What solids? When? How much?

Old August 15th 03, 02:53 PM
Rob and Laura

Default What solids? When? How much?

Well let me give you an insite on what I did. I started Izabella at 5 months
on Cereral. I did Rice 2 teapoons 2 times a day, than once that box was
gone we did barley and than oatmeal. She has tried all step 1 cereal and
today went for her 6 month WBV!! He than told me its okay to start foods,
told me to start with say carrots and every 3-5 start a new veggie, and in
about 3-5 weeks after start fruits if I wanted to. So today she will start
carrots. He told me her meal plan should be cereal when we eat breakfast,
veggies for dinner and supper give her some more cereal!! So that is what we
are doing.

I did not find it usefull looking for stuff in books. Every baby is
different and if you try foods with them and they like it than great, and if
they dont try again next week or in a few days. Some people start at 3
months some alot later so it all depends on your baby! All we could do was
try with Izabella at 5 months, and she loved it so we continued it with her.
Now shes a happy breastfeed, cereal and soon to be veggie eating baby!!!!

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

"Wendy J." wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Can someone tell me if there are any good websites or books on
introducing solids. Dd is 4 months old and our pediatrician said that
I can introduce cereal IF I wanted to, but I think from reading this
ng I am going to wait another couple of months. The pediatrician said
to start giving cereal 2 times a day (1 ounce each feeding) for a
month when I feel it is time and then start on vegetables (1 new
vegetable every 3 days), then start fruit. Is this right? He also
told me not to both with meats for a while because she probably won't
eat them. So, when do they eat meats?

I would still like more information from other sources on what solids
to start with and how much and when. Also, when to introduce each new
food. What do I do if she doesn't like the food? Obviously, I can't
force her to eat something she doesn't like. Geez, I have so many
questions ... Do I breastfeed her first, then give her the solid food?

Sorry, for all the questions :-)

Wendy J.
Katie (4/13/03)

Old August 15th 03, 04:14 PM
Laura Faussone

"Wendy J." wrote:

Hi,

Can someone tell me if there are any good websites or books on
introducing solids. Dd is 4 months old and our pediatrician said that
I can introduce cereal IF I wanted to, but I think from reading this
ng I am going to wait another couple of months. The pediatrician said
to start giving cereal 2 times a day (1 ounce each feeding) for a
month when I feel it is time and then start on vegetables (1 new
vegetable every 3 days), then start fruit. Is this right? He also
told me not to both with meats for a while because she probably won't
eat them. So, when do they eat meats?

I started my first on solids sometime after 4 months, but I was lazy and
usually didn't feed her solids every day. I don't think it really matters
if you do fruits or vegetables first. I think I alternated them. I
started my second on solids closer to 6 months.
My ped said to wait until 9 months for meats, but I never bothered with
them, unless they happened to be in one of the Stage 3(?) meals. The
single ingredient meats seemed really disgusting :-P

I would still like more information from other sources on what solids
to start with and how much and when. Also, when to introduce each new
food. What do I do if she doesn't like the food? Obviously, I can't
force her to eat something she doesn't like. Geez, I have so many
questions ... Do I breastfeed her first, then give her the solid food?

If she doesn't like it, you can keep trying it at later dates, assuming
she doesn't have an allergic reaction to it.

Yes, BF first, then the solids. Food's mostly for fun at this point, not
nutrition.

Laura
Mom to Allison, 4, Sophia, 2, and Eddie, 3 mo

Old August 15th 03, 06:24 PM
calliaz

"Wendy J." wrote:

Hi,

Can someone tell me if there are any good websites or books on
introducing solids.

I like _Super Baby Foods_ for instructions on how to make
your own and freeze it, as well as for a guide as to what to
introduce when. I also like, _How to Get Your Child to Eat,
But Not Too Much_. It has less to do with the mechanics and
more discussion about how to present foods and to be
supportive while your child is learning to eat.

The pediatrician said
to start giving cereal 2 times a day (1 ounce each feeding) for a
month when I feel it is time and then start on vegetables (1 new
vegetable every 3 days), then start fruit. Is this right? He also
told me not to both with meats for a while because she probably won't
eat them. So, when do they eat meats?

I think that Sears' new book on feeding says that you don't
have to do veggies first--especially if you're
breastfeeding. He says that banannas and pears have the
same sweetness level as breastmilk.

I started with brown rice cereal first (organic without
soy). I moved pretty quickly on to avocado, which DS
loves. The third food we've started is sweet potato/yams.
I think we'll do bananas next. Carter eats about 2 tbs a
day at 5.5 months. However, he only will eat it at one
particular time of day. I'm pretty lax about the whole
thing and started slowly (not feeding every day).

I would still like more information from other sources on what solids
to start with and how much and when. Also, when to introduce each new
food.

Some of that your pediatrician can give you. However, I
just used the rough guidelines in _Super Baby Foods_ and
went from there.

What do I do if she doesn't like the food? Obviously, I can't
force her to eat something she doesn't like.

Don't force. Eating is just learning at this stage. You
may not even be able to tell if she doesn't like the food,
or if it's the texture, or if she's just playing. Go with
the flow and let her explore (this may mean letting her get
messy). She'll get all her nutrition from breastmilk still.

Geez, I have so many
questions ... Do I breastfeed her first, then give her the solid food?

I started off giving EBM in the bottle, but not a whole
feeding. Then I'd give solid food, then I'd finish the
bottle if DS was interested/still hungry. We can't nurse,
so I don't have experience with that, but I'd say to nurse
first in the beginning.

Jennifer in AZ
mom to Carter, 5.5 months

Starting solids Kereru General 19 February 5th 04 09:07 PM
starting solids question Kari General 5 January 27th 04 07:15 PM
15 Month refuses to drink anything (Eats solids fine) Nancy P General 1 August 29th 03 02:38 PM
Dealing with "mommy dearest" Ali's Daddie General 15 August 13th 03 08:59 PM
Solids; 4 months vs 6? Laurie General 9 August 12th 03 07:02 PM