Wake an almost-3 month old to eat?

Old November 29th 03, 12:14 AM
Cheryl S.

Default Wake an almost-3 month old to eat?

DS seems to be eating a lot less often all of a sudden. I know, he's
*supposed* to space feedings out more as he gets older, but I'm his mom,
so of course I'm worried lol. I felt a bit too "full" a few times over
the past couple days but didn't get all the way engorged before he ate
again, and after he ate they were soft again. I know getting engorged
too much can lessen my supply, but does it sound like I need to worry
about that? He's got enough wet and poopy diapers, yadda yadda yadda,
so should I just let him sleep as much as he wants during the day? He's
been sleeping pretty well at night; he can sleep from 10:00 pm to 8:30
am with only one feed at around 4:00 am.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 7 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old November 29th 03, 01:01 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Cheryl S. wrote:

DS seems to be eating a lot less often all of a sudden.

My vote is that he's just passed through a growth spurt,
built up your supply, and is now getting more at each
nursing. So he doesn't need to nurse as often, and your
breasts are still in overdrive from him nursing all the time
during the spurt. We had a couple of days like that at the
same age, too.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old November 29th 03, 01:54 AM
Cheryl S.

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
My vote is that he's just passed through a growth spurt,
built up your supply, and is now getting more at each
nursing. So he doesn't need to nurse as often, and your
breasts are still in overdrive from him nursing all the time
during the spurt. We had a couple of days like that at the
same age, too.

Thanks Phoebe. This makes sense to me - it's just more reassuring
coming from someone else. ;-) He was up every two hours at night last
weekend but I thought that was because he would only eat on one side
then (he's getting better about that BTW). A one-sided growth spurt?
My supply certainly did increase on the right, and probably stayed about
the same on the left.

Old November 29th 03, 06:41 AM
Larry McMahan

Cheryl S. writes:
: DS seems to be eating a lot less often all of a sudden. I know, he's
: *supposed* to space feedings out more as he gets older, but I'm his mom,
: so of course I'm worried lol. I felt a bit too "full" a few times over
: the past couple days but didn't get all the way engorged before he ate
: again, and after he ate they were soft again. I know getting engorged
: too much can lessen my supply, but does it sound like I need to worry
: about that? He's got enough wet and poopy diapers, yadda yadda yadda,
: so should I just let him sleep as much as he wants during the day? He's
: been sleeping pretty well at night; he can sleep from 10:00 pm to 8:30
: am with only one feed at around 4:00 am.
: --
: Cheryl S.

Sleep now. See my other posts. In another month or so he will be
waking to eat several times a night and this will go on until (at
least) 10 months. Sleep now.

:-)
Larry
Old November 29th 03, 01:27 PM
Cheryl S.

"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
Sleep now. See my other posts. In another month or
so he will be waking to eat several times a night and this
will go on until (at least) 10 months. Sleep now.

:-)

Thanks, (I think Larry.

Old November 29th 03, 10:03 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Cheryl S. wrote:

DS seems to be eating a lot less often all of a sudden. I know, he's
*supposed* to space feedings out more as he gets older, but I'm his mom,
so of course I'm worried lol. I felt a bit too "full" a few times over
the past couple days but didn't get all the way engorged before he ate
again, and after he ate they were soft again. I know getting engorged
too much can lessen my supply, but does it sound like I need to worry
about that? He's got enough wet and poopy diapers, yadda yadda yadda,
so should I just let him sleep as much as he wants during the day? He's
been sleeping pretty well at night; he can sleep from 10:00 pm to 8:30
am with only one feed at around 4:00 am.

NEVER wake a sleeping baby (especially one that sleeps from 10pm to 4am)
to nurse if he has the wet and poopy diapers.

The only time you might want to wake the baby during the day is if the
daytime sleeping interferes with the nighttime sleeping.

Jeanne (whose 6 month old STILL wakes up every three hours)