Being a childminder, will it affect my child?

Old May 26th 06, 02:08 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Being a childminder, will it affect my child?

I am considering becoming a childminder but I am worried of the impact
on my child as he grows up. Will he think he has to share his mummy? Or
being an only child will the company do him good?

Thanks.

Old May 26th 06, 03:31 PM posted to misc.kids

You mean like daycare? From the yahoo roup I am in it looks like kids adapt
well to their moms doing daycare. I am in 2 daycare groups because they
have the best ideas for preschool curriculum.

Tori
ups.com...

Old May 26th 06, 08:05 PM posted to misc.kids

My son is almost 4 and I have been doing childcare in my home since he
was 15 moths old. It enables me financially to be home with him. I
don't make nearly what I did when I worked outside the home until he
was a year old, but I make enough, along with my husband's income, that
we get by. Definitely there are some challenges for me and for him,
balancing being/sharing a mommy and a home childcare, but I think the
good outweighs the challenging. My son is even better than most of the
other kids at sharing and taking turns. He has me with him every day
(and I have him!) I try to keep as much of a family atmosphere as
possible fo the children in my care. I only have a total of 3,
occasionally 4 children (including my son) at any one time. I try to
give a lot of individual attention, cuddle time, etc., to each of the
children, including my son. Actually, one of the children gets even
more jealous of my cuddling other children than my son does! I would
say that if you are going to do childcare, the younger your child is
when you start, the better. My son doesn't really remember not having
other children around. I don't think he has any more problems sharing
me than any child has sharing mommy with siblings. I think he gets
some of the benefits of having "siblings" without having to share me on
weekends, etc. He actually asks for the other children sometimes when
we have a long weekend, etc.

I really love doing home childcare. It is a lot of work, the pay is
not as a reliable as when you work for someone else in a slaried job,
but there are many intangible rewards.

If you do decide to do this, I wish you all the best! Please feel free
to email me if you have any more questions, at:

Therese