vaginal discharge during early pregnancy

Old April 5th 04, 04:56 PM
Irinka

Default vaginal discharge during early pregnancy

Hi all! I am in my 6th week now and everything went fine until yesterday I
discovered some brownish stains in my underwear that nearly made me faint.
I am so scared... what would that be? Is that something every wrong going
on? It's doesn't look like blood and it's not too much either (just a few
small stains) and doesn't have a particular smell. It's my first pregnancy
and I really don't know what to expect. Does somebody know what this
discharge can mean and if I should go to the doctor asap? Thanks a lot for
all replies!

Old April 5th 04, 05:15 PM
Fer

Irinka wrote:
|| Hi all! I am in my 6th week now and everything went fine until
|| yesterday I discovered some brownish stains in my underwear that
|| nearly made me faint. I am so scared... what would that be? Is that
|| something every wrong going on? It's doesn't look like blood and
|| it's not too much either (just a few small stains) and doesn't have
|| a particular smell. It's my first pregnancy and I really don't know
|| what to expect. Does somebody know what this discharge can mean and
|| if I should go to the doctor asap? Thanks a lot for all replies!

Brown blood is old blood so it isn't as much of a concern. There is a good
chance that it could be left over from implantion. Like always you should
talk to your doc about any bleeding.

--?

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellyfish due June 25/04

Old April 5th 04, 05:54 PM
Tori M.

"Irinka" wrote in message
news
Hi all! I am in my 6th week now and everything went fine until yesterday I
discovered some brownish stains in my underwear that nearly made me faint.
I am so scared... what would that be? Is that something every wrong going
on? It's doesn't look like blood and it's not too much either (just a few
small stains) and doesn't have a particular smell. It's my first pregnancy
and I really don't know what to expect. Does somebody know what this
discharge can mean and if I should go to the doctor asap? Thanks a lot for
all replies!

I am not positive since I never had this sort of discharge but I believe as
long as it is brown it ok. I think when it turns red like new blood then
you should call the dr. That is what I have gathered from reading previous
questions like this.

Tori

Old April 5th 04, 07:20 PM
Ilse Witch

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:56:05 +0000, Irinka wrote:

Hi all! I am in my 6th week now and everything went fine until yesterday I
discovered some brownish stains in my underwear that nearly made me faint.

General warning: m/c and bleeding mentioned

I don't want to scare you or anything, you are most likely out of your
wits already, but brown stains in my case have gone either way. Let me
first say that it is a *very common* thing in early pregnancy and it
doesn't mean you will miscarry at all. Keep an eye on it, you may want to
keep a diary on what you experience. Warning symptoms a red spotting,
even small amounts and especially when not related to intercourse or a
bowel movement, and cramping in your lower abdomen, like period pains.

If you want clarity, just call your midwife for a check. Say clearly you
are spotting and she will make time for you instantly (if not, you want to
reconsider your caregiver). When pregnant with DS I had spotting like that
for weeks, starting at week 5, ending after week 10, but it was small
amounts and *always* brown. Usually in the mornings a little more than
during the day, and also more after a bowel movement. A first u/s at
7w didn't show anything, but a second at 8.5w clearly showed a foetus with
heartbeat and deep down I just knew all was well.

WARNING: if you're really upset and worried, don't read any further. I
just want you to hear the full story if you are OK with it.

However, as you can see in my sigline, my second and third pregnancy were
not succesful. During both I had similar spotting, in the second from week
8, in the third from week 5. The main difference I noticed was that in the
second pregnancy there really was a LOT more spotting, almost like the end
of a period at times, but always brown. I didn't have real cramping though,
so I wasn't too worried at first and only found out things were not good
when I asked for an u/s at 10w. Turned out I had a blighted ovum and I m/c
a few days later. The third time I had one week of spotting just like with
DS, it stopped at 6 weeks, but at 7 weeks I suddenly started to bleed dark
red and heavy and knew this wasn't good. In the last case I don't know if
the spotting was a bad sign or not, it could have gone either way IMO.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (20m)

Old April 5th 04, 11:17 PM
Amy

Any bleeding in early pg is considered a threatened m/c, but that doesn't
really mean much when you consider the number of women who bleed and _don't_
m/c.
I had brown spotting for about a week or so with both pregnancies, with #1
it became pink for about a day, with this one it was pink for a couple of
days and I passed a couple of small clots and had cramping. I was sure I was
m/c but I'm now 26 weeks.
Do definitely keep an eye on it and mention it to your Dr/midwife. If you're
really worried, they can do blood levels of Hcg to see if they're rising
normally or if you're about to m/c.
Just take it easy, avoid sex for a little while until everything has settled
down - bleeding in early pg is commonly from the cervix which is more
sensitive & vascular during pg.
All the best,
Amy

news

Old April 6th 04, 03:26 AM
Paula

Ilse Witch wrote in message ...
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:56:05 +0000, Irinka wrote:

Hi all! I am in my 6th week now and everything went fine until yesterday I
discovered some brownish stains in my underwear that nearly made me faint.

I too had brownish spotting with my first pregnancy at 6 wks. I
called my doc. asap and went in for an u/s that same day. Everything
was fine . . . If anything, I would call your health care provider
for peace of mind. Chances are the brown spotting is old blood.

Best wishes.
Paula
DS (November '01)
EDD Baby #2(Aug. '04)

Old April 6th 04, 08:29 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:17:08 +1200, Amy wrote:

Any bleeding in early pg is considered a threatened m/c, but that doesn't
really mean much when you consider the number of women who bleed and _don't_
m/c.

Yes it does. Spotting is indeed very common in the first trimester,
occuring in about 30-40% of the pregnant women. Half of them will
eventually miscarry. So spotting does increase your risk of m/c
significantly, but again, this is only a risk, not a guarantee.

Old April 7th 04, 06:29 AM
Nick

My wife is currently 13 (almost 14) weeks pregnant. She has some
brownish/greenish discharge when she was 6w6d. She went to the doctor and
he saw blood on the cervix and was concerned and ordered an ultra-sound.
The ultra-sound revealed everything was fine and that she just had a tender
cervix. Brown or greenish discharge can be old blood. You probably would
want to call your O.B. and see what he says. I can tell you bright red
blood and cramping are not good...otherwise, it never hurts to call your
O.B.

Hope this helps,

news

Old April 7th 04, 06:52 AM
Tori M.

Green can also mean infection... I knew a girl that had this problem and she
had an infected uterus... she ended up loosing the baby... But it was the
3rd miscarriage in less then 8 months and she did go against the dr.s orders
of not trying for 1 year after the 2nd mc.

Tori
"Nick" wrote in message
My wife is currently 13 (almost 14) weeks pregnant. She has some
brownish/greenish discharge when she was 6w6d. She went to the doctor and
he saw blood on the cervix and was concerned and ordered an ultra-sound.
The ultra-sound revealed everything was fine and that she just had a

tender
cervix. Brown or greenish discharge can be old blood. You probably would
want to call your O.B. and see what he says. I can tell you bright red
blood and cramping are not good...otherwise, it never hurts to call your
O.B.

Hope this helps,

news