(OT) That Mel Gibson Movie

Old February 26th 04, 11:24 PM
Connie Johnston

Default (OT) That Mel Gibson Movie

I have two sons (11 + 13). Is this movie appropriate for them?

Connie
Old February 26th 04, 11:56 PM
Banty

In article , Howard Wilson II says...

Connie Johnston wrote in news:403E8014.A11EEC41
:

I have two sons (11 + 13). Is this movie appropriate for them?

The book is better.

Although everyone insists on giving away the ending.

Banty

Old February 27th 04, 12:19 AM
B&S

"Connie Johnston" wrote in message
I have two sons (11 + 13). Is this movie appropriate for them?

Connie

Here is a great website that tells many details of the movies it reviews. I
mean down to the tiniest detail that often I never notice unless I look for
it. This link is specific to the movie you asked about (I hope). The site
tells you the amount of sex/nudity, violence/gore, and profanity. I often
find the site helpful.

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/p/passionofthechrist.htm

Personally, I'm not going to see the movie, as I see enuf gore at work... I
don't need to pay to get depressed. Hubby is considering taking the kids if
they want to go (14 and 16 years), or maybe they'll go with friends. I
heard a quote on the radio I thought was interesting. It was something
like... Only the eyes of the beholder will determine if this movie is
extremely profound or profoundly extreme.

I'm interested to see responses of people who have seen it.

Shelly

newsgroup address is munged
reply: randersons at charter dot net

Old February 27th 04, 01:19 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
Connie Johnston wrote:

I have two sons (11 + 13). Is this movie appropriate for them?

Connie

It may depend on the kids and on your religious convictions. It is
rated R for it's violence. Ebert wrote that it is 126 minutes long, and
120 of those minutes are torture and violence -- he said it may be the
most violent movie he's ever seen.

I don't plan on seeing it, nor would I take kids that age to it, but I
know some people will, at least in part because they want their kids to
understand on a deep and visceral level the passion of Jesus' last days.

meh

Old February 27th 04, 02:37 AM
just me

"Connie Johnston" wrote in message
I have two sons (11 + 13). Is this movie appropriate for them?

The news reports which I've seen where they discuss this question say two
things clearly: go first as a parent, leaving kids home, and see it to
decide how your kids would handle it, then take them if you think they can
deal with it. Secondly, it is rated R and even the producers are suggesting
that that means a mature 15 year old and older.

HTH

-Aula

Old February 27th 04, 04:00 AM

@notme.com:

I have two sons (11 + 13). Is this movie appropriate for them?

The book is better.

Howard

The book may be best, but Bach's Passions are better than Gibson's movie.
Old February 27th 04, 05:37 AM
Steve

"just me" wrote:
The news reports which I've seen where they discuss this question say two
things clearly: go first as a parent, leaving kids home, and see it to
decide how your kids would handle it, then take them if you think they can
deal with it. Secondly, it is rated R and even the producers are suggesting
that that means a mature 15 year old and older.

Ya gotta wonder what it takes to get an NC-17 rating for violence...

Old February 27th 04, 07:16 AM
Cindy Kandolf

Connie Johnston writes:
| I have two sons (11 + 13). Is this movie appropriate for them?

To me personally, there's no question that this movie is not
appropriate for pre-teens or younger teenagers. It's rated R for
violence alone, which means it's quite violent, and at its heart the
plot is about someone being tortured to death.

I usually consult Screen It! when I'm not sure about the
appropriateness of a movie Kenneth wants to see; here's what they have
to say about "The Passion of the Christ":

http://www.screenit.com/movies/2004/...he_christ.html

One excerpt:
"WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?

Older teens might be interested in its religious and/or controversial
aspects, but parents should note that this is an extremely intense,
violent and bloody experience if they're thinking of taking younger
kids along."

- Cindy Kandolf, mamma to Kenneth (10) and Robert (4)
****** Bærum, Norway
Bilingual Families Web Page:
http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html

Old February 27th 04, 07:55 AM
GI Trekker

I have two sons (11 + 13). Is this movie appropriate for them?

The book is better.

Okay, THAT was a good response. And I agree.

I think the movie would be a little harsh for those ages, personally.

That having been said, I do believe it is an absolute MUST SEE for any devout
Christian of adult age, who should definitely consider taking non-Christian
friends who haven't the time or patience for "the book", to show them what
Jesus did on their behalf.