Old-fashioned names to avoid naming your kids with

Old August 19th 05, 05:59 PM
cjra96

Caledonia wrote:
-L. wrote:

Personally I think it's a crime to give a kid a name that cannot be
pronouced or spelled. Having a difficult last name is hard enough - I
would hate to go through life having to spell and pronounce my first
name *every single time* someone encountered me.

Dunno -- as demographics change, popular naming conventions change,
too. I know a couple of boys named Guillermo and girls named Pilar now
-- a name I never heard in my (uber-urban midwest) childhood. As has
been pointed out to me, even Lands' End sells guayabera shirts. And
Philomena,a great 100+ year old name in my family, has thankfully bit
the dust.

heh, I knew tons of Guillermos and a few Pilars growing up in East LA
Another was Hamilton. And I think Philomena is an excellent name!

When my friend Catherine was introduced, she rarely got into the
nitty-gritty of 'with a C' and 'ine' not 'ryn'. I spell my last name
daily, but rarely spell my first name when meeting someone, unless
they've just whipped out their PDA. Dunno -- never really was an issue.

I spell both first and last daily, and now I've got a hyphenated
surname that's also unusual so I spell that too. Not really an issue. I
never quite understood why it bothered people so much to spell their
name. I do it automatically when it's clear the person needs to write
it.

Random spellings don't bother me -- what bothers me is that people
often ask me what my surname *means* (I've been tempted to reply, "it
means person who will take your job when you're not looking").

I usually get asked where it's from (I don't look the ethnicity of the
name), and now I've got DH's name tacked on which is clearly a
different ethnicity from my surname, I get questions about both. Gives
me the opportunity to discuss where he's from and broaden people's
understanding of his country.

Old August 20th 05, 06:23 AM
Ablang

New addition to my list.

What do you think are old-fashioned names to avoid naming your kids
with? I can't think of any guy names to avoid.

I only have some suggestions for girl names:
Blanche
Edna
Ethel
Gertrude
Mildred
Marge

===
"In a world where more than 10 million americans live with cancer -- we believe unity is strength, knowledge is power, and attitude is everything!"
-- Livestrong, by Lance Armstrong

Old August 22nd 05, 05:42 AM
P. Tierney

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in message
news

"hobbes" wrote in message

Oh, he was. I don't really have a problem with the name, but I wouldn't

use
it myself. I have some acquaintances who named their baby Solomon. It's

not
a *bad* name, and it doesn't have any bad connotations--it's just that I
think it's an awfully big name to fill.

Sort of like when you see the name Jesus in the local police blotter, like
did today. Tough name to live up to. I wondered if he had been named Juan
would he have still ended up in the police blotter.

I wondered the same about a local bank robber/murderer from a
few years back with the first name of Tiffany. A man, of course.
That certainly had to cause some difficulties.

I later read that his father wasn't educated and thought the
name had some positive meaning, not at all aware that it
was more commonly a female name. Why they didn't make a
change, or go by a middle or nickname, I'm not sure.

P. Tierney

Old August 24th 05, 08:26 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
bizby40 wrote:

*There's a kid around here named Seven. His mom calls him Rainbow. I'm
*not sure whether that's first and middle, name and nickname, or perhaps his
*mom and dad could never come to an agreement.

I wonder if there are people around here saying "there's this one woman
with three kids who are all named 'honeybunch'..." (nickname!!)

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old August 24th 05, 08:49 PM
bizby40

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
In ,
bizby40 wrote:

*There's a kid around here named Seven. His mom calls him Rainbow. I'm
*not sure whether that's first and middle, name and nickname, or perhaps
his
*mom and dad could never come to an agreement.

I wonder if there are people around here saying "there's this one woman
with three kids who are all named 'honeybunch'..." (nickname!!)

I thought so at first, but I'm certain that at least one of those
is his real name. I'm thinking Seven is, since having not
seen him in many years, suddenly there were at tennis
lessons, and he shows up and that's what he's being
called.

Bizby

Old August 24th 05, 08:49 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Hillary Israeli wrote:

I wonder if there are people around here saying "there's this one woman
with three kids who are all named 'honeybunch'..." (nickname!!)

Well, those same people might be wondering if I bothered to name
mine at all ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka