3 month old sleep questions

Old July 16th 04, 05:22 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default 3 month old sleep questions

momoftwo wrote:

I agree (and said to myself as I read your post) with all that has
been said here. However, I do want to add a little more to the topic.
My son is 4 months old. How is your daughters behavoir during the
day? Do you think she is getting full enough when she eats? I
breastfeed my son for 3 weeks but finally decided that I must not be
producing enough milk. *sobs* I put him on formula and for awhile we
were okay. But then that changed also. He was not getting full on
eight ounces of formula alone. He was constantly irritable, never
slept for more than 2 hours at a time. At night he would sleep about
4 hours. If you breastfeed you need to ask yourself those questions
and consider supplementing with formula or feeding formula alone (as
you may not be producing enough milk). (I hate to say this because I
am all for breastfeeding.)

Then give accurate advice. There are a *very* few
women who cannot sustain enough production; however, the
majority can produce plenty of milk. It is a supply and
demand system. The more the baby nurses, the more you
produce. Supplementing with formula means less nursing
at the breast, which will lead to a decrease in supply.
If you suspect you need to increase your supply, supplementing
is the *worst* thing you can do, *especially* during a
growth spurt. During growth spurts they can nurse nearly
'round the clock for a few days, because that's what will
increase your supply. (Around 3 weeks is a classic time
for a growth spurt, and around 3 months is another one.)
During that time, take it easy, get plenty to eat and
drink, and settle in to do as little as possible besides
nursing for a couple of days. After that, your supply
will rise to meet demand and you'll be off and running
again.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 16th 04, 05:36 PM
Irrational Number

momoftwo wrote:

I agree (and said to myself as I read your post) with all that has
been said here. However, I do want to add a little more to the topic.
My son is 4 months old. How is your daughters behavoir during the
day? Do you think she is getting full enough when she eats? I
breastfeed my son for 3 weeks but finally decided that I must not be
producing enough milk. *sobs* [...]

Along with the other (incorrect) advice you gave to start
supplementing... There is a growth spurt at 3 weeks that
may make you THINK you do not have enough milk (as
baby nurses almost 'round the clock), but it passes in a
couple of days, and your supply will increase to match.
If baby is outputting 5-6 wet diapers a day (plus poopy
ones), there is NO NEED to supplement with formula.
That starts the slippery slope to ending breastfeeding.

Formula makes baby sleep longer because it cannot be
digested as well as breastmilk, so it's kind of like having
a rock in the tummy (so of course baby would feel
fuller and take longer to digest). It's a fake way to make
baby sleep longer.

-- Anita --

Old July 16th 04, 05:51 PM
Abi

jenn wrote in message .. .
momoftwo wrote:

I agree (and said to myself as I read your post) with all that has
been said here. However, I do want to add a little more to the topic.
My son is 4 months old. How is your daughters behavoir during the
day? Do you think she is getting full enough when she eats? I
breastfeed my son for 3 weeks but finally decided that I must not be
producing enough milk. *sobs* I put him on formula and for awhile we
were okay. But then that changed also. He was not getting full on
eight ounces of formula alone. He was constantly irritable, never
slept for more than 2 hours at a time. At night he would sleep about
4 hours. If you breastfeed you need to ask yourself those questions
and consider supplementing with formula or feeding formula alone (as
you may not be producing enough milk). (I hate to say this because I
am all for breastfeeding.) But in the best interest of our children
we need to do what is necessary for their continued growth and
development. If you currently formula feed you may need to consider
supplementing with cereal. I hope this helps a little. Good luck and
Congratulations!!

Randa

this is almost always terrifically bad advice. If the baby is gaining
weight adequately to suggest abandoning breast feeding because it wakes
up for one feeding a night is insane. Supplementing is the route to the
end of breastfeeding and almost never necessary. If you had simply
nursed more often at 3 weeks, you would most probably have increased
supply to meet his needs -- that is the way it works -- the goal in
infant feeding is not giving less digestible and healthy food to keep
them going longer between feeds but to provide the best nutrition.

encouraging a woman to abandon breastfeeding because of something this
trivial is not 'doing what is necessary' but undermining what is most
desirable.

(Abi) wrote in message . com...

Hi,

my daughter is just over 3 months. She sleeps at night from about 9pm
to 7.30am but awakes for a feed at 4am every night. At this time she
will only feed for about 10 minutes (as opposed to about 30 minutes
for day time feeds). My question is , what age will she or should she
stop having this 4am feed? Is there any way I can help or not to want
this or does she actually physically need this feed because of her
age?

I also wanted to know how others put their babies down for daytime
naps. My daughter never seems to want to have a nap in the day - or if
she does it's only when she has been in a car or in a push chair. If I
try and rock her to sleep in an infant carrier then she may only sleep
for 30 minutes or so. Should I put her down in her cot bed for
daytime naps or would she associate this with nighttime sleeping? Any
tips on this would be great because I think she does get overtired
especially towards the end of the day.
Thanks!

Many htanks for all your advice. Yes I breastfeed exclusively and dd
is the weight she should be. So can I assume that there is no set age
when they dont need feeding at night? It sounds like I have been lucky
so far then!
Old July 17th 04, 09:13 PM
Cheryl S.

"Abi" wrote in message
om...
So can I assume that there is no set age
when they dont need feeding at night?

Yes, you should assume this.

It sounds like I have been lucky
so far then!

I would agree with that. My 10 month old wakes to nurse at least
twice a night. OTOH my first was like yours so I guess I've had my
share of good luck.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 10 months

Old July 18th 04, 01:15 AM
HUSHPUP

My question is , what age will she or should she stop having this 4am feed?
Is there any way I can help or not to want this or does she actually
physically need this feed because of her age?

We put our four month old son down for the night at approximately 7:30 after a bath and a book.

We wake him up again at 11:00 for a feeding and than he goes back to
bed without any fuss and wakes up again between 6:30 and 7:00 am. He's
been doing this since he was three weeks old.

I must say I hesitate at times to say what a good-natured baby he is
because inevitably the next day he's fussy. It's the Irish in me -
don't want to jinx myself.

Christina
mum to Chase 3/12/04