Baby names and NO idea

Old June 13th 07, 12:50 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

Default Baby names and NO idea

Jamie Clark wrote:
"NL" wrote in message

What about Sabrina? Or Sadie? Do Sophie or Sophia work in German? What
about Simone? What about Sarabeth, and you could call her Sara? Serafina?
Serena? Shannon? Sharilyn? Shayla? Shelby? Sylvia? Sydney? Sybil?
Susannah? Stacey? Spencer? Sloane? Sigrid?

Sofia might work actually. Sarabeth she'd probably end up spelling for
every teacher, just like most of the other names ;-)

Btw: Where did you get all those names? I don't think my baby name books
have that many S names for girls! (2.5 small Pages for both boys and
girls plus explanation of meaning for every name)

All that said, I will go with Sara Katrin if I don't have some kind of
epiphany or a name comes to me in my sleep.

Frankly, I like it. It sounds like it resonates, and who cares if it's a
popular name. It's your kid. And it's not a bad name, or trendy sounding.
It's classic.

I know, but I see myself standing at the playground yelling
"Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaa time to go hooooooooooooooooooome!" and all of a
sudden 5 girls come running to me kind of thing ;-)
That said, Nicole was a popular name when I was born and I still only
ended up with another Nicole in my classes twice in my whole school
"career" (13 years). So, who knows.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

cu
nicole
Old June 13th 07, 01:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jeni Steers

I think I must be a bit unusal judging by everyone's replies to your post.
With William it took us ages to find many boys names we liked and in the end
this was the only one we both liked. Thankfully we loved it and he suits his
name. Girls names were easier. This time round we've glanced through one
book. I highlighted a few names and df picked out one girl and one boy I
really liked that he really liked too - so looks like job done. One is from
the original boys list - James - and the other a complete newbie - Isobel!.
I've always loved the name James and I think it goes with William but was
surprised at Isobel. Maybe perhaps because it's like Elizabeth we can't do
because of family issues that even I'm not insensitive enough to bypass.

As for the buying stuff. We've been incredibly fortunate and have been given
some money, so a chunk of that is dedicated to #2. I adored buying new stuff
the first time and I feel exactly the same with this little beanie. To me
it's just as thrilling as #1 and I'm following every growth milestone. I
also think in a way it's a chance for me to try and not make some mistakes I
think I made with William because I didn't find my instinctive 'mothering'
skills very easily with a screaming newborn and it definitely affected the
decisions I made. I have a clearer idea of what to expect and how to deal
with it and I'm hoping that will help me bond quicker with #2 than I did
with William. Or just to find out that I'm just not a newborn type - who
knows?

Jeni

Old June 13th 07, 01:32 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
ncrist

On Jun 13, 10:34 am, "Lucy-lu" wrote:
"NL" wrote in message

I know the feeling. I have a girl name and we're all pretty sure it will
be a girl. (Sara Katrin) but all of a sudden the baby doesn't "feel" like
a Sara anymore, plus I just found out Sara/Sarah is number 7 in the most
popular names list this year. YAY. So now I'm trying to find another girl
name with an S. And there aren't any! I like Salome but Sam already vetoed
it and I kind of don't see me yelling "Salomeeeeeeeeeeeee" on the
playground, Stefanie, Sonja, Susanne, Sabine all make me shudder because I
know at least one of each who was a stupid cow. I like Sandra, but that's
my cousins name. And really there aren't that many more that are
pronouncable in german as well as in english/french. I like biblical names
even though I don't "do" god/religion, simply because they're usually
pronouncable in any language. I like Abigail, but in german... No go.
Besides, doesn't start with an S. I like Ruth, but Sam doesn't. He wants a
Sara Anna but Anna's my mothers name so I vetoed that *lol*.
I hate picking out names. For Sam it took nearly the whole pregnancy and
even then I wasn't sure, but I looked at him and he was a Samuel
Christoph, so that was alright.
I have no boy name. It better be a girl.

All that said, I will go with Sara Katrin if I don't have some kind of
epiphany or a name comes to me in my sleep.

I quite like Samira/Semira, I think it works well in German too. Serena,
Scarlett and Shannon are all quite nice. Sienna might work quite well. I
like Sylvie.

But then what do I know - I definitely didn't want an S name! Didn't
think they went well with my surname!

Lucy x

actually, I do quite like Sienna Katrin!

Sam and Samira? hmmm. That might not be a smart move.

Old June 13th 07, 02:08 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sue

"beyond the pale" wrote in message
I don't have the time to dwell on this pregnancy like I did with #1 and
it's really obvious.

That's pretty typical. By the time I was on my third, I couldn't tell you
right off how far along I was, lol. There was just no time to belly gaze
like there was the first time around.

This time around, I figure we'll wait until about 8.5 months and throw
something together if we even fix the room up before the birth- I saved
all the baby gear so we have the crib and swing etc. I saved clothing too
a lot of which is unisex for the first year..

Now you know that you don't all that stuff right in the beginning. I have to
laugh at myself now when I think back to my first and I had to have
everything, like high chair, etcxx. When in reality, all you need in the
beginning is a place to sleep, clothes, and your milk.

Even worse though, I haven't a CLUE about names. I do think about it, but
I have not hit upon a name I really like for either gender and if I do
have something I'm partial to, I cannot come up with a nice middle name.
Ack. Has anyone else gone until the last minute and had no name?? I am far
from last minute- LOL. But I keep telling myself I won't think of names
until the last month or so.

Well it's still pretty early. With my second, we couldn't agree on names and
had a few picked out. We decided to wait until she was born to see what she
looked like and then decided on a name. It's really not that big of a deal.

As far as the names go, name your child what you want and forget about what
others have named their kids. I do think in the same family might be
awkward, but not if it was just my friends who had the same name. My friend
and I both named our kids the same, no biggy.

LOl but really, I feel like if I have nothing else ready that's fine but
it's too bad not to have a name. This means I will surely go into labor
early and will not be prepared.

I think having clothes ready and a place to sleep is far more important.

Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 13th 07, 03:43 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

On Jun 12, 11:39 pm, NL wrote:
beyond the pale wrote:
[...]

Ok, so for a list of German "S" names for a girl, go he

http://www.babynology.com/german_bab...0_meaning.html

Perhaps something will strike your fancy. :-)

My question is "Why 'S'?" As someone who grew up in a family of all
'S' names (including the pets), let me tell you, it was *highly*
annoying. I've sworn off giving any names to future children that are
duplicates of any current family members (so for next baby, A, G, J,
and S are completely out). Anyway, I just thought I 'd throw that out
there in case you hadn't thought of it. :-)

HTH!
Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James

Old June 13th 07, 04:22 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

"NL" wrote in message
Jamie Clark wrote:
"NL" wrote in message

What about Sabrina? Or Sadie? Do Sophie or Sophia work in German? What
about Simone? What about Sarabeth, and you could call her Sara?
Serafina? Serena? Shannon? Sharilyn? Shayla? Shelby? Sylvia? Sydney?
Sybil? Susannah? Stacey? Spencer? Sloane? Sigrid?

Sofia might work actually. Sarabeth she'd probably end up spelling for
every teacher, just like most of the other names ;-)

Well, even if she had to spell it for teachers, the plus side is that all
she has to say is "How do I spell it? Just like it sounds, Sara - no H and
Beth" Unless Beth is just not a name ever heard in your parts.

Btw: Where did you get all those names? I don't think my baby name books
have that many S names for girls! (2.5 small Pages for both boys and girls
plus explanation of meaning for every name)

One of the baby name websites. Probably babnamer.com, but could be
babynameworld.com

All that said, I will go with Sara Katrin if I don't have some kind of
epiphany or a name comes to me in my sleep.

Frankly, I like it. It sounds like it resonates, and who cares if it's a
popular name. It's your kid. And it's not a bad name, or trendy
sounding. It's classic.

I know, but I see myself standing at the playground yelling
"Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaa time to go hooooooooooooooooooome!" and all of a sudden
5 girls come running to me kind of thing ;-)

So when you are hollering at her to come home at dusk, instead of yelling
"Saraaaaaaa!" you yell, "SaraaaaaaKaaaaaatrinnnnnnn" and ONLY she will come
running. Plus, kids know the sound of their moms voices. : )

That said, Nicole was a popular name when I was born and I still only
ended up with another Nicole in my classes twice in my whole school
"career" (13 years). So, who knows.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

You're welcome. If you hadn't noticed, I love the whole naming game.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 13th 07, 04:48 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

On Jun 12, 7:28 pm, "beyond the pale"
wrote:
So, Kate what? What Kate? I am out of ideas. Meredith Kate? Too clsoe to
Mary Kate.Someone suggested to me Katelyn Brooke, but I don't know...not
fond of Katelyn. If I did use, it would be Caitlyn. Or is it Caitlin? I am
growing fond of Caitlin/Caitlyn actually... what else goes well with plain
Kate though? Hannah Kate, I just don't know.

I say if you like Kate, go with Kate. For a middle name, I would
choose a name with 2-3-4 syllables instead of just one. How many
syllables is your last name? What letter does it start with? I'd also
probably stay away from hard 'a' sounds to vary the name a little.
Ones I came up with:

Kate Alexandra
Kate Elizabeth
Kate Madeline
Kate Meredith
Kate Margaret
Kate Samantha
Kate Victoria
Kate Eleanor
Kate Evelyn
Kate Rebecca
Kate Natalia
Kate Allison
Kate Alyssa
Kate Gabrielle
Kate Rochelle
Kate Danielle
Kate Sophia

I personally think Kate Elizabeth or Kate Danielle sound to my ears
like they flow better than some of the others. Keep in mind that Kate
means "pure", so you may want to shy away from middle names that mean
something other than what you like (We were originally thinking
Katheryn Rochelle for a girl's name, but that means "pure sheep", and
we didn't like that meaning, so we chose not to go that route...).

For a boy I have even less ideas as I don't have a name that I love like
Kate. Zachary?.....William....? Joshua? I can't come up with anything. All
the boy names I like are "taken" by family members. I like Thomas but it's
way taken. I like Benjamin, it's used by someone nearby and I would feel
awkward to name my kid that too. Same with Adam. It's actually used by two
people so it would be more awkward, otherwise I like Adam...grrr! It really
would feel awkward to name my kid something that someone related to me or
near me in some way has named their kid, you know? They took all the good
names, how could they do that to me? :P

If you really like Adam, what about Aidan, Aaron, Ethan, or Evan? If
you like Thomas, what about Lucas, Tobias, or Travis? Can't really
think of anything similar to Benjamin. It sounds like you like fairly
classic names, that might also be Biblical names? I'm in that sector,
so:

Matthew
Benjamin
Joshua*
Jonathan*
Thomas*
Timothy*
James*
Aaron*
Nathan* (although I actually prefer Nathaniel)
Daniel*
Joseph
Samuel
Josiah
Adam
Alexander (obviously)
Andrew*
Stephen*
Christopher*
Isaac
Jacob*
Jonah
Michael
Peter
Paul*
Philip
Seth*
Simon
Zachary/Zachariah

(I'm sort of in the same quandry as you are--I have a large family,
and we're very close, so I have to be *very* careful about names and
either giving people inflated egos or showing "favortism" Yet many of
the names I love have already been used! The ones above with * are the
ones already used in the family!)

HTH!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James

Old June 13th 07, 04:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
beyond the pale

"Jamie Clark" wrote

Well, even if she had to spell it for teachers, the plus side is that all
she has to say is "How do I spell it? Just like it sounds, Sara - no H
and Beth" Unless Beth is just not a name ever heard in your parts.

The way people change spellings, almost anything could need to be spelled,
even the teacher doesn't think so. Look how many names are on the Top 100
SSN List that are on there several times with variant spellings.

Madison sounds simple, right? But some people spell it Madyson now. I
remember back in the day Melissa was a very common name and now I see it
coming back, but it's often spelled Melyssa. I even know a Malyssa. Jacob,
Jakob, Katelynn, Kaitlin, Catelyn, too many to list, and as I was thinking
of using Caitlin I realized I can't remember the "proper" way to spell it, I
am still thinking is it Caitlin or Caitlyn?? LOL..And then I wonder, would
that make her Cate or Cait? :P

Old June 13th 07, 05:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

[...]

I totally agree, about having to spell pretty much any name now. Even the
old standards of Ann, could be Anne. My last name is Clark, which I always
have to say, "No e." It's just a fact of life, but mostly it is all those
dang "creative" spellers who are to blame. Oh well.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 13th 07, 05:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Puester

NL wrote:
beyond the pale wrote:

[...]

Susanne/Susannah? Serena? Soria? Savannah?

Personally, I love Sarah and have for many years.

gp

Help With Baby Names! Blue Eyes Blue Pregnancy 10 April 22nd 13 10:11 AM
Great Baby Gift Idea Suzuki Pregnancy 0 August 22nd 04 05:36 PM
Baby Names Felicia-Y-Ruben... Baby - March 14 05 Pregnancy 2 July 28th 04 04:24 AM
Baby names Scott Pregnancy 0 June 18th 04 11:02 AM
Baby Names annafine Pregnancy 20 September 3rd 03 09:36 PM