Bill Cosby - NAACP leaders stunned by remarks of prominent comedian

Old May 22nd 04, 11:20 AM
Christopher Weeks

Holger Dansk wrote:

You probably don't realize that there is a correct way to do everything.

I sure don't. I'm confused about the "correct" way to sit, for
instance. I sort of figure that if your butt is on a chair, bench,
couch, the ground, the back of a car, the edge of a table, etc. and your
weight is mainly supported by that butt, allowing your legs and feet to
rest, then you're sitting correctly. Right?

What does it even mean to sit incorrectly?

Chris

Old May 22nd 04, 12:27 PM
Donna Metler

I teach in the inner city. And I've heard a lot of very educated people who
can slide back and forth between the local dialect and more formal speech.
Heck, after 7 years, I can do it. So can my students. Dialect and slang is
as much a way of shutting the outside world out as anything else. IOW, they
don't particularly WANT to be understood by people who don't make an effort
to understand them. Same with any other subgroup.

I strongly suggest reading Ruby Payne. She's researched generational poverty
and the social/familial situation around it. A great deal of the things you
seem to be objecting to are features of that particular ses group, not a
specific racial group. Middle class people do not have the same mentalities
and behaviors that the very wealthy culture does (and it takes significant
work for someone who develops wealth later to "fit in" with this culture).
The same holds in generational poverty vs. generational middle class
behaviors.

Old May 22nd 04, 01:24 PM

Donna Metler wrote:

I teach in the inner city. And I've heard a lot of very educated people who
can slide back and forth between the local dialect and more formal speech.
Heck, after 7 years, I can do it. So can my students. Dialect and slang is
as much a way of shutting the outside world out as anything else. IOW, they
don't particularly WANT to be understood by people who don't make an effort
to understand them. Same with any other subgroup.

A characteristic of the IQ-75z is an inability to grazp the causez
of their problemz. Why would a group, that'z alwayz screaming
about being excluded, intentionally want to "shut out the outside
world" (your wordz) ??

A group that wants to be accepted should be trying to *minimize* the
cultural differences. This warped IQ-75_Mindset is responsible for
all the organizations (Black Student Union, Black this, black that, etc)
emphasizing that DAFNz are *different*. Absolutely the wrong approach
for acceptance...
Old May 22nd 04, 01:32 PM
Holger Dansk

On Sat, 22 May 2004 10:20:33 GMT, Christopher Weeks
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:

You probably don't realize that there is a correct way to do everything.

I sure don't. I'm confused about the "correct" way to sit, for
instance. I sort of figure that if your butt is on a chair, bench,
couch, the ground, the back of a car, the edge of a table, etc. and your
weight is mainly supported by that butt, allowing your legs and feet to
rest, then you're sitting correctly. Right?

What does it even mean to sit incorrectly?

Slouching is very incorrect. It means to walk, stand, or sit with a
slouch. A slouch is a loose or drooping gait or posture. It's usually
indicative of a lazy or incompetent person, who, by the way, may be
called a slouch.

Chris

Holger

http://www.mindspring.com/~holger1/holger1.htm
Old May 22nd 04, 01:40 PM
Holger Dansk

On Sat, 22 May 2004 06:27:29 -0500, "Donna Metler"
wrote:

[...]

I can speak incorrectly too. Anyone can. The idea is to speak
correctly.

Below is your post done incorrectly.

I teach in de inna' city. Slap mah fro! And I've heard some lot uh very
educated sucka's who can slide back and fo'd between de local dialect
and mo'e fo'mal speech. Lop some boogie. Heck, afta' 7 years, ah' can do
it. Man! So's can mah' students. Dialect and slang is as much some way
uh shuttin' de outside wo'ld out as nuthin else. IOW, dey duzn't
particularly WANT t'be understood by sucka's who duzn't make an effo't
to dig it dem. WORD! Same wid any oda' subgroup. Jes hang loose, brud. I
strongly suggest eyeballin' Ruby Payne. She's researched generashunal
poverty and da damn social/familial situashun around it. Man! A great
deal uh de doodads ya' seem t'be objectin' t'are features uh dat
particular ses group, not a specific racial group. Jes hang loose, brud.
Middle class sucka's do not gots de same mentalities and behavio's dat
da damn very wealdy culture duz (and it snatch'd significant wo'k fo'
some sucka who develops weald lata' to "fit in" wid dis culture). De
same holds in generashunal poverty vs. generashunal middle class
behavio's.

Old May 22nd 04, 01:42 PM
Holger Dansk

On Sat, 22 May 2004 10:11:15 GMT, Christopher Weeks
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:

[Blacks] don't understand that they should value
education and speaking, walking, sitting, etc., correctly.

Are you serious? Do the rest of us all think this is hilarious, or is
it just me?

That's the truth. Just ask Bill Cosby.

Old May 22nd 04, 01:50 PM
Fletch F. Fletch

and many do not and/or can not speak English.

They do. But they don't speak your dialect. Nor do you speak the
Queen's dialect, and I'm sure that there are British people who look
down their nose at you for that fault.

But those British people do not sit in nearly all of the seats of power in
this country, so there is no consequence other than the disdain of a few
Brits. The consequence of speaking only ebonics is *obvious*. I'd fall off
my damn chair if I ever heard a Supreme Court Justice or a Cabinet
Secretary, etc. speaking ebonics and so would you I presume.

Slainte,
Fletch

Old May 22nd 04, 01:51 PM
Holger Dansk

On Sat, 22 May 2004 09:20:41 GMT, (TheNIGHTCRAWLER)

I found Cosby just out there telling it like it is. Fringe people with an
agenda look for something deeper. Good money in that.

You can always find something if you look hard enough, BTW.

Screw the link, you have to have a user account.

Here is what Cosby said:

Cosby, Saying the Darndest Things

• Bill Cosby was anything but politically correct in his remarks Monday
night at a Constitution Hall bash commemorating the 50th anniversary of
the Brown v. Board of Education decision. To astonishment, laughter and
applause, Cosby mocked everything from urban fashion to black spending
and speaking habits.

Bill Cosby, ready to let off steam. (Lawrence Jackson - AP)

"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up
their end in this deal," he declared. "These people are not parenting.
They are buying things for kids -- $500 sneakers for what? And won't
spend $200 for 'Hooked on Phonics.' . . .

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English," he
exclaimed. "I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you
ain't,' 'Where you is' . . . And I blamed the kid until I heard the
mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. . . . Everybody knows
it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. . . . You
can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

The Post's Hamil Harris reports that Cosby also turned his wrath to "the
incarcerated," saying: "These are not political criminals. These are
people going around stealing Coca-Cola. People getting shot in the back
of the head over a piece of pound cake and then we run out and we are
outraged, [saying] 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was
he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

When Cosby finally concluded, Howard University President H. Patrick
Swygert, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume and NAACP legal defense fund head
Theodore Shaw came to the podium looking stone-faced. Shaw told the
crowd that most people on welfare are not African American, and many of
the problems his organization has addressed in the black community were
not self-inflicted.

The link works fine for me. It's:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004May18.html

Scroll down to Cosby.

Holger

I'm fed up with that BS of tracking what people will click on like candy vs a healthy meal.

Tracking what people click on does nothing and generally degenerates society as
a whole in my current experience.

You will look at 15 shiny things and take a close look at one and there is no
way on the web to distinguish between the two.

It's why TV looks the way it does as databases track what people find
fascinating as it is so different.

People are attracted to extremes as being an oddity and maybe there is a reason
for being odd. ARRRGH. Ahem.

NC

http://www.mindspring.com/~holger1/holger1.htm
Old May 22nd 04, 01:54 PM
Fletch F. Fletch

Christopher Weeks wrote:
Holger Dansk wrote:

You probably don't realize that there is a correct way to do
everything.

I sure don't. I'm confused about the "correct" way to sit, for
instance. I sort of figure that if your butt is on a chair, bench,
couch, the ground, the back of a car, the edge of a table, etc. and
your weight is mainly supported by that butt, allowing your legs and
feet to rest, then you're sitting correctly. Right?

What does it even mean to sit incorrectly?

Chris

It means to sit in a way that leads to injury, short term or long term,
through falling or improper body posture. It means to sit in a way such
that you damage things. There is also a correct way to look at a monitor
and type while you are sitting correctly. Set that up wrong and work at a
computer for a few years. You'll find what incorrect means.

Slainte,
Fletch