I-Team: Foster Parents Questioned in Girl's Disappearance: Takethe fifth amendment...

Old March 28th 07, 09:47 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default I-Team: Foster Parents Questioned in Girl's Disappearance: Takethe fifth amendment...

http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story....=menu102_1_6_1

Monday, the former foster father of Everlyse Cabrera faced questions
about her disappearance behind closed doors. The I-Team has a transcript
of the discussion, word for word.

Manuel Carrascal doesn't have to talk to the police about the
disappearance of 2-year-old Everlyse Cabrera, but he did have to appear
for his court-ordered deposition. Though this question and answer
session was hardly illuminating.

Carrascal pleaded the fifth to almost every question -- from the
mundane, like who pays your mortgage, to the meat, like do you know
where Everlyse Cabrera is right now?

Colleen McCarty asked them, "Do you plan to answer any questions today?"

Manuel and Vhee Carrascal, and their attorney, Bill Doyle, left nothing
to chance.

Doyle said, "We're going to have a deposition taken, Colleen. That's the
idea, to answer questions."

The former foster parents of Everlyse Cabrera, the 2-year-old who
disappeared from their home, appeared for their court ordered civil
deposition Monday.

But according to transcripts obtained by the channel 8 I-Team, their
attorney made it clear early on, showing up was all they planned to do.

Doyle said, I can tell you right now he's going to tell you his name,
and he's not going to tell you anything else about anything. He's going
to assert the fifth to every question.

Frustrated by the lack of cooperation, according to the transcripts,
attorneys for the Cabrera family telephone the federal court for guidance.

Judge Robert Johnston explains, Mr. Carrascal's going to be entitled to
assert that privilege and just needs to do it as to each question where
it's appropriate.

The questioning then resumes, how many hours a week do you work?

Answer -- fifth amendment.

Question, when did Initial B. and Everlyse normally go to bed?

Answer -- assert the fifth.

Question, what is your position about what happened to Everlyse?

Answer -- assert the fifth amendment.

Gregory Mills and David Gibson represent the Cabrera family.

"Their attitude was almost cynical at times. At one point laughing at
some of our questions, offended that we kept asking questions, offended
that we wanted to have more details about what occurred that night,"
said Mills.

The only line of questioning Carrascal did answer related to his
33-year-old step-son Melvin Balane.

According to the transcript, Balane moved in with his parents two weeks
before Everlyse disappeared, then returned to the military shortly
thereafter.

Question: Did you ever report Initial M.'s presence to the Department of
Family Services?

Answer -- assert the fifth amendment.

Question: Do you have a belief as to whether or not Initial M. harmed
Everlyse Cabrera?

Answer -- fifth.

And the final question recorded by the court reporter -- has initial M.
ever told you if he did anything to Everlyse to cause her disappearance?

Answer -- assert the fifth.

The two hour deposition ended as it began -- with lots of questions and
few answers. During a hearing Tuesday, the federal judge on this case
explained the fifth amendment can only be used when there is a real
danger of self incrimination.

It is likely he will eventually decide if that is the case here.