reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

Old March 1st 04, 01:31 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Default reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

The mind boggles. I understand choosing not to breastfeed if you don't
have proper supply and can't get it, if your baby isn't thriving, or you
have to take medications to live which would go through the breastmilk
and harm the baby, etc... but some of the reasons I've heard lately just
floor me.

For example:

1) dh doesn't want me to (he thinks sex would be awkward with lactating
breasts, etc)

2) I don't like looking at my breasts (!!?)

3) it's just *icky*

Those seem to be the top three ?!

Old March 1st 04, 02:14 AM
Chotii

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote in message
The mind boggles. I understand choosing not to breastfeed if you don't
have proper supply and can't get it, if your baby isn't thriving, or you
have to take medications to live which would go through the breastmilk
and harm the baby, etc... but some of the reasons I've heard lately just
floor me.

For example:

1) dh doesn't want me to (he thinks sex would be awkward with lactating
breasts, etc)

To which my response might well be, "Oh? Funny, I thought they were YOUR
breasts. Not his." Aw, for crying out loud. Sex is inherently a messy
process. It's frequently awkward. Sex while pregnant is even more awkward.
But we somehow manage to get through that (or we go without, which is
another option.)

2) I don't like looking at my breasts (!!?)

Boggle?

3) it's just *icky*

See, I don't get that either. But I *always* knew I would breastfeed. It
never once occurred to me to do any differently. Not once. Even through the
difficulties I faced at the beginning each time.

I don't get the whole 'icky' part. (Of course, heh, I think if you THINK
about it, sex looks pretty icky too. But that doesn't stop most of us.
Obviously, or we wouldn't be here.

--angela

Old March 1st 04, 03:19 AM
Marie

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:31:22 GMT, Shena Delian O'Brien
wrote:
1) dh doesn't want me to (he thinks sex would be awkward with lactating
breasts, etc)

If the man is going to be a father he really should get over it and
want the best for his children!

2) I don't like looking at my breasts (!!?)

Ok that's just an odd excuse. I think mine are unattractive but they
sure make the babies grow.

3) it's just *icky*

Sex isn't? Giving birth isn't? Changing diapers isn't? I think any
excuse is selfish. There is no reason not to breastfeed if you are
able to. I don't see how any mother could just choose not to out of
some stupid reason like "it's icky". I was in classes with a girl who
was going to be an RN in an OB's office, and when we were discussing
breastfeeding one day she said "I ain't never lettin' no baby suck my
titty!" Like it's something disgusting!

Those seem to be the top three ?!

Many women don't bother to try when they failed with the first child.
That's probably the excuse I hear the most.
And I did quit with my first, I got mastitis and was ignorant and
stupid and there was no excuse for me to make her do without
breastmilk. I went on to nurse my next two for a year and a half each,
still going with #2. I'll always regret stopping with my oldest
daughter.
Marie
Old March 1st 04, 05:39 AM
Sami

"Marie" wrote in message
3) it's just *icky*

Sex isn't? Giving birth isn't? Changing diapers isn't? I think any
excuse is selfish. There is no reason not to breastfeed if you are
able to. I don't see how any mother could just choose not to out of
some stupid reason like "it's icky". I was in classes with a girl who
was going to be an RN in an OB's office, and when we were discussing
breastfeeding one day she said "I ain't never lettin' no baby suck my
titty!" Like it's something disgusting!

That's exactly how I feel about it. Its not something I'm comfortable with
and I'm sure a baby can sense that. Rather than create a miserable
experience for both of us, I'll choose not to breastfeed. I wasn't
breastfed and my sister was. She is allergic to everything (even water) and
is sick often. I don't have any allergies and am rarely ever sick.
Therefore, if it doesn't effect how healthy a child winds up being I don't
feel that its that much of an issue.

Old March 1st 04, 05:54 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Sami wrote:

breastfed and my sister was. She is allergic to everything (even water) and
is sick often. I don't have any allergies and am rarely ever sick.
Therefore, if it doesn't effect how healthy a child winds up being I don't
feel that its that much of an issue.

This, I think, sums up what a *lot* of women who choose not to
breastfeed think.

The statistics and studies show increased health benefits for breastfed
babies - one singular experience doesn't change this. There are many
reasons available as to why your sister was a sicker child than you that
may have nothing to do with whether she was breastfed or not.

Believing that this is false, and that all the studies and research (and
indeed thousands of years of human history) are wrong can be quite
consoling when choosing not to breastfeed.

I however do not think this belief is an honest one, and believe that if
I chose not to breastfeed the chances are I would be choosing something
that is *not* the healthiest choice for my baby.

Old March 1st 04, 06:18 AM
CY

"Sami" wrote in message
That's exactly how I feel about it. Its not something I'm comfortable with
and I'm sure a baby can sense that.

I just have to ask. What is it about bf'ing that you are not comfortable
with? You'd be surprised that once you see your baby how you'd do ANYTHING
that was good for them. Why not give it a try, even for a few weeks so that
you can give him/her the best start?

Rather than create a miserable experience for both of us, I'll choose not to
breastfeed.

You don't know that it would be miserable. You're making an assumption that
it would be because of something psychological. A baby wouldn't necessarily
sense you were miserable either. (If you eneded up being, which I doubt)

I wasn't breastfed and my sister was. She is allergic to everything (even
water) and is sick often. I don't have any allergies and am rarely ever
sick.
Therefore, if it doesn't effect how healthy a child winds up being I don't

feel that its that much of an issue.

There are so many reasons a child can be sickly. If she wasn't bf'd she may
be even sicklier. It DOES affect how healthy a child is, and to ignore
years of research and history because of a selfish "I feel it's disgusting"
response is doing your child a great injustice, IMO.

Old March 1st 04, 09:40 PM
Daye

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:18:08 -0700, "CY"
wrote:

You don't know that it would be miserable. You're making an assumption that
it would be because of something psychological. A baby wouldn't necessarily
sense you were miserable either. (If you eneded up being, which I doubt)

You are saying that a baby can't sense what you are feeling??? Sure,
they can. Babies know who is comfortable holding them and who isn't,
and they act accordingly. They know when you are upset or stressed or
angry. My DD could sense that I hated breastfeeding her, and every
time we did, it was a misery for both. It was more relaxing for both
when I bottle fed her.

I am not saying that you shouldn't try breastfeeding because I believe
that everyone should give it a chance.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold
Old March 1st 04, 10:00 PM
Welches

wrote:

You don't know that it would be miserable. You're making an assumption

that
it would be because of something psychological. A baby wouldn't

necessarily
sense you were miserable either. (If you eneded up being, which I doubt)

You are saying that a baby can't sense what you are feeling??? Sure,
they can. Babies know who is comfortable holding them and who isn't,
and they act accordingly. They know when you are upset or stressed or
angry. My DD could sense that I hated breastfeeding her, and every
time we did, it was a misery for both. It was more relaxing for both
when I bottle fed her.

I am not saying that you shouldn't try breastfeeding because I believe
that everyone should give it a chance.

Well said, totally agreed! If you're stressed you produce less milk too
apparently.
Debbie

Old March 2nd 04, 04:08 AM
Coccinella

I agree with you Daye.
My mother did not BF me because she said her milk wasn't rich enough. Then
she said she tried different types of formula and I wasn't eating those
either. So I was fed skimmed cow milk since I was 40 days old. My father, by
then was doing most of the feeding. My mother, as I explained before, is a
very troubled person, and I obviously don't remember it, but from the way
she described my behavior, I definitely sensed it!

Love

--
Nicky

EDD March 26, '04. It's a girl!

Fur Babies

Old March 2nd 04, 04:11 AM
Coccinella

Default OT I just saw the pics! ( reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding)

Daye,
I just saw the bictures of Jayan and Leopold. They are both so cute!

Love

--
Nicky

EDD March 26, '04. It's a girl!