pubic bone separation

Old March 24th 04, 08:16 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Default pubic bone separation

Judging from my pain and its location, midwife and I agree that I've
probably got a separated pubic bone. It happened very early in the
pregnancy. I tried to tell my doctor about it, but he said it was
normal. (I didn't agree, but I didn't want to push the issue either)
This is perhaps not rare, but I don't see how it can be normal. Anyway,
I'm wondering what info any of you may have. I think I remember reading
about someone who had this some time back, but I only saw one post and I
don't know if she's still here (and I don't remember her name). Is
there a name for this condition? I'm having difficulty finding out info.

The pain from this is, at times, positively excruciating. Sometimes I
can barely walk. Last night, I couldn't walk at all. Today is not so
bad for some reason.

Old March 24th 04, 08:38 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

SEPARATED? If it were SEPARATED you would definitely NOT be able to walk!!!

I think you mean SPD - symphysis pubis dysfunction - which is a normal
VARIANT of pregnancy but actually is a condition that not all women have.

information:
http://tinyurl.com/2vcvc

Old March 24th 04, 08:43 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

Judging from my pain and its location, midwife and I agree that I've
probably got a separated pubic bone. It happened very early in the
pregnancy. I tried to tell my doctor about it, but he said it was
normal. (I didn't agree, but I didn't want to push the issue either)
This is perhaps not rare, but I don't see how it can be normal. Anyway,
I'm wondering what info any of you may have. I think I remember reading
about someone who had this some time back, but I only saw one post and I
don't know if she's still here (and I don't remember her name). Is
there a name for this condition? I'm having difficulty finding out info.

Yes, there's a name--SPD, or symphisis pubis dysfunction.
I had it last time around, and it was definitely painful.
Chiropractic care helped me a little bit, but unfortunately
it tended to only help the day it was done, and then when
I went to bed that night, I would mess everything up. I was
okay as long as I was up and putting even pressure on my
hips. When I laid down on my side at night, it seems I would
really push things out of alignment. It was also annoying
in labor. I spent the first stage sitting, standing, or
walking (the rough bits sitting on the edge of my bed). I
tried side lying during second stage, but it was agonizing.
The only position that worked at all for me was hands and
knees.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 24th 04, 08:44 PM
Angela Schepers

I have this problem too but my doc seems convinced that it's just from
the baby pinching nerves. I'm not terribly convinced but I'm supposed
to see a physical therapist next week so maybe I'll get some answers
then. My pain is really awful some days and other days not bad at all.
Last night DH had to literally carry me to bed because I couldn't walk
it myself. Rolling over in bed is also excruating sometimes. Symphysis
Pubis Dysfunction is the name of the condition and I'll give you the
link to the website. I hope this helps you out. Unfortunately I
haven't found anything to help ease the pain. I wish you the best.

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm

Angela
EDD with Quinn Alexander 5-13-04

Old March 24th 04, 08:50 PM
Welches

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote in message
Judging from my pain and its location, midwife and I agree that I've
probably got a separated pubic bone. It happened very early in the
pregnancy. I tried to tell my doctor about it, but he said it was
normal. (I didn't agree, but I didn't want to push the issue either)
This is perhaps not rare, but I don't see how it can be normal. Anyway,
I'm wondering what info any of you may have. I think I remember reading
about someone who had this some time back, but I only saw one post and I
don't know if she's still here (and I don't remember her name). Is
there a name for this condition? I'm having difficulty finding out info.

The pain from this is, at times, positively excruciating. Sometimes I
can barely walk. Last night, I couldn't walk at all. Today is not so
bad for some reason.

I had a friend whom this happened to in her second pregnancy. Not good news,
as you say, it's pretty excruciating. She was in a wheelchair by the end of
her pregnancy, but the good news is that she did get back on her feet fairly
quickly after she'd given birth. More bad news is that it still causes
twinges for a long time afterwards, and she needed physiotherepy. You can
have degrees of it (how much separation etc.) and I've known a couple of
people that have had it towards the end of pregancy and it hasn't caused as
many problems then.
Sorry to hear about it.
Debbie

Old March 24th 04, 09:28 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Angela Schepers wrote:
I have this problem too but my doc seems convinced that it's just from
the baby pinching nerves. I'm not terribly convinced but I'm supposed
to see a physical therapist next week so maybe I'll get some answers
then. My pain is really awful some days and other days not bad at all.
Last night DH had to literally carry me to bed because I couldn't walk
it myself. Rolling over in bed is also excruating sometimes. Symphysis
Pubis Dysfunction is the name of the condition and I'll give you the
link to the website. I hope this helps you out. Unfortunately I
haven't found anything to help ease the pain. I wish you the best.

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm

Heh heh, I ended up finding this one myself after doing some more
searches! Thanks for posting it, though. The symptoms described there
are *so me*.

I wish DH could carry me, sometimes, but I'm way too big for him. We're
almost exactly the same height, but he's just a skinny little fellow.

I have been getting the feeling that a lot of problems in pregnancy
simply don't get taken very seriously. I've assumed that part of the
problem is that birth usually cures everything (although I've read, just
now, that SPD can stick around). They probably figure that there's no
point in doing anything for a problem that's going to eventually go away
on its own anyway. They finally seemed to have taken morning sickness
seriously, but didn't they originally try to tell women that it was all
in their heads, like maybe as recently as 50 years ago?

Old March 24th 04, 09:31 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Welches wrote:

[...]

I've considered crutches. People try to discourage me from that, but if
it keeps getting worse, I'll buy the things myself without them knowing
about it. I've used crutches before, so I know the basics. DH will
probably go and get them for me if I ask him to. ;-) He really hates
to see me in pain like this.

Old March 24th 04, 10:15 PM
Angela Schepers

It took me 8-10 weeks of complaining at every appointment to finally get
my doc to acknowledge that I had a problem and that it was serious
enough to warrant some notice. Even then it took me having an anxiety
attack during the appointment (because of the pain increasing- I think
due to the baby's head engaging in my pelvis) and breaking down bawling
to finally get some attention. I don't know why they seem to want to
take these things so lightly. Aches and pains are no doubt going to
occur but it shouldn't get to the point to where we can't even walk by
ourselves. What is it going to take to get these Doctors to take more
notice I wonder?

Old March 24th 04, 10:40 PM
Nikki

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Yes, there's a name--SPD, or symphisis pubis dysfunction.
I had it last time around, and it was definitely painful.
Chiropractic care helped me a little bit, but unfortunately
it tended to only help the day it was done, and then when
I went to bed that night, I would mess everything up. I was
okay as long as I was up and putting even pressure on my
hips. When I laid down on my side at night, it seems I would
really push things out of alignment. It was also annoying
in labor.

I had in pregnancy #1 starting at around 20wks or so. Miserable. I don't
remember it really having much impact during labor though. I was a little
freaked out during labor so I may not have noticed, lol. If I stood up on
both feet evenly, like you suggest it wasn't to bad. Walking, sitting to
standing - ouchy, all hurt. And trust me girls....don't try to run. I,
without thinking, ran after my dog at about 36 weeks. I'm sure running
isn't want it looked like and I fell down. Quite a site I'm sure, lol. It
hurt so bad for a few days after that. Warm baths and message felt good but
didn't cure it.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 24th 04, 10:44 PM
Christine

Geeze, I wonder if this is what I have...on Mon. i had my 32 week
appointment....and she said my baby turned...;-),,,,head first now,, so
i just figured that was why my pubic bone hurt so bad,,,,but mine gets
really bad when i first get up in the morning, or after sitting for
awhile...its always there the last few days but its worse, at
times......as i mentioned before, it actually feels good to
waddle....LOL...

Christine