Bill Cosby - NAACP leaders stunned by remarks of prominent comedian

Old June 9th 04, 08:56 PM
toto

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:17:07 GMT, Holger Dansk
wrote:

"This" is the subject and "has been" is the verb. They agree very well.

Sorry. It should be These have been tough weeks. Or This has been
a tough week. I mispoke what the error actually was.

Normally, that's what would be correct. However, it depends on what
"this" is. If he is referring to moral or something like that you might
say "this" has been (caused by) tough weeks.

Not if you speak *excellent English.* You cannot leave out the words
caused by and have a correct English sentence.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 9th 04, 08:58 PM
toto

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:17:07 GMT, Holger Dansk
wrote:

"Recession means that people's incomes, at the employer
level, are going down, basically, relative to costs, people
are getting laid off."
—George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Feb. 19, 2004

(the employer level? - does he mean that employer's
incomes are going down

Yes, what else could "at the employer level" mean?

or that people who work *for* employers have less income
and, what income, if they are laid off?)

The reason that they (employer level people) are being laid off is
"relative to costs".

They are not *employer level people* though. Employees are
*not* employers (unless they are working for themselves)

I think he just meant that employer's incomes were going down, and maybe
top management.

That may be what he meant, but it is *not* what the sentence says.

He does not (in fact probably cannot) speak excellent English if
we have to translate his thoughts.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 9th 04, 09:08 PM
toto

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:21:00 GMT, Holger Dansk
wrote:

Close, but no cigar.

The proper statement is, "I pray every day there are fewer casualties."

That's fine.

Actually as someone else pointed out even this one is incorrect.

It should be "I pray every day that there will be fewer casualties."

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 9th 04, 09:28 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:57:16 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:
Holger Dansk wrote:
History makes very little reference to the slaves of the Greeks.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...greece+slavery

77,500 hits on ancient greece slavery.

Well, you probably didn't go to school, but, if you did, you would
probably see that, when you study Ancient Greek Civilization, very
little is said about slavery.

Actually, when my kids studied it in school, it WAS mentioned, which
is when I first recall hearing of it. (I don't much remember what I
studied in world history, but that was 40-odd years ago).

lojbab
--
lojbab
Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group
Old June 9th 04, 09:37 PM
Circe

Herman Rubin wrote:
In article ,
toto wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:28:05 GMT, Holger Dansk
wrote:

You proved my point. As far as you are concerned, all *white*
people speak good English, even when their English is atrocious
(aka GW Bush). Thank you for your honesty.

Just because Bush speaks excellent English does not mean all white
people do.

Bush doesn't speak excellent English though. He cannot pronounce
nuclear (neither could some other presidents). He uses incorrect
words. His tenses don't agree with the subjects or objects in his
sentences. Aside from that his words don't even make sense when
he speaks *off the cuff.*

Part of this is due to the educationists. When he went
to elementary and high school, grammar was considered to
be of little, if any, value. It still is, in many if not
most, schools. Even in older times, students learned
much of English grammar by taking grammar-oriented
foreign languages.

Ya know, I've heard this, but it's what people generally said about the
eductional system when *I* was going to grade school 30+ years ago. Bush is
a full generation older than I am and when people said the system was crummy
when I was in school, they were comparing it to the education provided
children just one generation earlier (i.e., when Bush was in school). On top
of that, I received an excellent education in grammar during a time when it
was supposedly virtually non-existent. So, either my education was a major
anomaly (which I doubt: there was nothing particularly special about the
public schools I attended) or this claim is a crock. I'm inclined to believe
the latter.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old June 9th 04, 09:38 PM
R. Steve Walz

Holger Dansk wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 07:28:05 -0500, toto wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:52:59 GMT, Holger Dansk
wrote:

Laborers can not run businesses. Do you really think that,
if all of the management left a general motors or Ford
plant, then the laborers could just take it over and run it?

Depends on the laborers.

Tthe oldest surviving worker-owned businesses of any size
in the United States, the plywood co-ops in the Pacific
Northwest, were purchased by their employees to avert
shutdowns beginning in the 1930s.

http://www.workerownership.org/history.html

The employees just own stock in the company. They do not manage it.

There are about 2500 majority employee-owned companies
in North America which employ more than 1.5 million workers.
While some 200 of these companies were bought to avert
shutdowns, the overwhelming majority…90% or more…have
been profitable plants or firms bought by employees from
retiring owners or from larger corporations divesting a plant
or division.

The workers just own stock in these companies. They do not manage them.

Publix is probably one of the largest employee owned grocery store in
the world, but the most of the employees do not operate or manage the
stores.

-------------------
Apparently you're under the delusion that it takes "owners" to properly
operate a grocery store, which only does light clerical and general
accounting ledger, accounts payable and reciveable and ordering and
which is all done by semi-skilled $10 an hour employees. MOST concerns
are composed entirely of those people, and only some of the time do
they need to hire specialized help, who are ALSO not rich owners!!

After you work about 6 weeks for Publix they start paying you
partly in Publix stock. These employees do not even attend
directors meetings.

---------------------
Irrelevant. They could, easily.

While these firms comprise only a tiny sector within the
overall economy of the United States and Canada, they
compete successfully with conventional companies in the
market economy. Participatory employee-owned firms
appear, in fact, to systematically outperform conventionally
owned companies. There is considerable evidence that
they have both higher rates of reinvestment than competitors,
and also higher rates of total employee compensation.

You have to be some kind of nut to think that the labor or hourly
workers in these companies manage them.

---------------------
They could, easily, if need be, they would merely need a few days
training from the other workers who do those jobs now.

This experience suggests three lessons:

1. Firms which are substantially employee owned, and
which involve their employees in decisions, systematically
outperform their conventional competitors.

That's because, like Publix giving better service to customers, the
employees want their stock to increase in value whereas Kroger has the
damn union.

-------------------------------
Union or employee ownership, they want their fair share of the procedes,
instead of handing them to RICH PARASITES WHO DIDN'T EVEN WORK FOR IT!

2. Employee ownership is part of a successful strategy
to anchor capital in high wage areas.
3. Employee-owned firms tend to secure jobs, both
because they prioritize jobs and because they appear to
have higher rates of reinvestment than comparable
conventional firms.

The keys to creating successful, democratic employee-owned
businesses include the structure of ownership of the firm, the
structure of worker participation in decision making, and the
provision of training so employees can take an informed role
as owners. Their consequence is the creation of a culture of
ownership in firms in which ordinary workers know they are
owners, benefit from ownership, are informed like owners,
have opportunities for input, and consequently, act like
owners.

The best of these firms are reinventing the way North America
does business in the globalized economy. They outperform
their conventionally owned competitors, while anchoring
capital and high-wage jobs in the community.

The farms in Africa that have been pillaged and the blacks killing the
owners, men women, and children, do not even exist after a very short
time because the laborers do not know anything about managing anything.
They couldn't even manage a lemonade stand.
Holger

---------------------
Total nonsense, these people have been trading at the local market
or bazaar for thousands of years.
Steve
Old June 9th 04, 09:39 PM
R. Steve Walz

Holger Dansk wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:29:19 GMT, "R. Steve Walz"
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:54:01 GMT, "Jasper PNL Mfg Co, LTD"
wrote:

"Holger Dansk" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:44:38 GMT, "R. Steve Walz"
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 01:03:11 GMT, "R. Steve Walz"
wrote:

Those people's labor for themselves would have done such incredible
good that it cannot even be fathomed.

They wouldn't know what to do. There would not be anyone to tell them
what to do.
-----------------
They knew what to do, they had been doing it FOR their masters for
ages.

Just like the black savages in Africa who have killed so many of the
white farm owners. They worked in the field on some of these farms,
but, after killing the boss, they don't know how to operate the farm so
it just becomes a wasteland or goes back to undeveloped land.

Holger
--------------------
Nonsense, the racist friends of white slavers who had worked the
blacks cut off the seed supply, and the republicans here decided
not to help them. Sort of: "If us rich white guys can't own it
all, then nobody can, even the people who deserve to!"

Hehehehehehehe. How ridiculous. Where did you get that clap trap?
That's really silly. Laborers can not run businesses. Do you really
think that, if all of the management left a general motors or Ford
plant, then the laborers could just take it over and run it?
Hehehehehehehehehe.

Get serious. :-)

Holger

-------------------
Your giggling evidences your nervousness about your ignorance on
this point!! Boy do YOU need to do some research, BECAUSE EXACTLY
THAT HAS HAPPENED A LOT! Go look-up "worker owned and operated"
on Google!

You don't understand what that means.
Holger

-----------------------
No. YOU mean YOU don't know!!
Steve
Old June 9th 04, 09:40 PM
toto

On 9 Jun 2004 14:40:36 -0500, (Herman
Rubin) wrote:

However, how do tenses agree with subjects or objects?
Persons and numbers do, and some other parts of speech,
but not tenses.

You are correct Herman. I need to proofread.

He consistently uses verbs that go with plural subjects
with singular subjects and vice versa.

Example:
"This has been tough weeks in that country."
—George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 13, 2004

The sentence should read:

This has been a tough week in that country
or
These have been tough weeks in that country.

Another:
"In my judgment, when the United States says there will
be serious consequences, and if there isn't serious
consequences, it creates adverse consequences."
—George W. Bush, Meet the Press, Feb. 8, 2004

The sentence should read:

In my judgement, when the United States says there
will be serious consequences and there are not serious
consequences, it creates adverse consequences.

The grammar change does not help his sentence
in terms of his thoughts though.

And another:

"Then you wake up at the high school level and find out
that the illiteracy level of our children are appalling."
—George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 2004

This should read:

Then you wake up at the high school level and find out
that the literacy level of our children is appalling.

Of course, that doesn't fix the idea of waking up *at the
high school level,* but it does fix the verb and subject
agreement.

His sentences are often total nonsense, not just gramatically
incorrect.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 9th 04, 09:41 PM
R. Steve Walz

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:

R. Steve Walz wrote:
Herman Rubin wrote:

In article ,
toto wrote:

Today, slavery avoids the lable by not asserting legal ownership
of the slaves, but millions of economically and socially vulnerable
people are potential slaves creating a surplus of slave labor.

This is the Marxist approach, also held by many others, that a
person is deserving of a "living wage" just by being there.

--------------------------------
No, they are not, which is why I'm NOT a Marxist.

I'm a Communist who thinks that we are owed our fair share of
control of the earth itself and of the wealth all of our species
has produced by the time of our birth, and that each of us must
be guaranteed a residence that is ours and our use of it is
unhindered as such for living by the People's Government.

However, to eat, we still have to show up for the work that we
authorize by our majority democracy in order to claim a share
of foodstuffs and consumable supplies and utilities, and also
that we must do yet MORE than the agreed "support" labor for
more consumer goods beyond our perishable food and household
supplies and utilities.

Interesting. Do you believe this can be accomplished on a large scale? Do
you think human nature will get in the way?
Fletch

No, *I* know it *IS* actual Human Nature!!
Steve