They can afford televisions, but . . .

Old September 16th 03, 06:28 AM
dragonlady

Default They can afford televisions, but . . .

This is just too wierd to be made up.

According to an AP report, due to lack of funds, students must pledge to
televised flag.

*
ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Unable to buy enough real flags for the new school
year, Central High has taken to showing an image of the American flag on
classroom TVs while students make the pledge.

A new state law requires school children to say the pledge at least once
a week, and the school simply doesn't have enough flags for that.

Old September 16th 03, 07:08 AM
Joni Rathbun

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, dragonlady wrote:

This is just too wierd to be made up.

According to an AP report, due to lack of funds, students must pledge to
televised flag.

I realized the other day that I'm always looking at the clock during the
Pledge. Well, I'm not really looking. I think "glassy eyed" would better
describe me during this required morning ritual. But for some reason,
I'm always pointed to the right of the flag and toward the clock.

Old September 16th 03, 07:09 AM
Joni Rathbun

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, dragonlady wrote:

This is just too wierd to be made up.

According to an AP report, due to lack of funds, students must pledge to
televised flag.

Maybe their television system was provided by Channel One.

Old September 16th 03, 07:30 AM
P. Tierney

"Joni Rathbun" wrote in message

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, dragonlady wrote:

This is just too wierd to be made up.

According to an AP report, due to lack of funds, students must pledge to
televised flag.

I realized the other day that I'm always looking at the clock during the
Pledge. Well, I'm not really looking. I think "glassy eyed" would better
describe me during this required morning ritual. But for some reason,
I'm always pointed to the right of the flag and toward the clock.

Something happened to the one in my classroom. I forget what.
Anyway, some ROTC student stuck one of those little hand-waving
flags in the corner of my room, hung with Scotch tape, and that's
what I had for the last three years of my teaching stint.

But at the start of the year, I didn't look at that flag, or the flag on
the TV (when it worked). I prefered to look at the faces of the new
students as they looked at the dinky flag, then back at me as if saying,
"That's all you've got?" I just shrugged.

P.
Tierney

Old September 16th 03, 11:02 AM
just me

"dragonlady" wrote in message
This is just too wierd to be made up.

According to an AP report, due to lack of funds, students must pledge to
televised flag.

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Unable to buy enough real flags for the new school
year, Central High has taken to showing an image of the American flag on
classroom TVs while students make the pledge.

A new state law requires school children to say the pledge at least once
a week, and the school simply doesn't have enough flags for that.

Local tv news recently reported that at least one school district around
here can't afford flags either and cancelled an order due to that. I don't
know if they have tvs in the classrooms as the school district is half way
across the state. It made me wonder how many other schools are facing that
situation as well, while also dealing with mandated class sizes and related
construction and staff increase costs.

-Aula

Old September 16th 03, 12:25 PM
Banty

In article , Joni
Rathbun says...

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, dragonlady wrote:

This is just too wierd to be made up.

According to an AP report, due to lack of funds, students must pledge to
televised flag.

Maybe their television system was provided by Channel One.

They're looking at a webcast on the computers generously provided by Apple or
Dell to classrooms for free!

Banty (grinning, ducking, running...)

Old September 16th 03, 01:20 PM
toto

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:28:58 GMT, dragonlady
wrote:

This is just too wierd to be made up.

According to an AP report, due to lack of funds, students must pledge to
televised flag.

*
ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Unable to buy enough real flags for the new school
year, Central High has taken to showing an image of the American flag on
classroom TVs while students make the pledge.

A new state law requires school children to say the pledge at least once
a week, and the school simply doesn't have enough flags for that.

Per your subject header, they probably did not buy the televisions,
those were undoubtedly provided free by Channel one when they
agreed to have the kids watch the *commercials* in exchange for
the equipment.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old September 16th 03, 02:18 PM
Herself

dragonlady wrote:

This is just too wierd to be made up.

According to an AP report, due to lack of funds, students must pledge to
televised flag.

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Unable to buy enough real flags for the new school
year, Central High has taken to showing an image of the American flag on
classroom TVs while students make the pledge.

A new state law requires school children to say the pledge at least once
a week, and the school simply doesn't have enough flags for that.

One of the high schools I went to didn't have flags in the rooms (and
this was 15 years ago), but we had an internal tv system. Morning news
would be read by students (and produced by students), and we would say
the pledge during that...I guess it was during homeroom. And this was
an experimental school when it opened, I think in the early 70's.
They'd been doing it that way ever since.
--
Meself
sahm, bf mom to P, 23/12/01

Old September 16th 03, 08:15 PM
Welches

dragonlady wrote in message
This is just too wierd to be made up.

According to an AP report, due to lack of funds, students must pledge to
televised flag.

Surely the children could paint one if it's that necessary. Personally I
think saying the pledge sounds very cringy. Why should they need a flag,
televised or otherwise?

As an aside: me and dh were wondering whether you can withdraw your child
from saying it, like you could if it was religious? (I know nothing about
it)

Debbie