Failed Pitocin Induction

Old July 30th 03, 04:13 AM
Leigh Menconi

Default Failed Pitocin Induction

I had a failed induction with my first child and ended up with a c-section.
I went in on a Friday morning and they started the pitocin and nothing
happened all day, except what was barely detectable by the fetal monitor.
Around 9pm that night, the doctor put in the gel and then I was in back
labor all night and couldn't sleep. They put me back on the pitocin in the
morning at a much higher dose/rate and broke my water. Once the water's
broken, there's no turning back. I was so exhausted by the time I was in
active labor Saturday afternoon that I just didn't have the energy to push.
(It was late afternoon Saturday and I hadn't eaten since Thursday night.)
The baby was posterior and was crowning and just wouldn't come out that way
so they basically pushed it back in and took me into the OR for the section
and the baby was born around 8:30pm.

When I had my twins four years later, I opted for a scheduled c-section
because of my previous bad experience with the pitocin and from anecdotal
advice/stories that c-sections are *much* easier to recover from if they're
not done after two days in labor. I have to agree, my recovery the 2nd time
was *much* quicker.

Leigh in raLeigh

"Usenet Fan" wrote in message
m...
I got a call from a friend today who had gone in to the hospital for
induction. She was only 3 days past her due date, but was suffering
horribly from indigestion and acid reflux, so when her OB suggested
induction, she set the date.

She went in last night for the cytotec gel, then was to get pitocin
today. They gave it to her all day. Contractions apparently were
visible on the fetal monitor, but she wasn't feeling much.

After an entire night and day in the hospital, they told her that the
pitocin just wasn't working, and they sent her home. Said if she
doesn't go into labor spontaneously by Friday, they'll start induction
again on Saturday.

The conception date was absolutely certain, since it was an IVF baby,
so this isn't a case of induction terribly early.

Has anyone ever heard of pitocin FAILING to induce labor? Is it
possible that some people are just not reactive to pitocin? What
would happen next if she doesn't go into labor spontaneously? I'm
thinking stripping of membranes or something. I'm just nervous for
her that if pitocin doesn't work again they'll cart her right off for
a c-section.

Anyway, it's got me thinking and I wondered what anyone here knows
about this type of reaction from induction?

Thanks,
Robin
#1 EDD early December, 2003

Old July 30th 03, 05:04 AM
the artist

Babies #3 and #4 were failed inductions for the first day. I went home and
back to the hosp. a couple days later and it worked.
Babies #5 and #6 were also induced and labor went accordingly.

#1 EDD early December, 2003

Old July 30th 03, 07:44 AM
mike and dena

My first baby was induced on a tuesday, hard contractions thanks to pitocin
from 9am till i was sent home at 10pm due to lack of progress. I had painful
cx all that night at home, but they stopped when I fell asleep. I returned
to the hospital for a repeat try thursday, and this was successful. The
first try was 8 days past my due date, dd was born 11 days past after
another 12 hours of labor. The doctor broke my water the second time, and
threatened csection if I didnt progress. Thankfully all went according to
plan. Until this post, I have never come accross anyone else induced only to
be sent home without a baby. What a ripoff that was! Best of luck to your
friend for a speedy, and hopefully sans-pitocin delivery!
Dena

Old July 30th 03, 02:25 PM
Astromum

Usenet Fan wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of pitocin FAILING to induce labor?

Yes, it happened to my cousin. She was induced at 42w gestation,
but to no effect. She had some minor contractions and dilated a
few centimeters, but then it stopped. Since she was already
2 weeks overdue, she had to have a c-section.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 30th 03, 10:34 PM
larissa

I had a failed induction too, for my first pg. Personally I don't think
your friend was very to give birth. 40 weeks is not some magical number
there is a wide range of normal gestation lengths some people go way
past the 40 weeks.
In my family according to my grandmother 43 weeks is normal. Hence my
failed induction at 41w2d unfortunately my waters broke, I had strong
contractions while on the pitocin, after 12 hours I demanded they turn
it off the contractions just stopped. After an epidural and 8 hours
later with little dilation I was sectioned.

I am pleased they sent your friend home. Let her go on her own time or
at least give her a bit more time. Healing from a c - section is no fun
and then there is all the fuss with future births since VBACs are not
supported or encouraged everywhere.

Larissa
DD Feb 99
DS Mar 01