when to call the ped?

Old September 23rd 05, 05:54 PM
emilymr

Default when to call the ped?

Micah's had a runny nose/cough for the last 3 weeks; it varies as to
intensity, but it hasn't gone away, either. He's acting fine -- he's
sleeping well, eating a ton, is as active as ever, and generally seems
pretty happy -- so I haven't called the dr. on it. Oh, just to add to the
data points: we *did* have a fun ER visit 2 weekends ago, while on
vacation in CT (and missed my cousin's wedding ) when he was diagnosed
with conjunctivitis; he was on topical antibiotics for a week.

So anyway, when do I call the ped? He's had lots of colds (argh, so much
for breastfed babies not getting sick), and they tend to hang on, but 3
weeks? On the other hand, I don't want to take him in for nothing.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old September 23rd 05, 07:34 PM
Emily

Three weeks doesn't sound beyond the pale to me. I
wouldn't be scheduling an appointment, but they probably
have a nurse's line you can call for reassurance.

Emily
--
DS1 5/02
DS2 9/05
Old September 23rd 05, 07:35 PM
Jamie Clark

You know, there is a difference between calling the ped and taking them in
to the ped or ER. Calling is always okay. Really. If you are concerned
enough to ask the question here, call your ped and ask them. They may
listen to the history and tell you that you should bring him in if it
continues for another week, or they may want you to bring him in tomorrow,
just for a look see. Either way, that's what they are there for.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

lkaboutparenting.com...

Old September 23rd 05, 07:48 PM
Nikki

emilymr wrote:

So anyway, when do I call the ped? He's had lots of colds (argh, so
much for breastfed babies not getting sick), and they tend to hang
on, but 3 weeks? On the other hand, I don't want to take him in for
nothing.

You can always call and speak with the nurse. She'll let you know if you
need to schedule an appoitment or if you can hold out longer. 3 weeks is
not all that long for some colds. Hunter's would hang on and he'd get over
it. Luke's would hang on and he'd get a secondary infection so I put off
taking him in longer then I should have a couple of times until I figured it
out :-)

With Luke he'd start to feel worse very very gradually so it was hard to
notice. He'd get sickly smelling breath, or he'd get a fever a week or more
after the intitial cold which I was told is often a sign of a secondary
bacterial infection.

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old September 23rd 05, 08:37 PM
Welches

"emilymr" emily@xxxxxx wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
Micah's had a runny nose/cough for the last 3 weeks; it varies as to
intensity, but it hasn't gone away, either. He's acting fine -- he's
sleeping well, eating a ton, is as active as ever, and generally seems
pretty happy -- so I haven't called the dr. on it. Oh, just to add to the
data points: we *did* have a fun ER visit 2 weekends ago, while on
vacation in CT (and missed my cousin's wedding ) when he was diagnosed
with conjunctivitis; he was on topical antibiotics for a week.

So anyway, when do I call the ped? He's had lots of colds (argh, so much
for breastfed babies not getting sick), and they tend to hang on, but 3
weeks? On the other hand, I don't want to take him in for nothing.

I wouldn't take him in if he's eating and otherwise fine. 3 weeks isn't that
long for a cold. If he's getting worse, it's going to the chest or he's
obviously miserable or not feeding then I'd take them in. However most of
the time it wouldn't be necessary even then.
Both of mine (breastfed) have had a period round a year where they've had
one thing after another. #1 had a month where she had ear infection followed
by conjunctivitis, followed by ear infection... #2 had it worse, more like 3
months, where she had various things with about 8 sets of antibiotics in
that time.
Is his temperature up? My general rule is if the temperature is fine, and
they're generally happy, it's nothing to worry about.
Debbie

Old September 23rd 05, 09:27 PM
Nan

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:48:44 -0500, "Nikki" wrote:

With Luke he'd start to feel worse very very gradually so it was hard to
notice. He'd get sickly smelling breath, or he'd get a fever a week or more
after the intitial cold which I was told is often a sign of a secondary
bacterial infection.

Same with my ds. His breath would smell like Juicy Fruit gum when he
got ill enough to see the ped.

Nan

Old September 23rd 05, 09:29 PM
Nan

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:54:23 -0400, "emilymr" emily@xxxxxx wrote:

Micah's had a runny nose/cough for the last 3 weeks; it varies as to
intensity, but it hasn't gone away, either. He's acting fine -- he's
sleeping well, eating a ton, is as active as ever, and generally seems
pretty happy -- so I haven't called the dr. on it. Oh, just to add to the
data points: we *did* have a fun ER visit 2 weekends ago, while on
vacation in CT (and missed my cousin's wedding ) when he was diagnosed
with conjunctivitis; he was on topical antibiotics for a week.

So anyway, when do I call the ped? He's had lots of colds (argh, so much
for breastfed babies not getting sick), and they tend to hang on, but 3
weeks? On the other hand, I don't want to take him in for nothing.

I usually determine when to take either of mine in by monitoring how
they act, not so much the symptoms, or even their temp. If he's
acting okay and the discharge is clear, I wouldn't schedule an appt,
but I may call and talk to the nurse-on-call. Running the symptoms by
the nurse and asking her advice can't hurt.

Nan