No heartbeat visble on U/S at what we thought was 10 weeks?

Old September 11th 03, 10:01 PM
Tex

Default No heartbeat visble on U/S at what we thought was 10 weeks?

My wife went to the OB/GYN two weeks ago after two positive HPTs. She
thought she was at that time 8 weeks. The nurse listened for but did
not hear a heartbeat. They did not do an ultrasound at that first
visit. They only did a blood test and a physical exam.

Today we went back for the second visit. This was for a scheduled
ultrasound.
My wife thinks she is about 10 weeks.

Right away we could see the embyro. It did not look as developed as
you would expect for 10 weeks. Its head was visible, as well as buds
for arms and legs.
I did not see any movement of any kind.

The nurse quickly measured the embryo and the screen displayed "7
weeks 2 days". The nurse summoned the doctor.

The doctor said "here's an embryo, but there is no heartbeat".

He said to come back in four days (next Monday) for a second U/S, but
he didn't want to get our hopes up. He said there is only a 10%
chance that it's viable.

Could it be that she is only 6 or 7 weeks along? Would the heartbeat
be visible in that case? Or should we give up all hope and accept
reality?

Old September 11th 03, 10:16 PM
Mary W.

Could it be that she is only 6 or 7 weeks along? Would the heartbeat
be visible in that case? Or should we give up all hope and accept
reality?

Did they use a vaginal probe for the ultrasound? At 7w2d, the heartbeat
is usually visible by vaginal US (we saw ours at 7w4d). But they could
have gotten a bad read or been in a poor position.

I had a blighted ovum in my first pregnancy. I had a vaginal US at
6 w, baby was dated at 5 w, and no heartbeat. For the next two
weeks I had serial US to see if there was any growth, there wasn't.
My HCG levels were also monitored during this time. When they
were dropping, and no growth on the US, it was confirmed as a
miscarriage. Those were two of the hardest weeks of my life. I'm
really sorry for the worry this is causing you. I hope that you'll
get great news on Monday.

Mary

Old September 11th 03, 11:13 PM
Carol Ann

:: My wife went to the OB/GYN two weeks ago after two positive HPTs. She
:: thought she was at that time 8 weeks. The nurse listened for but did
:: not hear a heartbeat.

I am at approximately 11 weeks+ and today we could not hear the heartbeat.
The doctor said it is most probably too soon. She said that without any
negative symptoms such as bleeding or sudden ceasing of pregnancy symptoms,
not to worry.

::They did not do an ultrasound at that first
:: visit. They only did a blood test and a physical exam.
::
[...]

It could be that she is 6 or 7 weeks along. At appx. 7 weeks+ I was able to
see the 4 chambers of the heart pumping via transvaginal ultrasound.

I do wish you the best. IMHO, there is always hope.

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

Old September 12th 03, 02:40 AM
annafine

Don't give up hope.

I don't know you, and I don't know if you're a religious person or
not...but I've said a prayer for you and your wife.

May God Bless you both.

At 10 weeks when I had an u/s (non vaginal) the baby's heartbeat was
very loud and clear, yet the OB could NOT detect it in her office at
that time. It wasn't until 14 weeks that she could get it in her
office.

I'll keep you in my prayers through the weekend...I'll look for an
update early next week.

I wish you the best.
Anna
EDD #1 October 18, 2003
Old September 12th 03, 02:44 PM
Ilse Witch

Tex wrote:
My wife went to the OB/GYN two weeks ago after two positive HPTs. She
thought she was at that time 8 weeks. The nurse listened for but did
not hear a heartbeat. They did not do an ultrasound at that first
visit. They only did a blood test and a physical exam.

At 8w it is nearly impossible to detect a hearbeat with Doppler, and
if your wife was indeed less far, it would be out of the question.

Right away we could see the embyro. It did not look as developed as
you would expect for 10 weeks. Its head was visible, as well as buds
for arms and legs.
I did not see any movement of any kind.

You don't see much movement at that age at all, but IIRC a heartbeat
should be well visible if you detect the embryo. At that stage the
heart is almost 20% of the body, and if you can see arm and legbuds,
you should see it beating too. However, you may have been just a bit
too early, it wouldn't be the first time.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)