Need opinions about staying alone...

Old March 21st 04, 03:14 AM
Jill

Default Need opinions about staying alone...

I guess this would be a non-issue if I lived alone, lol. My husband is
planning to go visdit his family from Thursday night through Sunday night,
so about 3 days. I want him to go, and I'd much rather he go now than later
(he says he won't go later anyway).

I'm just a tad nervous since this is my first baby. Otherwise I am used to
being alone (I lived alone for years) etc, and enjoy the time alone etc. I
am 32 weeks now and have been having brief contractions (BH I guess) that
are a bit painful. So I am in some pain and disomfort a lot and am very very
tired, I don't go out much because of this, so I feel kind of blah but think
I'm fine, I think it's normal preg. stuff.

A lot of people think he shouldn't be leaving me at all now for a trip
that';s not necessary, but really, it's ok by me. I think the chances of
anything going wrong at this time are probably very minimal. If anything
does happen, I can drive to the dr/hospital or call a cab or ambulance and
my husband could be here in about 4 hours. Some people really think he
shouldn't be considering going whether I think it's fine or not.

I am just wanting opinions.....why wouldn't it be ok? I am telling him to
go. He shouldn't be chained to me-- besides, a lot of moms-to-be are single
moms to be. So I don't understand why some people make a big deal out of
this. I am not due until mid May!

Anyway, opinions? I am telling him to go and not worry. I'd feel ok with him
going until I get within 3 weeks of EDD....

Jill

Old March 21st 04, 03:35 AM
Kerry J. Renaissance-McAdams

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 03:14:56 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

Anyway, opinions? I am telling him to go and not worry. I'd feel ok with him
going until I get within 3 weeks of EDD....

If you are comfortable with it, and are not feeling likely to go into
labor soon, then send him off.

With my DS, my DH was in Alaska processing fish for the majority of
the 1st and 3rd trimester. He _did_ make it home for the birth,
though it was cutting it rather close. (He caught the last planes out
of Anchorage and Seattle, just before they closed the airports due to
heavy storms.) I had my sister as my primary birth-coach, so while I
wanted him there, his presence wasn't strictly necessary. (The main
thing for me was that I wasn't alone during the labor and birth. Even
with supportive hospital staff, that would just be too
scary/uncomfortable for me).

Old March 21st 04, 04:27 AM
Carla

I am 32 weeks and my husband just went out of town for 3 nights (about
3-4 hours away) I was fine. I don't know if I would have been quite
so fine with it if I was 36+ weeks but he's planning to be able to
take off work alot more the closer the time comes.

I think you'll be fine.

Carla

Old March 21st 04, 05:01 AM
Coccinella

DH had to go away for a whole week when I was 35 ww along. Everything was
fine. I had the same plans you have (If I needed to I could have gone to
the hospital by cab, ambulance etc).
I am sure you are going to be fine. You seem to have everytihng under
control!

Enjoy the quiet weekend!

Love

Nicky

Old March 21st 04, 05:11 AM
Carol Ann

:: I guess this would be a non-issue if I lived alone, lol. My husband is
:: planning to go visdit his family from Thursday night through Sunday
night,
:: so about 3 days. I want him to go, and I'd much rather he go now than
later
:: (he says he won't go later anyway).

:: I am just wanting opinions.....why wouldn't it be ok? I am telling him to
:: go. He shouldn't be chained to me-- besides, a lot of moms-to-be are
single
:: moms to be. So I don't understand why some people make a big deal out of
:: this. I am not due until mid May!
::
:: Anyway, opinions? I am telling him to go and not worry. I'd feel ok with
him
:: going until I get within 3 weeks of EDD....
::
:: Jill

I say let him go and make a really nice weekend out of it for yourself.
This may very well be the last time you will have the luxury of doing
whatever you want, whenever you want! Enjoy it. I always LOVE to spend
time doing the "girly" things.

Fortunately I get to be alone allot.

Things to do:

~Give yourself a manicure/pedicure
~Rent chick flicks
~Burp (and do other private things) whenever you feel like it
~Take a bubble bath with candles and soft music
~Call a few friends and have LONG conversations
~Write letters to your friends
~Start or continue your pregnancy diary
~Sit in your baby's room reading her/him a few stories

Things like that!!

~Carol Ann

Old March 21st 04, 05:59 AM
Marie

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 03:14:56 GMT, "Jill" wrote:
I am just wanting opinions.....why wouldn't it be ok? I am telling him to
go. He shouldn't be chained to me-- besides, a lot of moms-to-be are single
moms to be. So I don't understand why some people make a big deal out of
this. I am not due until mid May!

I think I would be fine with it. I would enjoy the time alone, having
the bed to myself for a few nights. I would miss dh of course but a
little time all by myself is great occasionally.
There is that point about single moms, and military wives.
I would *not* want him to be away in the last 2-3 weeks before my due
date though.
Marie
Old March 21st 04, 08:40 AM
Mary Gordon

Personally, I say let him go. Its like putting a deposit in the
marital bank - and since you are going to be withdrawing bigtime once
baby comes, its a good idea!!

Mary G.
Mom of three
Old March 21st 04, 11:55 AM
Cheryl

[...]

I wouldn't worry if I were you. My DH is in the Australian Navy and
up until I was about 32 weeks he was interstate. You already know
from here that the majority of first time mums go to term at least and
the ones who don't usually get at least a bit of notice so 4 hours
should be plenty of time as long as you don't get stressed about it.

FWIW my waters broke with #3 when DH was interstate. I had plenty of
time to let him know, organise the other kids and spend the night in
hospital before I went into labour (at 4am, 33w5d). I knew he would
be there around 7.30am by the flight he was taking home so I slowed my
labour down by not using the positions that make my contractions
constant (in my case standing up makes it go very fast, so I spent a
lot of the early morning lying on my side) and he made it in time to
see DD being born.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Old March 21st 04, 03:08 PM
Sue

Personally, I would send him off and absolutely love the time alone. If you
end up going into labor, all you have to do is call him, he comes home and
he will be there. Take the time to pamper yourself, watch girly movies and
enjoy yourself. Don't worry, everything will be fine.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

m...

Old March 21st 04, 03:47 PM
Sidheag McCormack

My opinion: it's good for him to go, and good for you to feel competent on
your own. However, he should make sure he's always contactable, e.g. by
carrying a mobile phone, just in case you do need him to come back in a
hurry. You'll both be fine - make sure you have your favourite food and
something especially nice to do (book to read, video to watch, friend to
come over?) while he's away.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003