Severe Swelling

Old October 29th 04, 09:52 PM
Leslie

Default Severe Swelling

This morning my feet were so swollen (pitting edema) that I could barely
squeeze them into the size 11 shoes I have been wearing while pregnant (my real
shoes are 9.5!). They went down some while napping but not much. My eyes are
also very puffy today.

I don't see the doctor until Friday (and of course I hope it doesn't come to
that!). I feel fine. But I wasn't swollen like this yesterday. If you were
me, would you go in for a protein test, given that I had PE last time, even
though I feel fine?

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old October 29th 04, 10:18 PM
ModernMiko

"Leslie" wrote in message
[...]

I'm a firm believer in "Better safe than sorry" when it comes to pregnancy.
I would at least call and see what they recommend.

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

aka CatnipSlayer @ livin-it-up.net
--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Old October 29th 04, 10:34 PM
Nikki

Leslie wrote:

If you were me, would you go in for a protein test, given
that I had PE last time, even though I feel fine?

Yes - or at least go take your blood pressure somewhere.

Hang in there Leslie!!

--
Nikki

Old October 29th 04, 10:49 PM
Todd Gastaldo

"Leslie" wrote in message
This morning my feet were so swollen (pitting edema) that I could barely
squeeze them into the size 11 shoes I have been wearing while pregnant (my
real
shoes are 9.5!). They went down some while napping but not much. My eyes
are
also very puffy today.

I don't see the doctor until Friday (and of course I hope it doesn't come
that!). I feel fine. But I wasn't swollen like this yesterday. If you
were
me, would you go in for a protein test, given that I had PE last time,
even
though I feel fine?

Leslie,

Garry Siegel, MD answered a woman in regard to pitting edema...

See below..

Good thoughts from here - and a cyberhug of course. : )

Todd

At Mon, 27 May 2002, Maile wrote:
In the begining of this preg.I had some HBP readings. One reading (if I
remember correctly) was 170+/120. Around the 2nd trimester BP has been
good according to my OB. I have had some bouts with edema on & off for
the past couple of months, which is no shock in late preg. But, as of
right now I am 35 wks& cannot believe how swollen I am tonight! I had my
heal resting on my shin (laying on left side to keep the swelling at
bay)& had a HUGE (no exaggeration) dent in my shin. After 10 minutes
the dent was still deep and very slowly disappearing,& face & hands are
swollen. I have tried drinking lots of water, watching the salt, &
getting plenty of time on my left side. Should I be concerned about
preeclampsia?? What other signs should I be watching for? I have talked
to my OB about inducing (for other reasons) at 38 wks, but if this keeps
up do you think it would be feasible to up it to 36-37 wks? I was
getting a lot of BH ctx's & called one of the OB's last night & let her
know about those, along with the fact that my vision was even screwy.
She didn't seem the least bit concerned, & now I am wondering if this is
an issue I need to push. My other OB who was on his own 2 yrs ago when
he delivered my son is wonderful, but this lady seems to have her own
opinions and they often vary with his.
Thank you so much if you stuck through this long post,& for any opinions
you may have on this matter!

Some people swell a ton without a diagnosis of pre-eclampsia/gestational
hypertension (I posted the definitions earlier today somewhere). Until a
diagnosis is made, induction is not appropriate generally, and certainly not
before 39 weeks, in my opinion. An induction at 36 or 37 weeks without a
clear medical reason is not appropriate due to prematurity/lung maturity
concerns (but if you go into labor on your own at that time, it almost
always is OK).

I would watch for symptoms, and stay off of your feet, and let your doc
watch your BP once or twice a week.

Good luck.

--
Garry E. Siegel, M.D.
Private Practice

Old October 29th 04, 11:06 PM
Donna Metler

"Leslie" wrote in message
This morning my feet were so swollen (pitting edema) that I could barely
squeeze them into the size 11 shoes I have been wearing while pregnant (my

real
shoes are 9.5!). They went down some while napping but not much. My eyes

are
also very puffy today.

I don't see the doctor until Friday (and of course I hope it doesn't come

that!). I feel fine. But I wasn't swollen like this yesterday. If you

were
me, would you go in for a protein test, given that I had PE last time,

even
though I feel fine?

Can you check your BP at home, or go to one of the pharmacies which have the
monitors there, and see how that is doing? That might give you a better clue
as to what is going on. I strongly suspect, as close to your due date as you
are with a history of PE, that if you go into L&D with any symptoms at all,
the OB on call is likely to want to deliver.

Old October 30th 04, 04:33 AM
Leslie

JennL said:

I would at least call and see what they recommend.

I think I will call, but I am going to wait until Monday since my BP is okay,
so I get my own doctor who will not do anything rash.

Old October 30th 04, 04:35 AM
Leslie

Todd said:

Garry Siegel, MD answered a woman in regard to pitting edema...

See below..

Good thoughts from here - and a cyberhug of course. : )

Thanks for all that, Todd. That about agrees with what my own OB did last
time, when I was diagnosed with PE but he let me go into labor on my own
provided I stayed on bed rest.

Old October 30th 04, 04:36 AM
Leslie

Donna said:

Can you check your BP at home, or go to one of the pharmacies which have the
monitors there, and see how that is doing?

Just did it--thanks for the advice. You would think I would have thought of
that!

That might give you a better clue
as to what is going on. I strongly suspect, as close to your due date as you
are with a history of PE, that if you go into L&D with any symptoms at all,
the OB on call is likely to want to deliver.

ITA. I am staying far away from there!

Old October 30th 04, 06:50 AM
Jenrose

"Leslie" wrote in message
This morning my feet were so swollen (pitting edema) that I could barely
squeeze them into the size 11 shoes I have been wearing while pregnant (my
real
shoes are 9.5!). They went down some while napping but not much. My eyes
are
also very puffy today.

I don't see the doctor until Friday (and of course I hope it doesn't come
that!). I feel fine. But I wasn't swollen like this yesterday. If you
were
me, would you go in for a protein test, given that I had PE last time,
even
though I feel fine?

My reaction would be to draw a deep bath, soak up to my neck for half an
hour, drink a bunch of water, get out, pee a lot, and then go lie down for a
while.

I might check my blood pressure--if that was up at all I'd add some extra
magnesium to the mix, and probably some chicken soup.

If that didn't help, yeah, I'd probably get it checked out if it's abrupt.

Jenrose

Old October 30th 04, 04:29 PM
Todd Gastaldo

"Leslie" wrote in message
Todd said:

Garry Siegel, MD answered a woman in regard to pitting edema...

See below..

Good thoughts from here - and a cyberhug of course. : )

Thanks for all that, Todd.

You're welcome of course.

Garry Siegel, MD has a sense of humor.

Back when I got censored from OB-GYN-List, I cc'd a bunch of the OB
subscribers privately...

Garry wrote and asked me to stop sending stuff to him - so I did...

Garry subsequently wrote on OB-GYN-List...

"If I can hone in on [Gastaldo's] location, I'm sending in the bombers
with--you guessed it--Pitocin, cytotec, Plastibells and Gomcos, no holds
barred."
http://forums.obgyn.net/ob-gyn-l/OBGYNL.0109/0685.html

LOL.

That about agrees with what my own OB did last
time, when I was diagnosed with PE but he let me go into labor on my own
provided I stayed on bed rest.

It seems to me that OBs are sharp as tacks - except when it comes to opening
birth canals the "extra" up to 30%...

OBs keep birth canals closed - and bomb babies with Pitocin and Cytotec.

But I'm preaching to the converted I think.

I hope this email finds you in labor. : )

Todd