How long in the hospital?

Old December 2nd 05, 12:13 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default How long in the hospital?

For those of you who gave birth in hospitals: how long were you in the
hospital for? I was there for two days with my first, because I had a
fever (an infection from meconium). This time around I'd like to get out
of there ASAP. If it's a normal, healthy birth, with no complications
and no c-section, how long do people usually stay?

(I know people leave birth centers much earlier, and then of course
there are home births and front-seat-of-car births, but I'm most curious
about plain ol' vanilla hospital births.)
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006
Old December 2nd 05, 12:26 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Legally, they must give you 48 hours after a vaginal birth BUT more and
more hospitals are encouraging women to leave after 24 hours again.
Often you will be offered a visit by a home health nurse if you leave
in 24 hours. Some women leave after 12 hours or so but it can be hard
convincing some providers to release you and you may need to sign
yourself and the baby out AMA.

Karen

Old December 2nd 05, 12:31 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anonymama wrote:

For those of you who gave birth in hospitals: how long were you in the
hospital for? I was there for two days with my first, because I had a
fever (an infection from meconium). This time around I'd like to get out
of there ASAP. If it's a normal, healthy birth, with no complications
and no c-section, how long do people usually stay?

Unmedicated vaginal birth, we left about 30 hours after DD was born.
She was born at 5 AM after an all night labor so I rested that first
day. We toyed with leaving that night but decided to spend one
night. We would have gotten out a little earlier the next day but
it was crazy busy so it took awhile for us to get discharged.

I think if I hadn't been up all night, we would have left the
day she was born.

Mary W.

Old December 2nd 05, 01:39 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Anonymama" wrote in message news:user-
For those of you who gave birth in hospitals: how long were you in the
hospital for?

DD1: 1.5 days.
DD2: 1 day.
DD2: 1 day.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 2nd 05, 02:37 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anonymama wrote:
For those of you who gave birth in hospitals: how long were you in the
hospital for? I was there for two days with my first, because I had a
fever (an infection from meconium). This time around I'd like to get out
of there ASAP. If it's a normal, healthy birth, with no complications
and no c-section, how long do people usually stay?

(I know people leave birth centers much earlier, and then of course
there are home births and front-seat-of-car births, but I'm most curious
about plain ol' vanilla hospital births.)
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006

I stayed about 24 hours with both of mine. I don't sleep well in
hospitals and felt much more comfortable at home.

Bryna

Old December 2nd 05, 03:18 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Anonymama" wrote in message

(I know people leave birth centers much earlier, and then of course
there are home births and front-seat-of-car births, but I'm most curious
about plain ol' vanilla hospital births.)

Ds was a plain ol' vanilla hospital birth and I stayed for the typical 48
hours.

DD was a car birth in front of the hospital. I intended to use the birth
center and be gone in 12 hours but they had us stay for 24 because she had
meconium.

JennP.

Old December 2nd 05, 04:00 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anonymama wrote:
For those of you who gave birth in hospitals: how long were you in the
hospital for? I was there for two days with my first, because I had a
fever (an infection from meconium). This time around I'd like to get out
of there ASAP. If it's a normal, healthy birth, with no complications
and no c-section, how long do people usually stay?

(I know people leave birth centers much earlier, and then of course
there are home births and front-seat-of-car births, but I'm most curious
about plain ol' vanilla hospital births.)
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006

2 plain ol' vanilla hospital births:
#1 - baby born 5 am Saturday, stayed till Monday afternoon due to fear
of infection (prolonged rupture of membranes) and bfing challenges
#2 - as straight forward as they come - baby born 11 am Tuesday, left
Wednesday around 6 pm. I didn't want to sleep there a second night, but
wasn't in a huge hurry to leave

Melania

Old December 2nd 05, 04:27 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Anonymama" wrote in message
For those of you who gave birth in hospitals: how long were you in the
hospital for? I was there for two days with my first, because I had a
fever (an infection from meconium). This time around I'd like to get out
of there ASAP. If it's a normal, healthy birth, with no complications
and no c-section, how long do people usually stay?

(I know people leave birth centers much earlier, and then of course
there are home births and front-seat-of-car births, but I'm most curious
about plain ol' vanilla hospital births.)
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006

About 24 hrs for us, even with meconium and moderate jaundice. I was glad
to be home, but I think my daughter could have benefited from an additional
night there...

Old December 2nd 05, 04:36 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anonymama wrote:
For those of you who gave birth in hospitals: how long were you in the
hospital for?

Trying to remember...DD was born at around 7am and we left after lunch
the following day. That allowed her to get checked by the ped. twice
(morning rounds), get her first bath and all her testing etc, and to
make sure she was nursing ok.

Elle

Old December 2nd 05, 06:01 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

DS2 was born at 9:21pm on Monday evening.
When the OB came on rounds Tuesday morning,
he said "No pressure, but assuming all
continues to be well, when did you want to
be discharged, this evening or tomorrow morning?"
I said "this evening!" as it was getting to
be a pain to be away from DS1, and furthermore
I thought DS2 and I (not to mention DH) would
get better rest at home). We left by 8:30 pm
on Tuesday.

--
Emily
DS1 5/02