Announcing....

Old November 24th 04, 02:03 AM
Cathy

Default Announcing....

....the rather unexpected arrival of my second daughter, on the 23rd. After
a busy day spent trying to tire DD out, and going to the funeral of my
friend's baby, I was feeling a bit spent. I had had twinges during the day,
but put it down to being busy. That evening, at 7pm, I was playing soccer
in the back yard with DD and the dog, and thought I had a contraction. Then
realised 10 mins later that I thought I was having another one. Really
slight twinges was all they were, so DD got put to bed as usual. Then DH
had to finalise plans for getting to SILs funeral. At 9pm I thought it was
polite to warn my midwife that I was having contractions, but things didn't
seem to be progressing. I also warned my mother, who was going to be DD's
support person, if she needed it.

At 10 pm I phoned my mother back to say that things were on, but I only
wanted her there if DD woke up. Contractions were irregular, between 5 and
10 mins apart, and also irregular in intensity. Poor DH was getting a bit
worried, as I didn't want to phone the midwife again, as things were so
irregular, and different to what they were with DD. Finally at midnight I
phoned Bev, my midwife, apologised, but said I was really having to
concentrate on contractions. She arrived about 1/2 an hour later, and I
really thought I'd made a mistake calling her. She said she'd stay half an
hour and see what was happening. And suddenly things changed. I have no
idea of timing, as I refused to look at a clock again, but the contractions
got more intense, and I filled a hot water bottle and used that around the
bottom of the bulge where the pain was most intense. Then I got sick of
standing, as I was tired, so I lay on the couch, and really concentrated
during each contraction, which still seemed a long way apart. However, then
I realised I was shaking, and felt like throwing up. I guessed this was
transition, and started preparing myself for having a baby! The next
contraction was intense, and I had to moan to get through it. Bev prepared
a bucket of hot water, and I off the couch on to all fours, leaning on the
couch for support. The next few contractions I had to moan, and the towels
were wonderful. Then I actually felt the urge to push! I didn't get this
with DD. It wasn't a strong urge though, so I warned Bev, and she told me
to wait till the urge was strong. She phoned the 2nd midwife around now - 2
am I read later in her notes. I tried to enjoy the contractions, as I knew a
baby was imminent. Then the urge got stronger, but I couldn't quite get it
right. I felt a slight burning, and then it relaxed, and I knew I was
moving the head each time, but not far enough. Again, I didn't experience
this with DD as I had lots of anasthetic gel applied abround my perineum
etc. And then finally the burning got more powerful, although I should say
it was more like stinging - a really neat sensation. The 2nd push like this,
and suddenly I was being told to pant. I found out later I had started
tearing, but the panting stopped it. Out came the head, I waited for the
next contraction, and out slithered the rest of the body. I turned around,
and saw a scrawny little girl, covered in vernix. I got off all fours, and
started sitting down, when I realised I had delivered the placenta. That
took my midwife by surprise, as I think it was quicker than my previous
delivery when I was given that drug!

It was all over by 2.30 am. I cuddled DH and the baby for a while, and
tried to feed her, but she wasn't intersted. So she was dressed and
measured (a whopping 6 lbs) and we tried to feed again. This was
unsuccessful, so she was given a ml or 2 of colostrum by syringe, I had a
shower, and we climbed in to bed at 5 am (only to have to get up at 5.15 to
comfort a screaming baby!).

Bev seemed to think that perhaps the baby was earlier than 2 weeks, as she
was behaving a bit prem. I finally got her on the breast that morning, and
again in the evening, with her being syringe fed in between. Hopefully now
things are on the improve, as she has had 3 breast feeds today, and no
syringe.

It was a wonderful experience having a home birth, and it has been great
watching DH and DD bond with the baby over the last few hours. We went out
visiting, and everyone ws stunned when they found out that she was less than
10 hours old, but my Nana is over 90, and I think her rest home deserved a
visit!

Today has been spent buying a few newborn size outfits, as I have nothing
that fits her. She seems a lot more content today - feeding and sleeping,
as well as actually opening her eyes, which she didn't do yesterday.

So thanks heaps to everyone for all the support shown here - I hope to check
in on a regular basis and see how people are, but that is likely to be
tricky till we get nursing 100% sorted.

Cathy
DD1 8 Jan 03
DD2 23 Nov 04 (homebirth)

Old November 24th 04, 05:10 AM
emilymr

Congratulations, Cathy!! It sounds like a beautiful birth, and how
comforting to have new life in the midst of your family's sadness. I'm
glad your Nana got to meet her great-grandbaby!!

Em

Old November 24th 04, 07:16 AM
Maggie

Cathy spake thusly
...the rather unexpected arrival of my second daughter, on the 23rd.

Many congrats, Cathy, and welcome to your wee babe!

--
Maggie
Old November 24th 04, 08:54 AM
Anne Rogers

Many congratulations.

Her behaviour sounds very much like my DS who was born at 37+4, early but
not too early, we had to do the whole syringe thing on day 1 as well.

Congratulations again,

Anne

Old November 24th 04, 10:38 AM
Chookie

Congratulations! What a great birth!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old November 24th 04, 12:35 PM
Mary W.

Cathy wrote:

...the rather unexpected arrival of my second daughter, on the 23rd.

Congrats, and welcome little girl! Great birth!

Mary

Old November 24th 04, 02:04 PM
michele

Congrats Cathy! Welcome to the world DD2!
What a truly wonderful birth story, a wonderful homebirth.!!!

lkaboutparenting.com...

Old November 24th 04, 02:17 PM
Rebecca Jo

"Cathy" wrote:

...the rather unexpected arrival of my second daughter, on the 23rd.
After

Congratulations!

Cathy
DD1 8 Jan 03
DD2 23 Nov 04 (homebirth)

Old November 24th 04, 02:18 PM
Zaz

Congratulations!

Announcing the STD Forum @ Med Help MHI Pregnancy 0 November 22nd 04 08:14 PM
Announcing a new fashion for your kid's sneakers! Jeff Cope General 5 October 13th 04 11:45 PM
Announcing and thank you Gorgon Park Pregnancy 12 October 23rd 03 07:22 PM
Announcing....... Carol Ann Pregnancy 18 October 3rd 03 06:41 PM
Announcing misc.kids.family-life just me General (moderated) 4 July 12th 03 07:20 PM