Pumping in public bathrooms?

Old October 9th 06, 05:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irene

Default Pumping in public bathrooms?

Caledonia wrote:
cjra wrote:
Am I the only one that things this is not reasonable?
Is this along the lines of people thinking one can nurse in a bathroom
stall?

Um, count me as someone who thinks that it's not reasonable, but in the
grand scheme of things, a lot more reasonable than a 6-week or 8-week
maternity leave.

Two people today suggested that in such a matter of fact way like why
was I concerned?There are bathrooms in that building... Neither of them
have ever BF'd or pumped before, though.

next week I have two full days where I'll be at an alternate site for
an exercise. I know the building well and there are plenty of little
rooms so I'm not worried. But I mentioned to my boss (male) that I'd
need to take 2 breaks from the exercise so I could pump (normally I do
it in my office), he said no worries, I said now I just have to figure
out where i'll go and he said "You know there are plenty of bathrooms
there." I said that was not ideal ..... then later, I mention the same
to a nurse who will be working with me that day, and she says "you know
that building well, you KNOW how many bathrooms there are there."

Ummm, 1 - the bathrooms are often not equipped with an outlet (I don't
have mine battery operated at the moment),

I've found that most bathrooms, oddly enough, have been equipped with
outlets; figuring this out was a *profound* relief (the Lactina didn't
have batteries), and the key was a really long extension cord and an
attitude of what could best be described as 'screw you, I need to do
this for my baby.'

As it happens, it's a code requirement in most (if not all) US codes to
have an outlet by the lav, so, not so odd! I think it was originally
meant for things like razors and hairdryers?

2-even if it was I'd have to
stand up in the common area and pumping standing is no fun

Long extension cord. I kid you not.

Caledonia

I wish I'd thought of the extension cord - I did end up pumping in the
ladies room at a conference once, and was pretty self-conscious, even
though I draped my shirt over everything. But then, I've also ended up
nursing in the ladies lounge a couple of times - once in a
changing/nursing area, and once on a bench, simply because it was right
after I needed to pee, and it was available. (NOT in a stall!!!) But
then, I've also nursed in my own bathroom at home, either while
supervising ds in a bath or while potty-training...

Irene

Old October 9th 06, 07:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"cjra" wrote and I snipped:
It's no big deal, I'll find a place and my workplace is 100% supportive
of BF/pumping - they'd better be as the dept (not our division) is
launching a big BF campaign shortly, but it made me wonder if I need to
take this opportunity to educate people on what it means to be
'BF-friendly' - ie, the bathroom doesn't work - or if it's just me and
that's a common place for people to pump.

I did pump in a restroom once. But it was more like a small room with a
toilet and sink, and I was able to wheel in a comfy desk chair. I cannot
imagine sitting on a toilet and pumping my baby's milk. I feel for working
women who have no alternative.

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old October 9th 06, 10:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

wrote:
Anne Rogers writes:

: was just a faff to arrange it

Please translate into 'merikin.

:-)
Larry

Faff, noun: nuisance.

Faff, verb: mess around (general connotation of doing something that's a
nuisance).

--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell
Old October 10th 06, 03:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Irene wrote:
Caledonia wrote:

I've found that most bathrooms, oddly enough, have been equipped with
outlets; figuring this out was a *profound* relief (the Lactina didn't
have batteries), and the key was a really long extension cord and an
attitude of what could best be described as 'screw you, I need to do
this for my baby.'

As it happens, it's a code requirement in most (if not all) US codes to
have an outlet by the lav, so, not so odd! I think it was originally
meant for things like razors and hairdryers?

Hmm. I just looked in our office bathroom and no outlets anywhere. And
the handicapped stall was just that - a stall. Not a room w/bathroom.

I will look tomorrow at this building where the exercise will be.

I wish I'd thought of the extension cord - I did end up pumping in the
ladies room at a conference once, and was pretty self-conscious, even
though I draped my shirt over everything. But then, I've also ended up
nursing in the ladies lounge a couple of times - once in a
changing/nursing area, and once on a bench, simply because it was right
after I needed to pee, and it was available. (NOT in a stall!!!) But
then, I've also nursed in my own bathroom at home, either while
supervising ds in a bath or while potty-training...

Home is a little different. I know what's gone on in that bathroom, and
how recently it's been cleaned.