal to ponder. I
appreciate the help, Rosalie. I suspect the gift certificate to eat out
might be very well received, as well as the plants. They have tended their
yard and plants very carefully for many years and have some beautiful plants
that show the wonderful care.

-Aula

Old February 28th 04, 03:43 AM
just me

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in message
. com...
All I can say is, I know how you feel. My youngest
daughter has fallen in love with a family that moved here
just two years ago. Their oldest is a boy, now 6, three
years younger than my daughter. Their daughter came as a
baby, but is now a walking, talking toddler. My daughter
goes and plays with this family every chance she gets.
The parents think of her as a great oldest sister, yet in our
family she only gets to be the baby. She just came home
with fresh baked bread they all made together. They are
moving 400 miles away in a month. I already promised
she spend a week with them this summer. (They invited
her.) But she's already heartbroken. And so are we.

Cathy's DD & Cathy

No, it is not easy. It is hard to say goodbye, and we all know that when
people move away relationships change. I hope your DD enjoys her summer
trip a great deal! That bread sounds awfully good, too!

-Aula

Old February 28th 04, 03:44 AM
just me

"Emily" wrote in message
How about helping them move, both on this side and the other?
It might be good for DS too (how old is he?) to see that they are
not disappearing, but are going somewhere where he can imagine
them, if not visit them that often. I think they might also want
something tangible to remind them of you on a daily basis. Do
you have any photographs of DS happily playing in their pool?
They might like a framed one...

Oh, wow! You may really be onto something with that idea of a pic of DS in
their pool! I don't know if we have one, but I will start going through the
computer to find out. [Maybe I could throw DS in their pool for five
minutes in March Florida weather and get him to look happy if I can't......]
BTW, DS is 8.5 now. Very grown up and quite not, iykwim.

-Aula

Old February 28th 04, 03:44 AM
just me

"Louise" wrote in message
Letters from you and your son after they move. Snapshots of them with
your son (he might like this too.)

Gift certificates to restaurants in their new community, or something
else they can share with their son so they can feel like hosts.

The suggestions of pics seem to be the most popular suggestion, although the
gift certificate to eat out is high up there as well. I suspect that, due
to everyone's kind helpful suggestions, I will have a hard time selecting a
choice rather than a hard time wracking my brain. I appreciate your
suggestions!

-Aula

Old February 28th 04, 02:11 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"just me" wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
[...]

Check to make sure that they will have space for a garden, and to do
some of their own landscaping. If they have plants they've had for
years, you might see if you could hire a landscaper to transplant some
of them -- I know leaving behind plants you've tended can be hard.
Alternatively, several hours of gardening labor (you, DH and DS could
help) or a gift certificate at a local nursery.

But first -- you should probably also check to make sure they WANT to
continue outdoor gardening!

meh

Slightly OT - leaving 5 mo old for a day Kari General 23 March 27th 04 12:29 PM
3 y.o. behavior-ugh! mom2fallbabies General 19 February 14th 04 09:56 AM
What to do about crying mypet General 25 November 17th 03 05:18 PM
Mum leaving toddler for 5 days Liz General 7 October 4th 03 11:16 PM