car seat neck restraint

Old August 12th 07, 08:00 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected][_2_]

Default car seat neck restraint

hi there,our baby is 3 months old.we got her a restraint when she was
born to keep head from rollg to a side. how long do we keep using this
u-shaped cushion to keep head firmly in place in car seat? thx

Old August 12th 07, 10:14 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

As long as it seems to fit and work.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

oups.com...

Old August 13th 07, 11:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ebony Stares

I would say that you stop using that part when the car seat gets turned
around to face the front of the car and the baby is supporting his/her own
neck properly.

Ebony

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..
As long as it seems to fit and work.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys -- 01/03/03
Addison Grace -- 09/30/04

oups.com...

Old August 13th 07, 11:59 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

If it's u-shaped (i.e., nothing behind the baby's
back or head), then you can use it as long as it seems
helpful to you. Technically, you shouldn't ever use one
that has padding behind the head or back unless it came
with the carseat itself (safety risk).

I was going to say the same, but then it occurred to me, that some
seats, particularly ones that aren't just baby rear facing ones don't
come with some such item, then how on earth is the babies head going to
be supported? Our car seat came with one and I'd consider it absolutely
essential for at least 3 months or so. Ours was a full insert that had
the padded U at the top, there was also a wedge that went in a pocket at
the bottom, removing the wedge was a matter of size, I think around
11-12lb, stopping using the insert completely was more a matter of
development, I think around 5months.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 14th 07, 12:02 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Ebony Stares wrote:
I would say that you stop using that part when the car seat gets turned
around to face the front of the car and the baby is supporting his/her own
neck properly.

but those are two completely different times, turning the seat round is
not recommended until the baby is both 1 year old and 20lb and that's
the law in some places, not needing head support is much younger,
definitely under 6 months.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 14th 07, 12:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

If it's u-shaped (i.e., nothing behind the baby's
back or head), then you can use it as long as it seems
helpful to you. Technically, you shouldn't ever use one
that has padding behind the head or back unless it came
with the carseat itself (safety risk).

I was going to say the same, but then it occurred to me, that some
seats, particularly ones that aren't just baby rear facing ones don't
come with some such item, then how on earth is the babies head going to
be supported?

You can just use a rolled up towel. You just don't
put anything *behind* the baby.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 14th 07, 01:38 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:

If it's u-shaped (i.e., nothing behind the baby's
back or head), then you can use it as long as it seems
helpful to you. Technically, you shouldn't ever use one
that has padding behind the head or back unless it came
with the carseat itself (safety risk).

I was going to say the same, but then it occurred to me, that some
seats, particularly ones that aren't just baby rear facing ones don't
come with some such item, then how on earth is the babies head going
to be supported?

You can just use a rolled up towel. You just don't
put anything *behind* the baby.

which is a whole host less convenient than something that's fixed, and
it's not something that I've ever seen mentioned in a car seat buying
guide or anything, it was luck not judgement that had ours coming with
one and it was essential, with a 5lb baby, the wedge thingy was the only
way the seat would fit and that was with a real nappy, with a bigger
baby it was less essential, but I wouldn't have been comfortable without
at least something to prevent major head role. As you've noticed, I was
posting about car seats on misc.kids, the one Akuvikate suggested is a
convertible for use from birth, it doesn't appear to come with an
insert, yet with it being for up to 55lb, I can't see how on earth it's
going to fit a tiny baby without one, the inserts seem to be pretty
widely available, yet the advice not to use them very deeply buried, if
you're going to have laws governing car seat use, surely this kind of
thing should be more known about and sale of such items prohibited.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 14th 07, 03:54 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

There aren't any laws about this, and most people don't
even know it--just as most people don't know that the effectiveness
of seatbelts (or carseat restraints) is lessened if you're wearing
thick, compressible clothing underneath (e.g., a thick coat, jacket,
sweater, etc.). It is occasionally mentioned, but not very often.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 14th 07, 03:55 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

There aren't any laws about this, and most people don't
even know it--just as most people don't know that the effectiveness
of seatbelts (or carseat restraints) is lessened if you're wearing
thick, compressible clothing underneath (e.g., a thick coat, jacket,
sweater, etc.). It is occasionally mentioned, but not very often.

well exactly, the laws are pretty strict when it comes to what seat it
has to be, but not how to use it, which seems to defeat the object, the
only usage thing I've seen mentioned either in the law or as a
clarification of it is about children having to have the shoulder belt
over their shoulder and not under their arm.

Cheers
Anne

Cord around the neck Sophie Pregnancy 17 August 2nd 04 05:57 PM
infant car seat in toyota tacoma - problems with passenger seat Mick Backsen Pregnancy 1 March 30th 04 04:28 PM
Lump on baby's neck - scared Laura Faussone Kids Health 6 January 16th 04 01:01 AM
Why are new cars missing car seat LATCH for rear middle seat???? Paula Pregnancy 44 November 12th 03 09:13 AM