do i take the pump?

Old November 24th 05, 03:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default do i take the pump?

DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
Sydney for their Christmas party
I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I can
put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
Help me decide.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old November 24th 05, 04:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

A&G&K&H wrote:
DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
Sydney for their Christmas party
I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I can
put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
Help me decide.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003
DS 20th August 2004

I'd pop if I went that long without nursing.

Take the pump. What would you do if you found you needed it and it was
not around?

Jacqueline
Old November 24th 05, 05:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

A&G&K&H wrote:
..
I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I can
put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
Help me decide.

Have you practiced hand-expressing? If you haven't, give it a try
before you leave. If you can get it to work, I wouldn't bother
bringing the pump. If it's a no-go, I'd bring it just in case - I'd
hate for you to get mastititis!

Irene

Old November 24th 05, 06:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

When DS1 was 16 months old I went away for the first time
over night ... to Vienna (I live in the US). I was gone
three nights total, I think. I brought my Avent Isis and
pumped a few times, but never got very much nor felt any great
need to pump. I was mostly concerned with keeping some supply,
since I wasn't ready to wean yet (didn't leave any EBM for
DS while I was away though). YMMV of course. Are you any
good at hand expressing? If so, that would do if you were
feeling engorged.

--
Emily
DS1 5/02 - nursed to 20m
Old November 24th 05, 10:05 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I'd take it, I wouldn't want to risk getting full, then hand expressing and
having to let it all run away down the sink

Anne

Old November 24th 05, 11:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

A&G&K&H wrote:
DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
Sydney for their Christmas party
I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I can
put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
Help me decide.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003
DS 20th August 2004

I'd just hand express if you feel you need it at the time. Is that an
option? Bring a bottle or two to store it though.

Jo
Old November 24th 05, 11:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

A&G&K&H wrote:
DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
Sydney for their Christmas party

Fun! DD 2 and your DS are pretty much the same age and nursing the
same amount. I just had a 4 day conference that I left DD for. I
actually brought my PIS and pumped two times a day. I probably could
have gone about 24 hours but then it would have started to get
uncomfortable. Mostly, I was concerned about plugged ducts, since
I get them every now and again. The isis is small enough, that I
would bring it just in case.

Have a lovely time.

Mary

Old November 25th 05, 04:55 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"A&G&K&H" wrote in message
DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
Sydney for their Christmas party
I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I

can
put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
Help me decide.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003
DS 20th August 2004

Thanks all ... of course you are all right - I should take the pump as I'd
be really stuck if I didn't have it (I'm hopeless at hand expressing).
I'm not thet concerned about the milk (I'll pump and dump), but I am
concerned about my supply while I'm away.
Thanks for helping me to see the right decision.
Amanda

Old November 28th 05, 07:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

If you are gone for a day and a half, your supply will probably
suffer a little unless you take a pump or get DH to 'help out'
a couple of times.

Have fun away,
Larry

A&G&K&H writes:
: DH and I will spend 36 hours away from the kids next week.
: DS (15 months) feeds 3-4 times a day and I've expressed enough for him for
: the duration, but I'm wondering if I should take my Avent Isis with me on
: our 1 night holiday (DH's work's supplier has paid for us to fly down to
: Sydney for their Christmas party
: I have never leaked with DS, and I don't seem to get super "full" anymore,
: but it will probably be a full day and a half between BF.
: I can't decide if its worth the hassle of bringing my pump, or whether I can
: put up with it and give extra feeds when I get back and boost my supply.
: Help me decide.
: Amanda

: --
: DD 15th August 2002