What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

Old December 11th 03, 09:58 AM
Bach

Default What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

There is nothing wrong with circumsizing your baby. My boy had a
topical cream applied by dr. When he returned from surgery you
wouldn't have thought he was in any pain at all. Don't worry, but
insist upon a topical anesthetic.

"T" wrote in message . net...
I am having sons circumcision tomorrow. I had one other question.
They do not use pain killer because of swelling, is there something that the
doc can use that will not swell. I heard of a cream that they can put on to
minimize pain.

Also, why is it best practice to NOT do circumcision. I figure since my
first son is circ. I should have 2nd son also. I know they are doing the
circs now but taking less foreskin off.

I am in US.

Thanks again in advance

Old December 11th 03, 12:52 PM
Leanne

NO - as I said in my other post - the tissue removed is not part of the
shaft of the penis and does not stretch during an erection. If these guys
woke up bleeding or had skin that was/is too tight then there is some

other
issue at play such as self inflicted trauma, Peyronie's disease, or other
skin ailments (that can just happen to be on the penis).

You are, quite correct

Old December 11th 03, 02:31 PM
Liz

Please look at the pictures of an actual circumcision taking place before
you take your son to the doctor.

http://www.intact.ca/vidintro.htm
"T" wrote in message
et...
Do you know the name of the cream?

Thanks

om...

Old December 11th 03, 02:32 PM
Liz

Please look at the pictures of an actual circumcision being done at the
following site before taking your son to the doctor.

http://www.intact.ca/vidintro.htm

"T" wrote in message
et...
Do you know the name of the cream?

Thanks

om...

Old December 11th 03, 03:06 PM
CBI

"Slave" wrote in message . net...
Ok PF Riley,

"First do no harm" is the doctors creedo.

Actually, it is a slogan that I have been told came into vogue around
the time of the US civil war (but I have never been able to verify
that) and never really had any kind of official standing in the
medical community. Some argue that it stems from the Hippocratic oath
- which does have some similar sentiments but not those exact words.

Either way - it is a nice sentiment but frequently hard to put into
practice. It is never possible to guarantee a lack of harm either by
acting or not. The sentiment would be better put as "maximize the
chances for a good outcome."

As for circ's - mind you I am not saying there is a strong argument
for (or against) them (I did not have it done to my own son) - but...

The issues are not so clear cut as the anti-circ protagnonists often
imply. Boys who have had it done seem to have a higher incidence of
penile cancer but a lower incidence of agressive/invasive penile
cancer. Uncirc'd boys have a higher incidence of UTI's and some say
STD's. In my opinion none of this is of a magnitude or certainty high
enough to support a medical recommendation for the procedure but I can
see a reasonable person disagreeing.

The biggest reason to have it done for an otherwise well informed
parent is cultural. It would be very hard for the doctor to judge the
likely impact of doing or not doing the circ in this regard.

Unfortunately, I really think most are done in the US because the
parents think it is the normal thing to do and haven't really ever
considered or learned that there is an option. I do think the doctrine
of informed consent should force more of a discussion beforehand.
Since in many places the OB's that deliver the child are also the ones
that do the deed there should be ample opportunity to raise the
subject during the pregnancy. If the OB will not be doing it then they
should raise the issue and suggest the parent discuss it with the
(usually) pediatrician who will (and who generally will be the
pediatrician going forward). Scaremongering websites pushing an agenda
are not good sources of information.

So, what to do medically is not clear (which makes me - personally -
want to not do anything irreversible and wait and see what we learn
next) and there are personal factors to consider. The major medical
organizations by and large recommend leaving it up to the parent -
which I think is pretty reasonable. After all, there is a presumption
in our society that the parent is usually in the best position to
judge what is best.

I do not think it is possible to attach the admonition of "do no harm"
to this decision (or at least it is not possible to tell on which side
it would fall in all cases).

--
CBI, MD
Old December 11th 03, 03:27 PM
Carol Ann

: I am having sons circumcision tomorrow. I had one other question.
: They do not use pain killer because of swelling, is there something that
the
: doc can use that will not swell. I heard of a cream that they can put on
: minimize pain.
:
: Also, why is it best practice to NOT do circumcision. I figure since my
: first son is circ. I should have 2nd son also. I know they are doing the
: circs now but taking less foreskin off.
:
: I am in US.
:
: Thanks again in advance

I personally would circumcise my son (if I had one) AND I would ask for them
to lessen the pain during and after the procedure.

I find an uncircumcised penis quite unattractive.

~Carol Ann

Old December 11th 03, 04:42 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

CBI wrote:

NO - as I said in my other post - the tissue removed is not part of the
shaft of the penis and does not stretch during an erection. If these guys
woke up bleeding or had skin that was/is too tight then there is some other
issue at play such as self inflicted trauma, Peyronie's disease, or other
skin ailments (that can just happen to be on the penis).

My husband is intact and I can say with a fair amount of certainty that
yes, his foreskin does indeed stretch during an erection.

What you are failing to understand is that since an infant foreskin is
still "glued" to the penis, i.e. it hasn't unattached yet (it cannot
retract) then it is a chancy surgery to remove the foreskin - damage is
easily done to surrounding tissue.

Old December 11th 03, 04:47 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Carol Ann wrote:

I personally would circumcise my son (if I had one) AND I would ask for them
to lessen the pain during and after the procedure.

I find an uncircumcised penis quite unattractive.

Since you wouldn't be having sex with your son, why do you need to find
his penis attractive?

Personally I find cut penises unattractive more often than not, because
I can usually ALWAYS identify the scar tissue which puckers and looks
very abnormal. Since I'm not into scarring I find that unattractive.

Old December 11th 03, 05:34 PM
toypup

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
ink.net...
I personally would circumcise my son (if I had one) AND I would ask for

them
to lessen the pain during and after the procedure.

I find an uncircumcised penis quite unattractive.

I don't really care much either way, but I think it's wrong to have your
child suffer the pain and possible complications of being c*rced because
*you* think it's unattractive. Would you also alter his ears if they stuck
out too far, or his nose if it were crooked?