school snack question

Old September 11th 06, 11:25 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

Default school snack question

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 00:45:19 -0500, "Tori M"
wrote:

From what I could tell it had you buying the light/low fat versions off all
of these. I see nothing wrong with Gold Fish or with Pretzels or cereal
bars.

Goldfish nutrition information:

Nutrition Facts*

Amount Per Serving (serving size) = 55 crackers

Calories 140
Total Fat 5g
Sat. Fat 1g
Cholesterol 5mg
Sodium 260mg
Total Carb. 20g
Dietary Fiber 1g

Sugars 1g
Protein 4g
% Daily Values**

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4%
Iron 2%

Far too much sodium in a serving.

The RDA for adults (US) is 2400 mg per day. The recommendation in the
UK is much less (1600 mg per day). That's for adults though the US
says it is also for children over 4 years of age.

Thus a single serving (and kids will eat more if given a chance), is
almost 11% of the daily sodium intake allowed. If you take the UK
standard, it's 15%.

There are very few vitamins, no fiber, 8% of the daily allowance for
protein.

Pretzels are basically a *one food group* snack. Probably ok if not
heavily salted and served with something from another food group to
balance it off.

Cereal bars would probably depend on the type. Most have more sugar
than anything else and many have a good deal of sodium as well.

Tori
Cheetos are a healthy snack??!!??

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old September 12th 06, 03:16 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Nan" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 00:58:10 -0500, "Tori M"
wrote:

The only thing that bugs me about all this is the public service type
announcements in comercials on Nick. and Cartoon Network... Somewhere in
the
last 3-4 Months Bonnie has decided eating makes you Fat.. She is a tiny
little thing. Not in anyones definition of overweight even in a growth
spurt. I have to show her pictures of people that eat daily and are nice
and thin before she will eat.. SHE IS 4!!!

Ack. I get the same from E sometimes. She's 3rd %ile for weight.
She tells me she worries about getting fat! She has not gotten the
idea from me, I can tell you that.

Nan

I've never heard it at all from my boys. They call me fat once in a while
:-P. I wonder if this is just a fluke or more of a trend that girls pick up
on these things more then boys. I imagine for the most part young girls
probably spend more time thinking about how they look period. My boys don't
at all.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old September 12th 06, 07:13 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

LOL. That is too much. Goldfish qualifies? Anyway, I know what you are
trying to say in relation to them dictating what you should provide,
but on the other hand, I think I would reserve my disdain should they
decide to tell me to provide something junkfoody versus healthy. My
daughter's teacher just notified us that she does not want us to
provide birthday snacks this year, which is a big deal for children,
but instead requests that we provide party favors to pass out. Huh? Let
me get this straight, she wants US to pay $$$ to buy other students
gifts to celebreate MY child's birthday? There are only so many
pencils, erasers, rulers one can contribute at a cheap rate. While I
could afford it, I find it offensive that she assumes everyone can just
do this type of thing, especially taking into consideration the
children on reduced-/free-lunch programs. lol. (sorry for my rant).
Unless that teacher is a trained dietician, she should certainly be
careful as to what constitutes healthy versus nonhealthy. I would send
an e-mail listing the ingredients and explain that you are also trying
to instill healthy eating/drinking habits with your children, and that
you in no way see that water as being unhealthy and that her telling
her daughter that it is can be misleading and confusing, of course with
the phrase that will make a teacher feel less defensive and instead
nurturing such as "am I missing something?" or "is there someting about
one of these ingredients I should know about?", although in your case,
these would come out condescending since there isn't. lol. Maybe they
are doing the "all water or nothing" route just to avoid having to
analyze the vast differing drinks children will bring in?

Tracey wrote:
Okay, my DD school is trying to enforce 'healthy snacks'. Nevermind my
feelings about the school trying to enforce what I should be feeding my
child, but I have a question about what you all think. They have this
program they call 'snack attack' Every couple of days, during snacktime,
the teacher tells them that it is a snack attack day, and checks everyones
snack. If 100% of the class has healthy snacks as opposed to non healthy
snacks, the class gets a star. The classes with the most stars at the end
of the month or whatever get a special treat (actually, its an extra gym
class, I think).

We have been told to send 'a health snack, no junk food' for snacktime.
Fine, I'm all for that, but ultimately *I* should be deciding what food to
give my kid, not some teacher. Today I sent my daughter to school with
carrots, ranch dressing, and a drink: Minute Maid Fruit Falls flavored
water in a bag (like Capri Suns come in). It is 3% juice, 97% water. There
is *NO SUGAR ADDED*, no corn syrup, nothing like that. Water and a splash
of juice. My daughter likes to drink these (I don't like them, but hey, I'd
rather drink plain water).

She came home from school today telling me that she was thirsty all morning
because her teacher wouldn't let her drink her flavored water during snack
time. Why not? Because it isn't "100% juice".

Huh? Its got no sugar. If she brought in a cup of water with a slice of
lemon in it, the teacher wouldn't complain about that, but this is the same
thing. In my mind, its better for the kid to be drinking water with a
splash of juice (2 carb grams per serving, sugars less than 1g per serving,
and 5 calories) than a serving of 100% juice with a lot more grams of sugar
and calories.

The nutritional label on this product says this for ingredients: "Contains
pure filtered water, grape and pear juices from concentrate, less than 0.5%
of: raspberry, blueberrry, and strawberry juices from concentrate, calcium
citrate (calcium source), Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), natural flavors, citrus
acid (provides tartness), sucralose, acesfulfame potassium."

Am I misinterpreting something, or is the teacher nuts?

BTW, according to the teacher, Goldfish count as a 'healthy snack' (okay,
they are better than other choices, but if you don't consider WATER with
fruit juice flavoring as healthy, how are goldfish healthy?)

Opinions??????

Old September 12th 06, 09:03 AM posted to misc.kids
L.

StephanieTheGoofy wrote:

LOL. Tell us how you really feel! But in all seriousness, do you really feel
that that is an actual response that you would make? I certainly understand
your point, and wonder if this is anb expression of your feelings but not
your likely actions. My fear would be that you would not be doing your child
any favors by becoming the verbally abusive wacky lady around town.

I'd be ****ed as hell. I'd probably leave the "****ing" out, but I'd
probably also tell her she ought to be damn glad she is dealing with me
and not my husband. He'd bury the bodies.

-L.

Old September 12th 06, 10:04 AM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:16:16 -0500, "Nikki" wrote:

I've never heard it at all from my boys. They call me fat once in a while
:-P. I wonder if this is just a fluke or more of a trend that girls pick up
on these things more then boys. I imagine for the most part young girls
probably spend more time thinking about how they look period. My boys don't
at all.

My ds never worried about that either. He didn't care how he looked
until girls became more important than just an annoyance he had to
endure ;-)

Nan

Old September 12th 06, 12:32 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Nikki" wrote in
news:kuGdncpz6vHshZvYnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@prairiewave. com:

I've never heard it at all from my boys. They call me fat
once in a while
:-P. I wonder if this is just a fluke or more of a trend
:that girls pick up
on these things more then boys. I imagine for the most
part young girls probably spend more time thinking about
how they look period. My boys don't at all.

i think girls pick it up more, but Boo *has* made comments
about getting fat (another 3%tile for weight kid) & needing
more exercise (yeah, Mr.Nonstop needs more exercise!).
i don't know where he gets it because he watches very little
tv, & only Noggin, Sprout or PBS when he does (although he's
mad at Sprout for firing Melanie and putting on "stupid big
people commercials" so he doesn't want to watch it anymore)

lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old September 12th 06, 12:49 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

wrote in
oups.com:

lol. (sorry for my rant). Unless that teacher is a trained
dietician, she should certainly be careful as to what
constitutes healthy versus nonhealthy. I would send an
e-mail listing the ingredients and explain that you are
also trying to instill healthy eating/drinking habits with
your children, and that you in no way see that water as
being unhealthy and that her telling her daughter that it
is can be misleading and confusing, of course with the
phrase that will make a teacher feel less defensive and
instead nurturing such as "am I missing something?" or "is
there someting about one of these ingredients I should know
about?", although in your case, these would come out
condescending since there isn't. lol. Maybe they are doing
the "all water or nothing" route just to avoid having to
analyze the vast differing drinks children will bring in?

these are the ingredients:
The nutritional label on this product says this for

ingredients: "Contains
pure filtered water, grape and pear juices from concentrate,

less than 0.5%
of: raspberry, blueberrry, and strawberry juices from

concentrate, calcium
citrate (calcium source), Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), natural

flavors, citrus
acid (provides tartness), sucralose, acesfulfame potassium."

see those last two? those are artificial sweeteners, which
children don't need (& IMNSHO, shouldn't have).
artificial sweeteners have been shown to cause *more* craving
for sweets than real sugars, plus, being sweeter, they raise
the expectation for more sweetness in normal foods.
in other words, if the flavored water had sugar, it wouldn't
be as sweet. if the child is used to drinking less sweet
drinks or eating less sweet foods, they aren't going to be
craving excessive sweetness.
let's use my kid for example. he likes fresh fruit. i made
oatmeal raisin cookies last night. i can cut out about half
the sugar in the recipe because if i don't he finds the
cookies "too sweet". because he doesn't eat commercial cookies
or anything with artificial sweeteners, his body doesn't crave
more sweetness & he doesn't seek sweet snacks
lee
Old September 12th 06, 12:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article .com,
says...

[...]

Maybe she's trying to get away from the whole food/sweets thing for birthdays?
I'd sympathize and ante up for pencils any day! Although really the best
solution is to do away with the whole birthday-celebration-during-school gig to
begin with.

Unless that teacher is a trained dietician, she should certainly be
careful as to what constitutes healthy versus nonhealthy. I would send
an e-mail listing the ingredients and explain that you are also trying
to instill healthy eating/drinking habits with your children, and that
you in no way see that water as being unhealthy and that her telling
her daughter that it is can be misleading and confusing, of course with
the phrase that will make a teacher feel less defensive and instead
nurturing such as "am I missing something?" or "is there someting about
one of these ingredients I should know about?", although in your case,
these would come out condescending since there isn't. lol. Maybe they
are doing the "all water or nothing" route just to avoid having to
analyze the vast differing drinks children will bring in?

We went to that for our monthly Cub Scout pack meetings! That got away from
both the sweets serving and the pandemonium around that, and all the questions
surrounding the desire to serve packaged food-dye soaked kids' drinks vs. real
juices ("it's not healthy - serve real juice" "but juice is *expensive* we *have
to* get the cheepest drinks!") Truly, water is all boys aged first through
sixth grade need at a 7pm two hour meeting. So it's not all that weird a
concept.

Banty

Old September 12th 06, 01:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Caledonia

wrote:
My
daughter's teacher just notified us that she does not want us to
provide birthday snacks this year, which is a big deal for children,
but instead requests that we provide party favors to pass out. Huh? Let
me get this straight, she wants US to pay $$$ to buy other students
gifts to celebreate MY child's birthday?

I can see how some folks might find 'party favors' to be a big expense
-- yet how many parties are there a year? 15? 5 pens, 5 erasers, 5
pencils -- doesn't seem like a big deal. On the other hand, 15 cupcakes
-- home-made or store-bought -- might not be the kind of thing she'd
like the kids to have. I know that there are kids allergic to milk,
eggs, and red dye #20 in DD1's class, and hence the whole concept of
making food for little kids which some kids should just not eat seems
less hospitable than tying ribbons around a pencil and calling it a
'party favor.'

There are only so many
pencils, erasers, rulers one can contribute at a cheap rate.

I think that every kid could use pencils, unless we're talking a class
size of 40...

While I
could afford it, I find it offensive that she assumes everyone can just
do this type of thing, especially taking into consideration the
children on reduced-/free-lunch programs.

Were those kids formerly involved in passing out birthday snacks?
Somehow, I guess not; if it's similar to my experience, some kids
passed out oodles of stuff, some kids never passed out anything, and
some kids passed out a cupcake that 3 kids couldn't/shouldn't
eat....it's the last case that I think is the trickiest, and I think
the teacher wants to sidestep.

Unless that teacher is a trained dietician, she should certainly be
careful as to what constitutes healthy versus nonhealthy. I would send
an e-mail listing the ingredients and explain that you are also trying
to instill healthy eating/drinking habits with your children, and that
you in no way see that water as being unhealthy and that her telling
her daughter that it is can be misleading and confusing, of course with
the phrase that will make a teacher feel less defensive and instead
nurturing such as "am I missing something?" or "is there someting about
one of these ingredients I should know about?", although in your case,
these would come out condescending since there isn't. lol. Maybe they
are doing the "all water or nothing" route just to avoid having to
analyze the vast differing drinks children will bring in?

But wait, I didn't think the OP's daughter was bringing in water, she
was bringing in some sort of drink with a large water content....

Caledonia

Old September 12th 06, 01:59 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Banty" wrote in message
In article .com,
says...

[...]

I'd much rather they had something non-sweet. I don't think you'd
necessarily end up paying more.
You could buy stickers and cut them into individual ones and give one each.
Hey-you could even get blank ones and get your child to decorate one each.
That would be cheaper than sweets. You can get packets of fancy rubbers and
give one each. Or packets of 15 gel pens. Or even coloured notepads would
not be much more expensive.
In fact that's such a good idea I think I'll o for the party favours option.
As #1's at the older end then maybe others will follow.
Debbie