Bill Cosby - NAACP leaders stunned by remarks of prominent comedian

Old May 29th 04, 12:47 AM
Bob LeChevalier

"Jasper PNL Mfg Co, LTD" wrote:
"Bob LeChevalier" wrote in message
.. .
"Jasper PNL Mfg Co, LTD" wrote:
"Bob LeChevalier" wrote in message
.. .
(Herman Rubin) wrote:
As little as possible, and they were explicitly forbidden by law to
teach them.

They were explicitly forbidden by law in some places to
teach them to read and write, but there had to be a fair
amount of vocal communication.

Not necessarily between master and slave, except perhaps the house
slaves.

Were slaves doing cooking forbidden to read recipes?

Why would they have written recipes?

where's the proof that they did not ?

If they were given written recipes, that would be tacit admission of a
crime, specifically teaching them to read.

'some places'

do you have proof that there were NO written recipes in ANY location ?

if not, your arguement is flawed

Why would I need to prove that? There weren't slaves in every
household, so it wouldn't be relevant.

The original claim was that there had to be a lot of communication
between master and slave, but except for the house slaves, that was
probably not true, certainly not enough information to serve as a
language model (not that an uneducated Southern white necessarily had
any more cultured pronunciation than the slaves).

I am sure that a small number of black slaves learned to read even
though it was against the law. That would not negate the claim that
blacks had insufficient access to any sort of education that would
cause them to acquire native fluency in educated English.

lojbab
--
lojbab

Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group
(Opinions are my own; I do not speak for the organization.)
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban:
http://www.lojban.org
Old May 29th 04, 01:27 AM
R. Steve Walz

greccogirl wrote:

Oh I see. You're guessing again. Thanks.

------------------------
Nah, it's a certainty, it's just that the primary duty of an abuser
is to cowe his victims out of reporting it.
Steve

R. Steve Walz wrote:

greccogirl wrote:

Hi Steve,

I just skimmed this because I've already read about Cosby's comments,
but I'm curious, just how do you know Cosby's kids hate him? Are
you a close personal friend, or are you assuming?

---------------------------
No one has to be to know that. It's obvious from his demeanor, he's
a control freak and a guilting shamer. If they don't admit to hating
him, then they are damaged and neurotic and their lives are crap.
Steve

R. Steve Walz wrote:

I think Cosby would tell you that they probably don't even know what
good parenting is.

Holger

------------------
Cosby is so hated by his own children that they'd tell you he doesn't.
Steve

Old May 29th 04, 01:32 AM
R. Steve Walz

Herman Rubin wrote:

In article ,
Bob LeChevalier wrote:
(Herman Rubin) wrote:
It's the black people who do not pronounce it
right after hundreds of years being in contact with it.

No black person has had hundred of years being in contact with it.

Neither has any white person hundreds of years in contact
with it.

No claim was made about white people. I am pointing out how silly his
claim is.

Slavery was ended roughly a half century before
my parents came in contact with English, and what do you
think the slave owners spoke to their slaves?

As little as possible, and they were explicitly forbidden by law to
teach them.

They were explicitly forbidden by law in some places to
teach them to read and write, but there had to be a fair
amount of vocal communication. Were slaves doing cooking
forbidden to read recipes?

---------------------
Actually, yes.
Slaves with reading material of any kind could be
whipped or killed.
Steve
Old May 29th 04, 01:53 AM
R. Steve Walz

Holger Dansk wrote:

On Fri, 28 May 2004 01:13:04 GMT, "R. Steve Walz"
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:59:19 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

But it would be wrong. And even "disrespect" does not successful
convey the utter contempt that they (and I) feel for racists like you.

You have to earn respect

-----------------
Nope, everyone deserves it gratis. If it's not given by someone,
then the reasons WHY exist and MUST BE EXAMINED! And blacks find
NOTHING *WORTH* respecting in this country!!

Well, at the risk of sounding trite, they can always go back to you know
where.

-----------
You mean where they were kidnapped? THAT crime gives them MORE claim
to this country than WE have!

But I wouldn't advise it. The blacks in Africa live terrible
lives.

------------
By no means all of them.

It's important that you respect yourself, and you will not do that
sitting on the curb all day saying "muhfugger" and "racist".

----------------
Actually, if you perceive that the degradation of your life and
livelihood is caused by mother****ing racists, then yes, it can
indeed restore much of your inculcuated depression produced by
racists who have systematically degraded you. If you believe that
you have been assaulted, instead of just believing what your
assailants told you abiout yourself, then yes, it can indeed
improved your self-esteem, and quite properly so!!

You have
to get off your ass and really strive to improve yourself.

----------------
There is no such thing as "Free Will". People do what they believe
they must do, which is mostly what they have been told they must
do. If you want someone to stop cussing you, you'd better stop
treating them in a manner that any behaviorist can tell you will
make them do that!!

and it's not done by poor language, making poor
grades, incorrect behavior, and the crimes that blacks commit, etc.

--------------------
They must be given what has to replace their business, the way they
survive, which may seem like crime. AND THEY MUST BE GIVEN IT BEFORE
BEING EXPECTED TO RELINQUISH THE OTHER!!! People have to EAT!! Most
dope dealers SUPPORT THEIR FAMILIES!! Disrespect for people who want
their family to go hungry is NATURAL!!

Not anyone wants your family to go hungry.

-----------------
Don't pretend a polite lie!!
The rich would much rather go on six to eight vacations a year than
for their renters to eat properly and have a decent life. They try
to justify this by claiming that everyone decides their own fate,
when that is a ridiculous lie!

Like Bill Cosby says, it
would be great if you would help yourself to be better by speaking
correctly and not stealing and killing so much.

-------------------------------------
Like Bill Cosby LIEs, you mean. If he actually believes such things
after all the education he is supposed to have had, then he was a
really ****ty student who didn't pay much attention, and if he does
not then he is a damned liar fueled by political prejudice, ambition,
and the criminal urge to justify his own wealth in a cowardly manner.

ANYONE who EVER took a couple decent philosophy courses KNOWS that
Determinism is the most legitimate view of causation, no matter how
much it seems to violate the preferred popularized American Myth of
Self-Determination that is merely promoted by the wealthy as an effort
to shame the poor for their own fate so they won't gang up on them and
kill them all!

And ANYONE who has had a chemistry class or a science class knows
that the universe runs on cause and effect, and that what happens
inside your skull is every bit as determined by physical laws and
physics as any other experimental milieu in science, and that brain
chemistry is NOT ruled by our notions in some fanciful image of over-
riding "self-control", but rather instead the determinate chemistry
PRODUCES those notions and motivations.

Cosby is supposed a Ph Ed, which means he has supposedly had a LOT
of philosophy and sociology, so either he was a ****ty student, or
he is a liar!

and
then to idiotically say that all of the wrong things that you do is a
way of thumbing your nose at white people is irrational and indicative
of a sick mind.
Holger

-------------------------
YOU and YOUR FAILURE to grasp what happens and why is what is
indicative of YOUR mental sickness, it is called RACISM!!

See, it's an obsession with you, and you had better do something about
it. When you say your prayers at night do you say, "God protect me from
the racist."?

No, I say, God, please kill all the racists. You see, I'm not black.

Seriously, that kind of obsession can put you in a mental hospital.
Holger

Only if you're black. Such an obsession comes a life of actually
experiencing actual racism!
Steve