Interesting local article on baby names

Old September 25th 03, 11:32 PM
Circe

Default Interesting local article on baby names

"Taniwha grrrl" wrote in message
Lol. I'm with you. I don't know how someone doesn't know
Joaquin is not JoeACKwin for goodness sake.

Raises hand....see my reply to Hillary...lol
It look's french...really, I don't see how you could get the
other pronounciation out of it...lol

Try Wah-KEEN. That's pretty close. There may be slight variations between
Mexican Spanish pronunciation and Spanish Spanish pronunciation, though.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)

"She rose her eyebrows at Toby" -- from "O' Artful Death", by Sarah Stewart
Taylor

Old September 25th 03, 11:35 PM
Circe

"Taniwha grrrl" wrote in message
Sidheag McCormack wrote:
Circe writes:
On analogy with the name Sara, the pronunciation
LAIR-AH for Lara seems perfectly valid to me and
certainly not a spelling issue. I've never known
ANYONE named Sara who expected her name to be
pronounced SAR-AH--it's always SAIR-AH.

Yet here in the UK, *I*'ve never met anyone called Sara
who expected it to be pronounced SAIR-AH - that name
is IME spelled Sarah. Sara, here, is IME pronounced
SAR-AH, and I was surprised when I first read
of it being pronounced the same way as Sarah.

Ditto'ing Sidheag. Sara and Lara are pronounced Sar-ah and
Lar-ah here in New Zealand, never heard them pronounced as
Lair-ah or Sair-ah until I came on-line and mingled with the
Americans. Barbara you've probably only heard them
pronounced the second way because of your American accent,
which seems to drawl those types of names.

Well, I could certainly *hear* the difference if anyone I knew pronounced it
differently. And I *do* know Lara is usually pronounced LAR-AH rather than
LAIR-AH (Dr. Zhivago and all that), but honestly, it's always SAIR-AH here
regardless of the spelling and it's a revelation to me that anyone anywhere
pronounces is SAR-AH, whether it's got an "h" at the end or not!

Live and learn g!

Old September 25th 03, 11:38 PM
Circe

"Sophie" wrote in message
I see no problems with "Emerson".

I don't either. I like it

So do I. And I don't know why I like it when I don't like a lot of other
surnames-as-first-names. Like I said, I just know what I like (and what I
don't).

Old September 25th 03, 11:41 PM
Taniwha grrrl

Nina wrote:

There is a difference between properly pronouncing "Buena

Vista",for
example, and translating.

I agree, I think. If it's a globally accepted place name or
such I thing no matter what your nationality you should at
least try to understand 'that' country's way of pronouncing
it, unless they themselves are fairly tolerant or don't mind
it being pronounced differently.
I'm always hearing Maori being pronounced May-or-ee on
places like the E! channel, when it's Mou-ree, I'm not even
Maori and I find it insulting to hear it mispronounced
myself.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old September 25th 03, 11:47 PM
Kari

Traditionally, Ashley is a boy name anyway. Think "Gone with the
Wind". Actually, all of the Ashleys that I know over the age of about
25 are men.

--
Daye

Ashley is my husband's middle name. He's 30

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due on Sunday

Old September 25th 03, 11:49 PM
Taniwha grrrl

Sophie wrote:

And Jaden (Jayden) sounds girly but
I've only heard it for boys.

I only know it for celebrities' babies.

Last time I checked I wasn't a celebrity, well maybe in my
own mind, and I have a Jayden.

Old September 25th 03, 11:49 PM
Tatjana Farkin

"Daye" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

So we were left with "Emerson". According to a name site, it is
German in origin and means "Industrious". Is it commonly used as a
first name in Germany? No clue.

I've never heard it in Germany at all - neither as a first name, last
name or just *word*. If it's German, it must be a rather rare and
antiquated word (I studied German linguistics).

I'm happy to be corrected, though, should anyone know more :-)

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Old September 25th 03, 11:50 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Taniwha grrrl" wrote:

Iuil wrote:

A neighbour of my grandmother's called her daughter

Juanita. She'd
heard the name while on holiday in Spain and thought it

was pretty.
But she'd never seen it written down. So she spelled it

phonetically.

Yup, daughter's name is Waneeta!

Well when I was reading mst popular baby names lists for the
US I thought there was a lot of nutters out there naming
their kid Jesus, I had no idea it was a popular latin name
and pronounced completely different to the Jesus of the
loaves and fishes fame.

it is exactly the same name and pronounced the way Spanish speakers
pronounce the lord's name
Old September 25th 03, 11:53 PM
Sophie

Raises hand....see my reply to Hillary...lol
It look's french...really, I don't see how you could get the
other pronounciation out of it...lol

--
Andrea

Um, cos it's Spanish - lol.

Old September 25th 03, 11:54 PM
Sophie

I agree, I think. If it's a globally accepted place name or
such I thing no matter what your nationality you should at
least try to understand 'that' country's way of pronouncing
it, unless they themselves are fairly tolerant or don't mind
it being pronounced differently.
I'm always hearing Maori being pronounced May-or-ee on
places like the E! channel, when it's Mou-ree, I'm not even
Maori and I find it insulting to hear it mispronounced
myself.

--
Andrea

Interesting cos I've *never* heard it pronounced May-or-ee. Always Maori (I
have no idea how to spell out how to pronounce that - lol).

Interesting local article on baby names sher General 292 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Tips/tricks for first time moms: Add your suggestions! JuliesSolo Pregnancy 34 September 19th 03 08:26 PM
Lydia's Birthstory (long) Andrea Pregnancy 29 September 7th 03 07:23 AM
Baby Names annafine Pregnancy 20 September 3rd 03 09:36 PM
31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long) Elly Pregnancy 6 August 14th 03 06:15 PM