AFP again

Old October 6th 03, 10:05 PM
Mr. X

Default AFP again

I have now receievd two emails and a post
by people lecturing me on how my wife and
I should have done, this, that and the other thing...
yadda yadda yadda...

And the responses have been a condescending.
So, may I ask again...

Can someone tell me what AFP DOES.

Old October 6th 03, 10:06 PM
Daye

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:05:53 -0700, "Mr. X"
wrote:

Can someone tell me what AFP DOES.

Yes, a doctor...

Now go away and ask.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old October 6th 03, 10:17 PM
Mr. X

First she was snippy...
And she did not tell me when I asked.
But do not worry.

This does not appear to be a very healthy group.

I'll get the info from a group less snippy and more
able to respond to a question.
Bye.

"Crystal Dreamer" wrote in message
I just had to reply when wrote:
I have now receievd two emails and a post
by people lecturing me on how my wife and
I should have done, this, that and the other thing...
yadda yadda yadda...

And the responses have been a condescending.
So, may I ask again...

Can someone tell me what AFP DOES.

Daye told you what AFP does.
Please reread her post.

Old October 6th 03, 10:54 PM
Fer

Mr. X wrote:
|| First she was snippy...
|| And she did not tell me when I asked.
|| But do not worry.
|| This does not appear to be a very healthy group.
|| I'll get the info from a group less snippy and more
|| able to respond to a question.
|| Bye.

LOL This has to be one of *the* most healthy and helpful newsgroups around.
Daye was simply pointing out that if one is going to get tested, one should
know what they are testing for and why.....
Alpha fetoprotein (AFP) is a protein produced by the liver and yolk sac of
a fetus. AFP has no normal function in adults. The alpha fetoprotein test
(AFP) is a blood test performed to measure, diagnose, or monitor fetal
distress or fetal abnormalities. It can also detect some liver disorders and
some cancers in adults.
...... what is it's function? I couldn't find the exact answer either. If
you are so very curious why don't you call your MD?
--?
~~~Cheers!~~~
Jenn-WAHM-DS11-DD6-TTC#3

Old October 7th 03, 04:03 AM
jmorgan

"Mr. X" wrote:

Can someone tell me what AFP DOES.

Most references I found indicate possible roles in fetal development,
but the actual function of the protein is largely unknown, as shown
below. Its gene expression is 'turned off' for the most part at birth,
and thus probably has little or no function in an adult, however, as
indicated its expression and thus elevated levels are often re-initiated
in certain cancer cells. As previously mentioned in another thread, it
serves simply as a very preliminary marker for spina bifida and other
birth defects, as well as downs syndrome. The false positive rate is
extremely high, therefore it is advisable to try not to worry about your
result until after more thorough and reliable testing can be performed.
Good luck.

'Although alpha-fetoprotein may play a role in fetal immune function or
in maintenance of osmotic pressure, its exact function is unknown.'
Ref: Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1992 Aug;167(2):509-11

'PURPOSE : Alphafetoprotein (AFP) is a major serum protein in early
fetal and embryonic life. It is initially produced by the yolk sac and
later by hepatocytes. Expression is down regulated at birth but can be
re-expressed in tumors such as hepatocellular carcinoma. *However,
despite extensive investigation, its function is still unknown.* In
order to define when and where AFP is produced during the embryonic
period we have investigated the expression of AFP in mouse and human
embryos.

Ref: Embryonic Alphafetoprotein Expression: Significant Human and Mouse
Differences. E.A. Jones1,2, M. Clement-Jones1, S. Lindsay1, T.
Strachan1, S. Robson1, D.I. Wilson1,2. 1) School of Biochemistry and
Genetics, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne
and Wear, UK; 2) School of Clinical Medical Sciences, University of
Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, UK.' (no date
given, looks to be 1999)
http://www.faseb.org/genetics/ashg99/f974.htm

cara

Old October 7th 03, 12:44 PM
Hillary Israeli

*
*And the responses have been a condescending.
*So, may I ask again...
*
*Can someone tell me what AFP DOES.

I am really not sure why you CARE *so* very much but have failed to
inquire at one of your wife's OB visits (or midwife visits, or other
healthcare practicioner visits). That being said, no one is telling you
what alpha fetoprotein does because its exact purpose is not known at this
time.

Have a nice day.

Old October 7th 03, 02:05 PM
Mary W.

"Mr. X" wrote:

I have now receievd two emails and a post
by people lecturing me on how my wife and
I should have done, this, that and the other thing...
yadda yadda yadda...

And the responses have been a condescending.
So, may I ask again...

Can someone tell me what AFP DOES.

A pubmed search came up with the following:

Alpha-fetoprotein, the major fetal serum protein, is not essential for
embryonic development but is required for female fertility

Gabant,P.; Forrester,L.; Nichols,J.; Van Reeth,T.; De Mees,C.;
Pajack,B.; Watt,A.; Smitz,J.; Alexandre,H.; Szpirer,C.; Szpirer,J.

Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.U.S.A 99(20):12865-70,2002

The alpha-fetoprotein gene (Afp) is a member of a multigenic family that
comprises the related genes encoding albumin, alpha-albumin, and vitamin
D binding protein. The biological role of this major embryonic serum
protein is unknown although numerous speculations have been made. We
have used gene targeting to show that AFP is not required for embryonic
development. AFP null embryos develop normally, and individually
transplanted homozygous embryos can develop in an AFP-deficient
microenvironment. Whereas mutant homozygous adult males are viable and
fertile, AFP null females are infertile. Our analyses of these mice
indicate that the defect is caused by a dysfunction of the
hypothalamic/pituitary system, leading to anovulation

Does that help?

Mary

Old October 7th 03, 06:37 PM
Coccinella

Although alpha-fetoprotein may play a role in fetal immune function or in
maintenance of osmotic pressure, its exact function is unknown. We report
two infants documented to have congenital deficiency of alpha-fetoprotein.
One infant had cord blood levels less than 0.5 ng/ml. The second infant had
a neonatal level of 120 ng/ml, which is about 2% of the usual concentration
for a term newborn. These infants document the existence of congenital
deficiency of serum alpha-fetoprotein. Because it is homologous to albumin,
congenital deficiency of alpha-fetoprotein may be analogous to
analbuminemia, a benign genetic trait.

alpha-Fetoprotein (AFP) is a large serum glycoprotein belonging to the
intriguing class of onco-developmental proteins. AFP has attracted
considerable attention since it was shown that the change in its serum level
during pregnancy is a hallmark of the development of numerous embryonic
disorders, while the increase in its content in the plasma of adults
correlates with the appearance of several pathological conditions. Over the
past 30 years, some 11000 papers have been published concerning AFP, an
average rate of over a publication a day since 1969. The majority of
publications are about the application of the protein in diagnostics, or
about other uses of AFP in biomedicine; though some of them describe the
biochemical and functional properties of AFP, two aspects have been
extensively reviewed. However, surprisingly little is currently known about
structural properties of this protein as well as about the molecular
mechanism of its function. The present review pursues the aim to describe
the current state of the art in studies of structural properties and
conformational stability of AFP. An attempt to establish the relationship
between conformational transformations in AFP and its function is also made.

Instead of being so rude next time you should try to refine your searches,
ie alpha-fetoprotein function, duh!

Nicky

Old October 8th 03, 02:12 AM
Mr. X

Can you read!!!
Go back...
read the first post.
I said that I Knew what the test measured by not what the protein did.
And promptly got responses telling me what the test does.

Me rude?
I am NOT the one who condescended and lectured about what questions
to ask. I konw what qeustions to ask. Certain people here do not know
how to respond with courtesty.

Now that YOU have admonished me, why don't YOU go **** yourself.
And re-read the post.
I was Initially NOT rude.