Old-fashioned names to avoid naming your kids with

Old August 15th 05, 12:15 AM
stasya

And we'd be stuck with the same 100 or so names, not to mention that
you might think that some names are made-up when they're not. My
children are named Talise and Jolon. Neither of those are made up,
they're native american names with meaning that took months to decide
on. (Actually Jolon wasn't named until probably 3 weeks at least after
he was born. We couldn't decide between Jolon and another name that I
can't remember..)
I DO feel sorry though for the Caitlyn/Kaitlin/etc simply for the
numerous spelling errors.
How about kids named after major coporate products? I remember reading
a newspaper article years ago about this, girls named Pepsi, Mercedes
(there's one in our town)...now that is just, weird.
Oh well, to each their own!
Stasya

Old August 15th 05, 12:30 AM

Stasya wrote: How about kids named after major coporate products? I
remember reading
a newspaper article years ago about this, girls named Pepsi, Mercedes
(there's one in our town)...now that is just, weird.

Mary responds: I lived in residence once with a woman named Corvette,
if you can believe it.

Old August 15th 05, 01:46 AM
dejablues

"stasya" wrote in message
oups.com...
And we'd be stuck with the same 100 or so names, not to mention that
you might think that some names are made-up when they're not. My
children are named Talise and Jolon. Neither of those are made up,
they're native american names with meaning that took months to decide
on. (Actually Jolon wasn't named until probably 3 weeks at least after
he was born. We couldn't decide between Jolon and another name that I
can't remember..)
I DO feel sorry though for the Caitlyn/Kaitlin/etc simply for the
numerous spelling errors.
How about kids named after major coporate products? I remember reading
a newspaper article years ago about this, girls named Pepsi, Mercedes
(there's one in our town)...now that is just, weird.
Oh well, to each their own!
Stasya

"Mercedes" was a name long before it became associated with the expensive
German automobile. It means "merciful or compassionate" , and is of
Latin/Spanish origin. Although it's a perfectly nice name, why anyone would
want to use it now is beyond me, since it's so deeply associated with the
car. (DS16 has a classmate named Mercedes).

Old August 15th 05, 02:18 AM
toto

On 14 Aug 2005 16:15:32 -0700, "stasya" wrote:

How about kids named after major coporate products? I remember reading
a newspaper article years ago about this, girls named Pepsi, Mercedes
(there's one in our town)...now that is just, weird.

Mercedes as a name predates the corporation, I think.

Mercedes

Gender: Girl
Pronunciation: mer-SAY-dees
Origin: Spanish
Meaning: "Mercies."
Notes: Used in reference to the Virgin Mary, Santa Maria de las
Mercedes as "Our Lady of Mercies." Literary: the name of the lost love
of Edmond Dantes in Dumas's "The Count of Monte Cristo." Also the name
of the German luxury car, which was named for a little girl named
Mercedes. Mostly Catholic use. See also Mercy. Actresses Mercedes
McCambridge, Mercedes Ruehl.
Variants: Merced, Mercede, Mercedez
Other related names: Mersera

***************
Popularity: The name Mercedes ranked 433 out of 4275 (Top 10%) as a
first name for females of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census. The name
Mercedes ranked 12566 out of 88799 (Top 14%) as a surname for males
and females of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old August 15th 05, 03:09 AM

stasya wrote:
And we'd be stuck with the same 100 or so names, not to mention that
you might think that some names are made-up when they're not. My
children are named Talise and Jolon. Neither of those are made up,
they're native american names with meaning that took months to decide
on. (Actually Jolon wasn't named until probably 3 weeks at least after
he was born. We couldn't decide between Jolon and another name that I
can't remember..)
I DO feel sorry though for the Caitlyn/Kaitlin/etc simply for the
numerous spelling errors.
How about kids named after major coporate products? I remember reading
a newspaper article years ago about this, girls named Pepsi, Mercedes
(there's one in our town)...now that is just, weird.
Oh well, to each their own!
Stasya

Just adding to the comments on the name Mercedes. It's my MIL's given
name (on her birth certificate), but has been called Marie (which is
her middle name) all her life. Her sister's names are Esperanza (Hope),
Eleanora (Eleanor), and Amalia(Amy). She had two brothers, Teodor (Ted)
and Juan (John). She was born in the 1940s and her family has lived in
Colorado since before it was Colorado (they are first founders).

Mercedes is indeed an old name.

annette

Old August 15th 05, 03:30 AM

Ablang wrote:
What do you think are old-fashioned names to avoid naming your kids
with? I can't think of any guy names to avoid.

I only have some suggestions for girl names:
Blanche
Edna
Ethel
Gertrude

===
"The pressure is outrageous. Everyone is picked apart and it's so superficial and not real. I'm not superskinny and not overweight. I'm just normal."
-- Hilary Duff

Gertrude is one of my mother's middle name (Rosmarie Gertrude
Magdalene). She has never cared for it and just uses her middle
initials (G.M.) after her first name on paperwork. My mother is German
born though, so family names from that side (Werner, Gunther,
Hans-Dieter, Emil, Wolfgang, Ursula, Herta, Marlena, etc.) weren't
considered when we were choosing names because none of them sounded
right with my husband's English derived name.

When my husband and I were making lists of names, we really liked the
name Oberon. Even though it was the name of a character in a book I
really liked (Little, Big), I just couldn't name my son after the King
of the Fairies with a clear conscience. I really dreaded the idea that
other kids would pick on him.

annette
DS1 (Connor) 7-19-01
DS2 (Ryan) 8-20-04...almost 1 year old!!

Old August 15th 05, 07:41 AM
toypup

"bizby40" wrote in message
I'm not really sure what's wrong with Job either. Again, if I
recall correctly, he was singled out for this contest with the
devil because he was a righteous man.

I don't think I'd choose Job. It's nice to be riteous, but I don't want my
child in that sort of contest. Naming him Job would be like tempting fate.