Recall: Playtex hip hammock

Old February 23rd 05, 05:31 PM
Mary W.

Default Recall: Playtex hip hammock

Crossposted....

NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs
Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 22,2005
Release # 05-117

Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 522-8230
CPSC Consumer Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

CPSC, Playtex Products Inc., Announce Recall of Hip Hammock Child
Carriers

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces
the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below.
Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless
otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Playtex Hip Hammock

Units: About 32,000

Manufacturer: Playtex Products Inc., of Westport, Conn.

Hazard: The shoulder strap support can detach from the hammock, posing a
fall hazard to the baby.

Incidents/Injuries: The company has received two reports of the shoulder
strap detaching from the infant carrier. No injuries have been reported.

"Playtex Hip Hammock," which is sewn into the front of the carrier. The
model number is sewn into the inside panel below the instructions for
use. The model numbers a

05300 - Basic Black Hip Hammock
05301 - Deluxe Black Hip Hammock
05302 - Deluxe Navy Blue Hip Hammock

Sold at: Juvenile product stores, discount stores nationwide, catalog
and internet sites from June 2004 through February 2005 for about $40
(Basic model) and $60 (Deluxe model).

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the carrier immediately and contact
Playtex Products Inc., for instructions on returning the carrier for a
replacement.

Consumer Contact: Consumers should contact Playtex Products Inc., at
(800) 522-8230 between 8:30 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.

To view a picture of this product on CPSC's web site, please go to:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05117.html
Old February 23rd 05, 05:56 PM
Nic H

THANKYOU! I have called and taken this off my order, babiesrus just had
it on sale and I HAD to have one! The new and improved hip hammock will
apparently be in stores (according to the guy I called on the 1800
number you provided) in 2-6 weeks.

Nic H

Old February 24th 05, 01:15 AM
Jenrose

Hazard: The shoulder strap support can detach from the hammock, posing a
fall hazard to the baby.

Simpler is better, IMO.

FWIW... most ring slings are more comfortable, and these days, about 95% of
the ring slings on the market from all sources are made with rings that have
been extensively tested for breakage. Maya Wrap, which had a recall a few
years back, now rigorously tests their rings. Most of the other companies
out there use Slingrings from www.slingrings.com. Slingrings are tested for
strength and durability and are just extraordinarily well-made. They do
nylon and aluminum rings...the aluminum are the same hardened aluminum used
for mountain-climbing gear--I think that all slingrings are capable of
supporting an *adult*, let alone a baby's weight.

Other great hip carry options includ pouches (no rings at all, usually no
adjustments, very unlikely to fail) and the mei hip carrier from
http://www.meihipcarrier.com/ .

All more comfy than a hip hammock for most people for hip carries.

Jenrose

Old February 24th 05, 01:55 AM
Nan

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:15:06 -0800, "Jenrose"
scribbled:

Other great hip carry options includ pouches (no rings at all, usually no
adjustments, very unlikely to fail) and the mei hip carrier from
http://www.meihipcarrier.com/ .

I'll endorse the mei :-) We have one and I love it. It's so easy to
use. I'm also getting a kozy when I can get my order placed from the
wait list.

Nan
Old February 24th 05, 02:33 AM
Jenrose

"Nan" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:15:06 -0800, "Jenrose"
scribbled:

Other great hip carry options includ pouches (no rings at all, usually no
adjustments, very unlikely to fail) and the mei hip carrier from
http://www.meihipcarrier.com/ .

I'll endorse the mei :-) We have one and I love it. It's so easy to
use. I'm also getting a kozy when I can get my order placed from the
wait list.

Do you have a mei hip or a mei tai? Kolomo has a neat looking mei tai that I
am hoping to try out soon, but the mei hip is a hybrid between a ring sling
and a mei tai, similar to Sara's Ride or other hip carriers, but far better
designed, IMO. Not as versatile as a mei tai, but better for hip carries.

Jenrose

Old February 24th 05, 03:10 AM
Nan

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:33:21 -0800, "Jenrose"
scribbled:

Do you have a mei hip or a mei tai? Kolomo has a neat looking mei tai that I
am hoping to try out soon, but the mei hip is a hybrid between a ring sling
and a mei tai, similar to Sara's Ride or other hip carriers, but far better
designed, IMO. Not as versatile as a mei tai, but better for hip carries.

I have the mei hip. I also have the maya, but got away from using
that when she got too big for the kangaroo carry. I never did get to
use the Bjorn, she got too big too darned fast ;-)

Nan
Old February 24th 05, 04:22 AM
Anne Rogers

Other great hip carry options includ pouches (no rings at all, usually no
adjustments, very unlikely to fail) and the mei hip carrier from
http://www.meihipcarrier.com/ .

Jenrose, I think I need to filter anything on baby wearing, yet another
carrier I would like to try...

Old February 24th 05, 08:20 AM
Jenrose

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

Other great hip carry options includ pouches (no rings at all, usually no
adjustments, very unlikely to fail) and the mei hip carrier from
http://www.meihipcarrier.com/ .

Jenrose, I think I need to filter anything on baby wearing, yet another
carrier I would like to try...

Either that or learn to sew!

It might surprise you to know that in my life, I've bought two carriers
"already made", ever, and neither time did I pay retail. The rest are
testers, gifts, or homemade.

Jenrose

Old February 24th 05, 08:52 AM
Anne Rogers

Jenrose, I think I need to filter anything on baby wearing, yet another
carrier I would like to try...

Either that or learn to sew!

It might surprise you to know that in my life, I've bought two carriers
"already made", ever, and neither time did I pay retail. The rest are
testers, gifts, or homemade.

actually we bought a simple front pack when DS was born, a cheap version of
a baby bjorn, we were less than happy with it, but I don't think it was the
carrier itself, just DS being too small! So I made a ring sling, which I've
loved, I almost certainly will make others, decided being in Korea I should
just buy a podegi, not make one, plus we bought a different back carrier
here (I've not seen this style anywhere else) which is sort of a slightly
structured version of the Asian baby carrier on rev jans site, which I love,
a carrier that lets you carry a 21 month old when 24 weeks pregnant deserves
a lot of love! So I will make more, I'm sure, I'm a pushchair hater, I'm
currently musing on how to wear a toddler on my back with a baby on my
front!

Anne

Old February 24th 05, 09:12 AM
Jenrose

currently musing on how to wear a toddler on my back with a baby on my
front!

Someone recently came up with a BRILLIANT modification of the Mei Tai--it's
called the Mei Tai Wrap Duo and you can see pictures of it in the photo
section of the yahoo group "babywearing".

It's basically a mei tai on the back, with a second set of stretchy, wide
straps for carrying a newborn/younger baby on front. Brilliant.

Jenrose