average height and weight of babies

Old June 13th 04, 05:20 PM
Carol Ann

Default average height and weight of babies

Morgan is 11 weeks 3 days old and she's huge!! I don't mean fat. I mean she
seems so 'thick'.

Everyone who sees her is shocked to hear she is only 11 weeks old.

Is there a chart to show the average height and weight of babies as they
age?

--
~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04

Old June 13th 04, 06:24 PM
Jill

"Carol Ann" wrote

Is there a chart to show the average height and weight of babies as they
age?

What percentile is she in for weight for her age, has your pediatrician told
you lately? I wouldn't even put much stock in that but it might be useful.

Rachel is only in the 25%- she 's 5 weeks old and 8 pounds, 3 ounces. I
think she will tend to be that way and that it's ok- babies tend to be small
like that in my family (and small kids and small teenagers) and then make it
up later. I do wish Rachel would fill out and thicken up some though! We are
working on it, nursing like crazy on demand.

But back to Morgan, how much does she weigh now? I bet you she's probably
right where she should ideally be.

I can't wait to go see my friend's baby who was 6 pounds-something when she
was born and is 2 weeks older than Rachel. I bet she's made up being that
small (and I am hoping Rachel's growth spurts will help her on her end- I
have been kind of worrying about it, and fighting the urge to compare her to
other babies the same age, and to other babies who weighed what she did when
she was born, to see where they are)...

This seems out of whack to me but Rachel measures 25% in weight, 50% in head
measurement, and 75% in length! She's long and skinny with a little bobble
head, lol!

Old June 13th 04, 09:40 PM
JennP

"Jill" wrote in message
news
do wish Rachel would fill out and thicken up some though! We are
working on it, nursing like crazy on demand.

Just wondering, why? Some babies just *aren't* thickand won't ever be.
Matthew never was. Honestly, you don't have to work on anything, just feed
her!

I mean this is the nicest way Jill, but *please* don't go making more work
for yourself. I have a feeling I'm not the first person to ever tell you
this.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old June 13th 04, 09:59 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:
Morgan is 11 weeks 3 days old and she's huge!! I don't mean fat. I mean she
seems so 'thick'.

Everyone who sees her is shocked to hear she is only 11 weeks old.

Is there a chart to show the average height and weight of babies as they
age?

Sure, try he

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/...rts/charts.htm

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 14th 04, 12:09 AM
Jody Pellerin

"Jill" wrote in message .com...
"Carol Ann" wrote

[...]

Here's something I just dug up that you two might find helpful...
http://www.babycenter.com/growthchart/
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/bab...ment/1620.html
http://www.promom.org/bf_info/growth.html
Old June 15th 04, 06:20 AM
Jenrose

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Morgan is 11 weeks 3 days old and she's huge!! I don't mean fat. I mean

she
seems so 'thick'.

Everyone who sees her is shocked to hear she is only 11 weeks old.

Is there a chart to show the average height and weight of babies as they
age?

Eh, skip the charts. You've got a butterball--that's not a bad thing!

My kiddo was 20 pounds at 4 months, and by 9 months her rolls of fat had
rolls of fat. She's now an average sized almost-11 year old, not fat at all.
It was all breastmilk! She hit 27 pounds by 1 year and stayed there for
almost an entire year.

And when she was 7 1/2 she hit 4-foot 7-ish and 83 pounds and stayed there,
not gaining an inch or pound, for two solid years. Then she shot up 20
pounds and is almost 5 feet, 100 pounds soaking wet with all her clothes on,
and that's just in the past 6 months.

Kids do that. They grow like crazy then skid to a stop until you start to
worry, then you wake up and discover they've grown an inch overnight.
(literally... from Oct. 31 to Nov 1...she gained an inch... woke up saying,
"Mom, my feet are smaller." I had to explain... "No, honey, they're just
farther away.")

My point is that as long as she's not being force-fed and she's nursing,
extra chunk just *isn't* an issue. And if at some point she skids to a halt
for a few months, that's normal too, especially when they start crawling.

We swore when my dd went from 7 lb 11 at birth to 15 pounds 2 months later
to 20 pounds 2 months after that that she'd be the world's first 150 pound,
6-foot-tall 3-year-old. At age 3, she was maybe 35 pounds.

Jenrose

Old June 15th 04, 02:14 PM
Kari

You really dont need to go by the charts. They can cause unnecessary worry
if your baby is "too big" or "too small"

I worried endlessly with my daughter, especially being my first born. She
was born an average size but by 6 mos she was in the 20% for both, by a year
she was in the 5%. After tests, and weight checks, height checks, etc, they
couldn't find anything wrong but made us feel awful by suggesting that we
weren't feeding her enough. Well, she's 8.6 years now and she's just over 40
pounds and 45 in tall (about the size of a 5 yr old) She's been the same
weight for about 18 mos now and she's grown an inch in the last year. She's
wearing the same clothes she wore to kindergarten, and actually, her younger
brother has larger feet than she does, wears larger tops and pj's than she
does (they're within an inch of being the same height)

And the baby? He's doing the same thing. At his last weight check, he was
16lbs - he's nearly 9 mos old.

Kari
mom to 3