AK: Prosecutor's child support force nabs first 'deadbeat'

Old February 6th 05, 02:44 AM
Dusty

Default AK: Prosecutor's child support force nabs first 'deadbeat'

Prosecutor's child support force nabs first 'deadbeat'

http://www.bentoncourier.com/article...ws/17bnews.txt

By Jillian McGehee Fry
Courier Staff
The first arrest was made Thursday under Prosecuting Attorney Robert
Herzfeld's 2-month-old Child Support Task Force.

Benjamin Crutchfield, 41, was arrested on a felony nonsupport warrant in
connection with child support owed for his three children in the amount of
$17,904.79.

Crutchfield has, Herzfeld said, failed to provide support ordered in initial
support order of Saline County Circuit Court in the amount of $400 per month
plus and additional $80 per month toward a previous judgment for arrears.
Crutchfield was one of the initial group of offenders selected by Herzfeld
for potential prosecution when the task force was formed in December.

Crutchfield and the other alleged offenders were notified by letter dated
Dec. 3, that they were targets of the task force. Also in the letter, the
alleged offenders were told of the amount they owed and were directed to
make arrangements with the Office of Child Support Enforcement within 30
days for a lump sum payment and to make monthly payments to avoid criminal
charges.

Crutchfield did not comply and a warrant was issued for his arrest on Jan.
14, 2005, Herzfeld said.

Herzfeld said he is pleased with the early results.

"We're just getting warmed up. The time limit on our first batch of targets
has just expired, so we're taking aggressive action to bring criminal
charges against those who have failed to cooperate.

"This is just the first arrest of many. Obviously, we're trying to send a
strong message to deadbeat parents that they should take action quickly to
come into compliance. If they don't - they may be next on my list."

Herzfeld announced active warrants for five other alleged offenders, and is
offering up to a $100 reward for information leading to the arrest and
conviction of each person listed below:

? Jerry Danner, 37, 1611 Dixie St., Benton, $17,638, 27, Class C felony;

? Thomas Wilmoth, 48, 8160 Congo Road, Benton, $16,277.47, Class C felony;

? Keith Mize, 28, 907 West 43rd St., North Little Rock, $8,363.32, Class D
felony;

? Ricky Threlkeld, 41, 124 West Drive, Benton, $16,247.35, Class C felony;

? Louie Crook Jr., 41, 2708 Birch St., Benton, $23,556.68, Class C felony.

Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of any of the individuals
should contact Prosecuting Attorney Robert Herzfeld's office at 315-7767 and
ask for deputy prosecutor Emily White or investigator Judy Pridgen.

"The most terrifying words in the English language a
I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
--- Ronald Reagan

Old February 6th 05, 06:13 PM

"Dusty" wrote in

Crutchfield has, Herzfeld said, failed to provide support ordered in
initial
support order of Saline County Circuit Court in the amount of $400 per
month
plus and additional $80 per month toward a previous judgment for arrears.

Yes I agree that it's a moral obligation to try support your kids, but when
you're living from pay check to pay and just don't have the money, who says
the government has the right to step in and use our prison system as a means
of forcing it's citizens to obey their will?

Herzfeld said he is pleased with the early results.

"We're just getting warmed up. The time limit on our first batch of
targets
has just expired, so we're taking aggressive action to bring criminal
charges against those who have failed to cooperate.

Yes. Mr. Herzfeld is a real hero, solving the poverty problem with tax
payer's dollars!
He's just another politician jumping on the band wagon to look forward to a
nice fat retirement plan.

Old February 8th 05, 11:42 AM
Rog'

"G" wrote...
Yes I agree that it's a moral obligation to try support your kids,
but when you're living from pay check to pay and just don't
have the money, who says the government has the right to step
in and use our prison system as a means of forcing it's citizens
to obey their will?

The judge does. This means that your CS comes b4 cable TV
or a TV for that matter, a nice shiny car or even a car, dining out,
trips anywhere esp. the mall, lotto tickets, leather jackets, a GF,
etc. A lot of guys don't get that. You might notice that the guys
he's going after are ones who have ignored appearance notices.
Its a willful failure to obey a court order that lands you in jail, so
they still get a chance to explain why they haven't paid a dime in
'x' number of years.

I sympathize with those who struggle to make ends meet, live at
a poverty level, who are always in hot water 'cuz they pay a little
but not quite enuff, who come to court and try to deal with it, vs.
those who simply disappear and think that their kids will do just
fine without them, paying maybe $100 in the span of six years or
so. I have no problem with hounding the latter. -R-
for court every 4-6 months or so