Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

Old September 9th 06, 09:01 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Herman Rubin

Default Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

In article ,
nimue wrote:
Raving Beauty wrote:
nimue wrote:
toto wrote:
I am a
teacher and I can tell you that kids who get As usually do so
because they love learning.

Bull****.

Getting straight A's necessitates one PLAY THE GAME

What game? Doing all your homework?

Why? The only legitimate purpose for homework is to
help learn the material. If it is not needed for
that, it should not be assigned.

Writing all your essays?

If one or two satisfactory essays are written, what
is the purpose of the rest?

Getting an A
average on tests and quizzes?

Do you not take into account improving during the term?
The first time I taught a class, a student got a good
A on the final, much better than earlier. I learned
then that it is the end result which should count.

Completing all your projects?

Unless there is a VERY good reason for projects, they
should be abolished.

Showing up to
class every day?

Who cares? What matters is what they learn, and
even more important, what they understand.

That is what you are graded on. That is not a game --
that is school.

You are part of the problem.
Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
Old September 9th 06, 09:20 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Herman Rubin

In article ,
Bob LeChevalier wrote:
"Linda Gore" wrote:
There is NO chance that persons who had to sacrifice EVERYTHING, most
especially their conscience and morals, just to get their degrees, then
get and keep their teaching license are not going to make damn sure their
students are forced to make the same damn sacrifices.

Feel free to not play the game. Feel free to starve. Rarely will
someone pay you for doing what you want instead of what they want.

That's life. Live with it.

This is also why most of the academic people I know would
like to abolish the schools of education. They teach
their students in such a way that they cannot learn to
think later. They correctly claim that they cannot
think "outside the box", not realizing that it is they
who have made the walls of the box thick and high.

Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
Old September 9th 06, 09:22 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Herman Rubin

In article ,
Bob LeChevalier wrote:
"nimue" wrote:
Dunnoh' , 'cept to point out that the essential concern is on
improving skills and increasing understanding.

Have you heard of a little thing called NCLB that rules our lives?

Why does it rule our lives?

Why don't we vote out all the assholes that created it, and elect new
assholes to eliminate it?

That is what we have to do; separate school from state,
and at this time, get rid of education courses.

Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
Old September 9th 06, 09:25 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
toypup

"Herman Rubin" wrote in message
Some people have complained that certain courses get
grades above 4.0. This is to get "straight A" students
to take the honors courses instead of the weak stuff;
the honors courses are still lower level than the
regular college preparatory program before WWII.

How do you know that?

Old September 9th 06, 09:31 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
toypup

"Herman Rubin" wrote in message

If one or two satisfactory essays are written, what
is the purpose of the rest?

To improve the writing from satisfactory to excellent.

Unless there is a VERY good reason for projects, they
should be abolished.

Learning is a very good reason.

Showing up to
class every day?

Who cares? What matters is what they learn, and
even more important, what they understand.

I have to agree here. I did not always show up to class in college. As
long as I understood the material, I was fine studying at home. If I was
having difficulty, then I would attend class to help clarify the material.

Old September 9th 06, 10:24 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
[email protected]

"karlisa" wrote:
Herman Rubin wrote:

Furthermore, I see nothing wrong with signing up for a
course and then deciding it is not worth completing. I
see nothing wrong with collecting a lot of D's and F's;
the straight-A student tends to be weak and shallow in
the important things.

Interesting, and if such a student were to attend college and have that
same attitude about his/her school work and then earn a bunch of D's or
F's, don't you think it is a safe assumption that the student will be
placed on academic probation or suspension? So, there are consequences
to being a slackard.

Are we sure all D and F students are slackards? It may be that they
don't understand the material well enough to get a better grade.
Possibly, they are taking too many classes, or did not have the proper
prerequisites.

--gregbo
gds at best dot com
Old September 9th 06, 10:39 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Herman Rubin

In article ,
toypup wrote:

"Herman Rubin" wrote in message
Some people have complained that certain courses get
grades above 4.0. This is to get "straight A" students
to take the honors courses instead of the weak stuff;
the honors courses are still lower level than the
regular college preparatory program before WWII.

How do you know that?

One would have to be deaf and dumb not to know that.
Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
Old September 9th 06, 10:42 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Herman Rubin

In article ,
toypup wrote:

"Herman Rubin" wrote in message

If one or two satisfactory essays are written, what
is the purpose of the rest?

To improve the writing from satisfactory to excellent.

This is unlikely to happen, unless the reason for lack
of excellence is technical.

Unless there is a VERY good reason for projects, they
should be abolished.

Learning is a very good reason.

Only in rare cases do projects help learning. I would
doubt that this would be the case in English, the subject
under discussion.

Old September 9th 06, 11:18 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Bob LeChevalier

(Herman Rubin) wrote:
That is what we have to do; separate school from state,

Easy to do. Just send your kid to private school (with private and
not state money).

lojbab
Old September 10th 06, 12:31 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
toypup

toypup wrote:

"Herman Rubin" wrote in message
Some people have complained that certain courses get
grades above 4.0. This is to get "straight A" students
to take the honors courses instead of the weak stuff;
the honors courses are still lower level than the
regular college preparatory program before WWII.

How do you know that?

One would have to be deaf and dumb not to know that.

I have asked you a good question and you owe me an apology. You might
possibly be right about the college prep work. However, one would have to
be able to compare college prep work before WWII and now. How have you done
that?