Review: Lipstick & Dynamite (** 1/2)

Old April 28th 05, 04:36 PM
Steve Rhodes

Default Review: Lipstick & Dynamite (** 1/2)

LIPSTICK & DYNAMITE, **** & VINEGAR: THE FIRST LADIES OF WRESTLING
A film review by Steve Rhodes

Copyright 2005 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****): ** 1/2

Looking like a bunch of what could only be called a bunch of tough old
broads, the octogenarian women in the documentary LIPSTICK & DYNAMITE, ****
& VINEGAR: THE FIRST LADIES OF WRESTLING were known as "girl wrestlers" back
in the 1950s. Moving up from their origins in the freak show area of
carnivals and fairs, these women became the first female wrestlers, a sport
which was originally banned in several large states, because the mere act of
one woman wrestling another was considered indecent.

LIPSTICK & DYNAMITE, a sometimes funny film, is never more than a collection
of small stories that do not amount to much or rise above the level of a
small soap opera, as we hear about promoters and husbands sleeping around.
Easily the best part of the picture is the old television quiz shows
("What's My Life?" and "To Tell the Truth"), which feature girl wrestlers
who appear to stump the stars.

Although we come to admire these women's outspoken behavior and their
bravado, the interviews never have much of a spark. Most of what we learn --
the promoters decide who will win each match, and they take fifty percent of
the profits -- could easily be guessed. Although not a bad movie, LIPSTICK &
DYNAMITE makes you think of similar but better films, including BEYOND THE
MAT, a hard-hitting exposé of the world of pro wrestling, and DOUBLE DARE,
an insightful and marvelously entertaining look at the entire history of
female stunt people. The latter movie, since the subject matter is so
similar, shows you how good LIPSTICK & DYNAMITE could and should have been.

LIPSTICK & DYNAMITE, **** & VINEGAR: THE FIRST LADIES OF WRESTLING runs too
long even at just 1:15. It is not rated but would be PG-13 for sport
violence and brief strong language and would be acceptable for kids around
11 and up.

The movie was shown recently at the Camera Cinema Club
(http://www.cameracinemas.com) of Campbell and San Jose.

Web: http://www.InternetReviews.com

Email:

Want free reviews and weekly movie and video recommendations via Email?

Just send me a letter with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.